Study reveals how much money you need to retire in Thailand

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Sorry all. Just realized that it is dollars not sterling . Wipes sweat from brow.???? 

Wait it's not Baht, darn I was just thinking I could go another 50 years with what I have, and now you have dashed all that hope and elation.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

If you have $389,835 (roughly 12 million baht) in the bank, you can live off that comfortably for 14 years. That calculates out to spending roughly $2320 per month. That sounds about right, and, in addition to savings, some of us have a monthly retirement income. So don't forget to add that into your equation if and when you are planning to retire.

• Like 1

Oh now I'll actually have to read the article. Does their calculation factor in equity growth if a part of the money is invested?

I still think of some of the money as my grandmother's legacy that should be kept for my children etc. I only have it because I didn't take over the family business and lose it all!. My parents used it and made it last for almost 50 years. But it does get diluted eventually.

Edited by VocalNeal

Is complaining about currency exchange rates, whilst living in another country ridiculousness.

Live with exchange rates, deal with it, if you made a bad plan, make a new one.

expect it to worsen, if it does you'll be prepared, if it doesn't you're on to a winner.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Oh now I'll actually have to read the article. Does there calculation factor in equity growth if a part of the money is invested? 

No 

its use it all up then Die 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, sirineou said:

What does  $389,835 Mean ?

Is that to retire for the rest of your life?  at what age?  and  how many years would that last you. ?

As they said - 14 years as a pensioner meaning roughly  (11mthb/14yrs) 785.000thb/yearly which is equal to a monthly pension of 65k/thb per month which again is the required minimum level of income in LOS today to qualify for a non-im-o visa based on pure income ...

With other words, the wording "savings" used in the article is just misleading - not unlike many other things from that edge ...  :thumbsup:

Edited by ttrd
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, bolt said:

Is complaining about currency exchange rates, whilst living in another country ridiculousness.

Live with exchange rates, deal with it, if you made a bad plan, make a new one.

expect it to worsen, if it does you'll be prepared, if it doesn't you're on to a winner.

Being a Brit and with Brexit over, I'm expecting my exchange rates to get better.

From 40 to 42.5 in a month isn't bad so far.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ttrd said:

As they said - 14 years as a pensioner meaning roughly  (11mthb/14yrs) 785.000thb/yearly which is equal to a monthly pension of 65k/thb per month which again is the required minimum level of income in LOS today to qualify for a non-im-o visa based on pure income ...

With other words, the wording "savings" used in the article is just misleading - not unlike many other things from that edge ...  :thumbsup:

Yes indeed. Any combination of savings and income that provides  about $2,000 monthly spending budget should be adequate.After  a while, when you have build the house and bought the car etc. the monthly expenses stabilize and decrease, (sometimes we don't spend $1,000 a month)  but I guess those investment can be considered as savings,  (you could have built the house, or kept the money in the bank) , which surprises me that when the Thai government is calculating savings for visa extensions , they don't have a formula for those who have invested some of their savings into homes . I think it would be more fair and encourage more investment in the Thai economy. 

31 minutes ago, ttrd said:

which is equal to a monthly pension of 65k/thb per month which again is the required minimum level of income in LOS today to qualify for a non-im-o visa based on pure income ...

The cheeky little bar stewards. So it is not based on anything real world from actual experience/surveys. More digital nomads causing confusion and mayhem?

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

which surprises me that when the Thai government is calculating savings for visa extensions , they don't have a formula for those who have invested some of their savings into homes . I think it would be more fair and encourage more investment in the Thai economy. 

That's because it's not your home ........ it's her home.

Just now, BritManToo said:

That's because it's not your home ........ it's her home.

Not entirely true, I don't own the property, but I own 50% of the property's value. so for instance , if the wife passed away, the property will revert to me at which time I would have one year to either sell the property, or make alternate ownership arrangements. 

But for the purpose of this thread discussion,  if it was not for me , she would not own it either. Nor would the builder own the nice pick up truck he purchased partly from the profits from my build.  etc.

IMO  it would encourage investment, if for instance they said  , Ok we calculated that you need 400,000 bht asavings  for an extension based on marriage,but since you invested  4M baht to build a house in thailand and reduce your living expenses we think you now only need 300,000 bht savings, Wouldn't that make better sense?  would it not induce more people to build houses here? Would it not be a win win situation for all those involved?

But sadly TIT and making sense does not make sense here,  

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

They badly miscalculated it,

For this scenario, 100%, but it was the figure ...

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

life expectancy at birth

that somewhat shocked me. It's lower than the OECD average and, for whatever reason (certainly not from looking into it) I assumed it would be at the higher end even with the health issues from today's lifestyle.

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I have a plan for that!!???? 

I read someplace that people in the Greek island of Icaria  live to be 100. so when I reach the age of 77, (I am giving me a year just to be on the safe side) ,

I am moving to Icaria , 

What?, you want to try and live like Icarus, well don't get burned flying to close to the sun, your wings may melt off, then you wont age much further except as a mound of ash, but then thats just a myth anyway....

Edited by ThailandRyan

$600k in the USA? One needs to invest $500k just to get a visa for retirement. 

I could retire comfortably here in 12 years with 0, as I'll have about 30,000 baht a month, house paid, kids grown up, and a few bitcoin ???? 

• Like 1