Study reveals how much money you need to retire in Thailand

snoop1130

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

As per the conditions stated for the estimates given it sounds more like surviving than living IMO. 

But that's just me. 

I purposely lived a more frugal life before retirement (and after divorce sunk my financial boat) because being both old and poor really sucks. Looking back maybe I erred a bit by over-saving but I don't regret it now; far superior to the inverse. Money is a lot easier to spend than earn. 

And I thought my situation was unique...same here.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, bigupandchill said:

So I can retire to a proper country (Portugal) for only 40k more than here?

Yep off ya go. Sure that "proper" country will welcome you with open arms. Don't worry you won't be missed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, sirineou said:

What does  $389,835 Mean ?

Is that to retire for the rest of your life?  at what age?  and  how many years would that last you. ?

Jesus did you even read the article <deleted>

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I have an old British friend who retired to Thailand at 65 with her husband, he dropped dead at 66. Another Brit friend who died at 65 from lung cancer. Then again some will live into their 90's, it's about averages.

As my Dad used to say, we're all just penciled in.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PGSan said:

Averaged over which population?   And does this include parts of the world where the SS no longer generally operates ?

I was speaking of American Social Security.  I am an American and I get SS here in Thailand.  I think you can get your monthly check about anywhere in the World, with some exceptions.   The average SS payment for 2021 is $1531 a month.  Some get more, some get less.  My 2021 monthly SS payment is $1471, so less than average.  I also get a state pension, which is more.   My point with the post was that if you get some sort of pension and/or old age benefits, you don't necessarily have to have 11 million baht saved for retirement living in Thailand.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Yewbzee said:

This is a genuine question, not a criticism. Why do you stay here when you feel this away about the country you chose to retire to?

Retirement should be about freedom, not being shackled to any one location. When I feel like that about here or any other place I live, thats me done and I'm upping sticks and I'll be gone. I'm curious to know why folk like you don't do that? Life's not a dress rehearsal is it?

People end up here for all sort of reasons, not necessarily because they are enamored with the country. Also, things change, maybe was a paradise for him earlier, not so much now. Who knows?

Should be is great. But in real life, there's often a trade off.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sirineou said:

Is that to retire for the rest of your life?  at what age?  and  how many years would that last you. ?

The details were in the post. 

The figures are based on someone living for around 14 years after they retire - with the average age of retirement in America (64) and the average life expectancy (78.7).

• Like 1

Logically it should be calculated per year not  lifetime.  If your pension /social security can exceed the costs its all good.  How many years you survive wont matter.

one coffee a week.   That wont do 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

Logically it should be calculated per year not  lifetime.  If your pension /social security can exceed the costs its all good.  How many years you survive wont matter.

one coffee a week.   That wont do 

If it was this cup of coffee, well then it would do.

Image result for Largest Cup of Coffee. Size: 190 x 107. Source: www.mashed.com

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

==========================

==========================

From the Infograph - it covers expenses from 64 (age of retirement) till age 78-79 (age of expiry) so it should cover living expenses in Thailand for 14 Years or for 168 month

$389,835 / 168 month * 29Bath = ~ 70,000THB so the Infograph is simply telling that one needs around 70,000THB per month to live comfortably in Thailand.
From 70,000THB you can have a very comfortable life in Bangkok but not a luxury life.