Study reveals how much money you need to retire in Thailand

29 minutes ago, sirineou said:

What does  $389,835 Mean ?

Is that to retire for the rest of your life?  at what age?  and  how many years would that last you. ?

Good question, as a number like that in isolation is meaningless without an explanation. It talks of ''cash in the bank', but how about living property that you have to have.  No point having $500K in the bank if you live in a tent in the desert. Is it an annuity figure from a pension savings pot, or a combination of cash assets and annuity, is it income related? Does it include asset such as house (you have to live somewhere and that is a cost in cash or rent)   

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Is that to retire for the rest of your life?  at what age?  and  how many years would that last you. ?

Did you not read the post it tells you everything .

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I guess there are many sites you could visit (Hargreaves Lansdown is the one I use) that show you what happens to a lump sum invested in the stock market.

You can play around with rates of return, how much you intend to take out each month etc......can be quite frightening of you only have a smallish lump sum and no income.....it is a clear example of how money breeds money.

12 minutes ago, bolt said:

At first it may seem high, but its a reasonable amount for 14 years, it works out approx. 70K Thb per month

but 14 years seem a bit short for me.

Got to wonder if costs change much given older are, or an earlier start. Never accurately worked out how much I spend a month here, over years that is. My immediate experience tells me much less, but then they house is built and paid for, and wife's in no rush to change the car. Covid took care of traveling expenses. Still, maybe a nice (if not always useful) comparison between countries.

2 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Is this all based on ZIRP?

Are they factoring inflation (or possibly even deflation) into their figure?

I guess if you are worried about a few quid here and there then you dont qualify.....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Is this all based on ZIRP?

Are they factoring inflation (or possibly even deflation) into their figure?

Factoring on this causing a moderate steer among the the membership, more like.

25 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Yea , I agree, It would had been easier in my opinion if they had stated in a monthly or yearly  income, As it was explained to me. The amount is for qn average of 14 years of retirement . So I guess  $389,835 translates to $2,320 per month , which is more than what I spend, But I have my house and car paid for. 

I also don't have that much in savings, but I have a pension and a social security income. 

exactly