Study reveals how much money you need to retire in Thailand

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

As is reading the thread before posting, pretty sure sirineou must be getting sick of the multitude of BMs picking him up on something he acknowledged 15 hours ago.

Sorry, that's the way it is on TVF. Live with it or not. Social media these days is not for the feint of heart. 

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Don't forget it is also about your lifestyle and how you chose to live either healthily or eating like a glutton with added vices thrown in to the excess as well.

Very true, but I would think 79 is probably a good average age. Someone else points out that many in Thailand are in their 70's but have wives who are in their 30's (and the extended families that go with them). There are so many variables.

40 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

needs adjusting for families...house to pay ...bills to pay car to run  kids school fees..kids out of school activities..im buggered if that's how how much is needed for a single person living in an apartment..would some one like to do a calculation  based on family of 4 tks would be interesting to know just how buggered i am  ..lol

Like I said, I'm doing that on 40k, 1 kid at university, 1 kid in junior school.

You don't have to send your kids to private schools, they're for the rich.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Like I said, I'm doing that on 40k, 1 kid at university, 1 kid in junior school.

You don't have to send your kids to private schools, they're for the rich.

How many people in the 65-79 age group have kids at junior school?!????

41 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

That's life expectancy at birth - life expectancy at age 65 for men in the US is about 83, and almost 86 for women. So yes, right away that's a fairly major problem with their calculation. But if you look at this more as a comparison among various countries than a specific savings goal, it's still moderately useful.

https://data.oecd.org/healthstat/life-expectancy-at-65.htm

You have to look in the area where you live. Not where you were born. Look at the food you eat the air you breathe the water you drink. My area in Thailand  the average age  of death is 58,but most of us eat better than the Thais. Less sugar less salt.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So if all one happens to have a lifetime Pension that pays a tidy sum  monthly and has nothing in savings then they are not able to retire in Thailand, or other countries, is that the gist of the article?  Or lets see, only having a savings of 1 million USD, but no pension, then they can afford to retire in Thailand as well as elsewhere?  So confused.  Everyone's life style is different and what one wants to buy and eat for their meals, and just like where they choose to live differs, Each individual should learn to live within their means.  I know a few who live in Thailand on just their SS from the US and they are happy as can be.  I also know a few who can afford to live the hi-life and do so but are not happy because they do not have enough in their view.  We all made our beds a long time ago and you either enjoy what you have or you don't, no use crying over spilled milk.

I think the article is mainly talking about savings. I didn’t see anything referencing pensions unless I overlooked it. In 2018 I retired at the age of 50 with 29 years’ credit for my pension. I had nowhere near the amount of savings mentioned in the article at the time of my retirement. My pension allows me to live comfortably here in Thailand without having to worry about finances. 

• Like 2

Just now, ibtg68 said:

I think the article is mainly talking about savings. I didn’t see anything referencing pensions unless I overlooked it. In 2018 I retired at the age of 50 with 29 years’ credit for my pension. I had nowhere near the amount of savings mentioned in the article at the time of my retirement. My pension allows me to live comfortably here in Thailand without having to worry about finances. 

My point exactly, as does my pension. Of course I have added assets that keep putting money in the bank every month. Retired at 53, forced out after 31 years.  Wanted to work longer but oh well.

• Like 2

Perhaps the post should have been re tilted, living expense for 14 years, or living expenses for 1 or 10 years, but the amount seems reasonable approx. $2k per month

my personal budget is ave 125kTHB per month, however I'm sure i can trim that down as its based on spending the full amounts each month, maybe i will stay in a little bit more once i retire.

Edited by bolt

16 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Do you ever think of reading the article before you post sirineou.......all those questions are answered.

No need to read the article, as the Department of Corrections is always on the job.????

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, internationalism said:

very few pensioners do have saving that large. Even if they sell their house before moving to thailand.

but each has pension, and that's sufficient to survive reasonable well in thailand.

so it's possible to lower standard of living in thailand and have some savings for medical care

Countries like Australia have an assets test to be taken into consideration to be eligible for the old age pension.  Many pensioners who own a property in Australia cannot sell it because the cash in the bank disqualifies them from receiving the pension.  Then, they need to spend those sale proceeds enough to fall below the maximum allowed savings to re-apply (and be in Australia for 2 years prior to applying for the pension).  So it is a very hard juggling act for many.  And of course there are those who want to Will that property to their children.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It is 28 years if assuming 7% yearly returns on capital, which is acceptable to expect. Just get bitcoin already lol, or get creamed...

Good golly, yes. So many people so late to getting aboard Bitcoin. Talking about 7% returns, when Bitcoin in the last single year is up 477%. Many people are asleep at the switch. I just sit and listen to the others moan about the $->฿ exchange rate on the pension wire transfers. I don't talk about it much, because people don't want to hear it. So many extremely sour grapes.

The Q.E. is concerning with all the debt-backed money being printed at a wild pace by the US.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sirineou said:

What does  $389,835 Mean ?

Is that to retire for the rest of your life?  at what age?  and  how many years would that last you. ?

As per the article that is to live for only  for around 14 years after retirement.  Which is a big caveat indeed.

Many people live much longer and especially those who retire at earlier ages.

BTW this amount is about the same as what Immigration considers the necessary amount (800k baht a year) for 14 years.

Financial estimates as given in the original post are not that complicated to make. But of course they will be for the "average" retiree. A monthly pension can easily be converted to a present value (lump sum value) based on life expectancy, current investment returns and current inflation rates. Since the authors/creators of the report only stated their assumptions for life expectancy the required retirement nest eggs given may not be very relevant. Perhaps the comparisons between different locations are more useful than the amounts needed to retire in a specific location. If you measure several of your friends with the same flawed yardstick, you would still know who's tallest.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Study reveals how much money you need to retire in Thailand

1.jpg

Anyone thinking about retiring to Thailand should have the equivalent of around 11 million Baht in savings (approx USD$390,000), that’s according to a new study on the cost of retirement around the world.

The study, carried out by online lender NetCredit titled The Cost of a Comfortable Retirement Around the World, looked at how much someone might need to retire aboard and enjoy their same quality of life.

This was determined as going out once a week, takeout coffee once a week, no smoking, moderate drinking, no taxis or rideshares, eating mainly Western food at home, two vacations and renting a 1 bed apartment in a city centre, among other factors.

The figures are based on someone living for around 14 years after they retire - with the average age of retirement in America (64) and the average life expectancy (78.7). The same calculations were then applied to almost every country. 

The study found that a person retiring to Thailand would need $389,835 in savings in order to maintain the same standard of living they were used to in the West.

The amount of savings required for Thailand were considerably lower than the amount needed to retire comfortably in both the United Kingdom ($515,742) and the United States ($601,489.63).

2.png

Regionally, Southeast Asia remained an affordable option for retirement, with Indonesia ($290,599), Malaysia ($321,614), Vietnam ($353,906) and the Philippines ($369,340) offering cheaper alternatives to Thailand, while Cambodia ($389,146) was on a par with the Land of Smiles in terms the amount of savings needed. 

In order to retire in Singapore ($946,993) or Hong Kong($871,578), you’d need around three times the amount of savings needed to retire in Thailand.

Around the world, Bermuda was found to be the most expensive country, where you’d need savings of more  than $1 million dollars for a luxury retirement in paradise.

Elsewhere in North America, Mexico was the cheapest place for retirement where savings of $257,078 is enough for a comfortable retirement.

If they mean amount of capital required to generate the income required , they are about correct .

If they are referring to " Spend till you drop " then they are not taking into account those on some thing of benefit , social security , or pension .

With what's excluded , it must be a strange way of living ..

Take out once a week ?.and Zero transport  ?. People live at very differing levels , I appreciate that .

After rent and car ,you need 10 k barht a week , 520 k barht PA , plus rent pa , and transport whatever that may be , this is a good rule of thumb , and less than that , you are not doing much . So what's the point.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

This study give inaccurate information and assumptions at best. The difference in the cost of living downtown  Sukhumvit vs. downtown Tak or anywhere in between cannot be accurately compared using these figures.   Its misleading to throw out a figure of $389,835.00. The Thai government requires you having a yearly USD income of$18,000 adding up to  $252,000.00 over the same 14 years if I am not mistaken.

5 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

A monthly pension can easily be converted to a present value (lump sum value) based on life expectancy, current investment returns and current inflation rates.

Indeed. This study was short in explanation, but obviously the $389,835 figure included present value of pensions, annuities, and social security payments. How could it not, as there are many pensioners with zip in the bank ('cause, maybe they just bought an immediate pay annuity) but whose income stream in the next 14 years has a present value well to match (or beat) the $389k benchmark. And if these pensions are indexed for inflation -- well, just more attractive numbers. No, whoever did this study should have provided more explanation. But, as a comparison of how retirement countries stack up against each other -- useful information, when taken with caveats.

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So if all one happens to have a lifetime Pension that pays a tidy sum  monthly and has nothing in savings then they are not able to retire in Thailand, or other countries, is that the gist of the article?  Or lets see, only having a savings of 1 million USD, but no pension, then they can afford to retire in Thailand as well as elsewhere?  So confused.  Everyone's life style is different and what one wants to buy and eat for their meals, and just like where they choose to live differs, Each individual should learn to live within their means.  I know a few who live in Thailand on just their SS from the US and they are happy as can be.  I also know a few who can afford to live the hi-life and do so but are not happy because they do not have enough in their view.  We all made our beds a long time ago and you either enjoy what you have or you don't, no use crying over spilled milk.

Don’t you think people and the survey makers knows about pension systems or what? Or did you expect them to lay out hundreds of of different estimates taking each and one pension amount into account? 
You see that is up to you to put into the calculation and deduct from those numbers.  
If this article made you so confused,

now then go and get yourself a bar girl and get back to the basics of human behavior. That won’t confuse you.  

• Haha 1

A ridiculous survey. For a start who would want to eat two Western meals a day when Thai food is one of the best in the world. In fact it is one of the attractions of living in Thailand. I could go on and on.

• Like 2