Study reveals how much money you need to retire in Thailand

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That works out at 70,000bht/month.

I'm living a much higher lifestyle than back in the UK, as a family of four, on 40,000bht/month.

If I was living alone that would reduce to between 20,000-25,000bht/month.

I guess they were basing their figures on people living in Bangkok.

As an expat retiring here how can you buy a house, ok you can buy a condo but why would you?

So all these figures mean paying rent every month. How much is the rent? depends on what and where you rent.  Weekly monthly expenses? depends what you want to spend on, imported steak and a bottle of wine every night?

Needs more detail. ????????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, sungod said:

I guess if you are worried about a few quid here and there then you dont qualify.....

I’m not worrying about a few bucks.  I have a background in Economics so those are the kinds of questions that I would normally ask.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, timendres said:

And a valid question it is, since during certain times, 10 years of inflation can be dramatic. Another valid concern is exchange rates, since most will be working with a monthly payment from SS or a pension. This, in my opinion, is the greatest risk in retirement, to which any British citizen can surely attest.

Exactly...exchange rates and ZIRP have definitely pummeled the British expats over the last 20 years.  That should be taken into account.  Maybe I should lead a less healthy lifestyle so I don’t outlive my money.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Maha Sarakham said:

I thought it was a decent (and fun) infographic attempt at comparing prices around the world.  Impossible to capture the level of detail in such a simple study that some of you are looking for.  I do think they were a bit conservative on their coffee and restaurant allocations however ???? 

It's fodder for the curmudgeons on TV to pick apart. Jesus wept...

• Like 2

ONLY a few years ago I was reading how everyone hated bitcoin, and basically hated everything else...

so i figured i would buy 8 bitcoins for  a few thousand USD and then in a few years be able to retire in Thailand forever....

easy.  

don't worry, another bitcoin will come around....but don't miss out!!!!  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

11,000,000 Baht, for 14 years, or 65,476 Baht per month, they must have been peeking at Immigration monthly income requirement, it has been 65,000 Baht per month for a few years now.

Last immigration home visit, the guy handling the "interview" asked about my monthly income. Said I don't have a fixed one, but can tell how much we spend (probably ~50 without extras/surprises), more or less. No go, kept at it for a bit, then said he's putting down 60k. Whatever. Our neighbor serving as witness got a similar treatment - the "haggling" between them about what sum went down in record was too funny. As far as I understand, it's just for their statistics, such as they are.

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

This was determined as going out once a week, takeout coffee once a week, no smoking, moderate drinking, no taxis or rideshares, eating mainly Western food at home, two vacations and renting a 1 bed apartment in a city centre, among other factors.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm living a much higher lifestyle than back in the UK, as a family of four, on 40,000bht/month.

If I was living alone that would reduce to between 20,000-25,000bht/month.

You have my sympathy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bolt said:

At first it may seem high, but its a reasonable amount for 14 years, it works out approx. 70K Thb per month

but 14 years seem a bit short for me.

It is 28 years if assuming 7% yearly returns on capital, which is acceptable to expect. Just get bitcoin already lol, or get creamed...

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1