Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Glasses prescription - again


Recommended Posts

at some point in life, even when retired, one must ask themselves what their time is worth, provided you have good enough eyesight to see your watch.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking about this problem in the week too.

 

I am think that before long I will need varifocals, the best opticians in the city also has this policy that the test is free but you have to buy the frames and lenses from them. 
 

If they had some frames that weren’t from the 90s or if I could take some nicer frames and they supplied the lenses I wouldn’t have a problem, 

 

I was thinking Singapore might be a worth a visit when restrictions are lifted. Does anyone have any info?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Normal procedure is that you choose a frame and lenses (company, quality and features) and then they check what lenses you need if you don't know it. Just ask if they have equipment to do this at the beginning. I understand that the shops will not do it the other way around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, recom273 said:

the best opticians in the city also has this policy that the test is free but you have to buy the frames and lenses from them. 

Not true.  I have had very good opticians in CM do eye tests and put new lenses in my old frames without any complaint or comment about buying new frames from them.

 

But do go to Singapore, it is a wonderful place to visit.  They even have trash cans you can dump all your misinformation into, free.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Not true.  I have had very good opticians in CM do eye tests and put new lenses in my old frames without any complaint or comment about buying new frames from them.

 

But do go to Singapore, it is a wonderful place to visit.  They even have trash cans you can dump all your misinformation into, free.


What isn’t true? 
 

The opticians in my city which others on this forum suggest is the best (which isn’t CNX) is run by an optical specialst from the local university hospital. They will do an eye test but they won’t allow you to take the prescription away, the frames and lenses must be bought from the clinic. Seems a bit weird, because I would rather pay for a decent test by a trained medical professional than by some eye candy at top chareon. 

 

Just post your opticians and I will be sure not to visit, because not only did you misread my post, but you also missed the OP where he mentions the vision centre at Thapae. 😉  So this is not the only place where this is practiced. 

 

“dump my misinformation for free” - you need to calm yourself down fella.

Edited by recom273
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, recom273 said:

I am think that before long I will need varifocals,

Tried those....absolutley hated them.....drove me mad...continuously lifting and dropping you head to get things into focus....

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, recom273 said:


What isn’t true? 
 

The opticians in my city which others on this forum suggest is the best (which isn’t CNX) is run by an optical specialst from the local university hospital. They will do an eye test but they won’t allow you to take the prescription away, the frames and lenses must be bought from the clinic. Seems a bit weird, because I would rather pay for a decent test by a trained medical professional than by some eye candy at top chareon. 

 

Just post your opticians and I will be sure not to visit, because not only did you misread my post, but you also missed the OP where he mentions the vision centre at Thapae. 😉  So this is not the only place where this is practiced. 

 

“dump my misinformation for free” - you need to calm yourself down fella.

Jibberish.

Your first post said “the city” now you say it is not Chiang Mai.

 

You also said “the best opticians” but not say you were talking about one optician.

 

People read your writing not your mind.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Tried those....absolutley hated them.....drove me mad...continuously lifting and dropping you head to get things into focus....


Watching the TV or riding a bike is no problem but I can’t focus on things close, like this phone. I am forever looking under the rims of my glasses or taking them off.

 

I have worn specs for 40 years and is a new development. So something isn’t right. Like someone said, don’t mess with your eyesight.

 

I don’t value the tests they give you at the “high street” opticians by the girls who have been “trained” to operate the equipment. I didn’t realise BNH have an optometrist, I will visit them tomorrow. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, recom273 said:


Watching the TV or riding a bike is no problem but I can’t focus on things close, like this phone. I am forever looking under the rims of my glasses or taking them off.

 

I have worn specs for 40 years and is a new development. So something isn’t right. Like someone said, don’t mess with your eyesight.

 

I don’t value the tests they give you at the “high street” opticians by the girls who have been “trained” to operate the equipment. I didn’t realise BNH have an optometrist, I will visit them tomorrow. 

I would never get laser treatment that's for sure....not worth the risk...eyesight is so precious...stick to glasses.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for me to renew my prescription as well. Is the optician near the UN Pub still in business? Embarrassed to say I've been using him for years but have forgotten his name. Nice guy though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For a friendly experience, at reasonable cost, I suggest you see my previous posts on this forum about Khun Kayvin and Chaiyo Optics next to the food court area in the lower floor of Airport Plaza.

 

Of  course, If you have any dramatic or sudden change in vision; if you have any indication of any eye disease, or problem: get to an optometrist.

 

~o:37;

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...