Change Plates?

KhaoYai

I seem to remember that if I buy a car that is registered in Bangkok (Bangkok only) it can keep its plate if I register it in another province - just the ownership to change.  Can anyone confirm this is correct?

15 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I seem to remember that if I buy a car that is registered in Bangkok (Bangkok only) it can keep its plate if I register it in another province - just the ownership to change.  Can anyone confirm this is correct?

I’m not sure... but I always understood that if a car is registered in a new / different province it will have to have plates from that province.

Every car number plate has the name of the province above the number. 

Based on your question, I am wondering if its possible to re-register the car in the new / different province and keep the same number - initial combination and just change the plate (to one with the current province name on it). I can see why people would want to do this if they like the pretty number they have.

23 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Only if you change it to your name at the Bangkok DLT.

If you change it in any other province you will also have to change the license plates to this province.

We brought our Udon Thani registered motorcycle across to Sakon Nakhon. We've paid the tax 3 times since then and there's been no mention of changing the license plates.

• Like 1

All I can say is that when I bought a car that was registered in Bangkok and transferred it in what I thought was my ex wifes's ownership in a different province, the car number didn't change. She told me it didn't need a new number if it was registered in Bangkok - only Bangkok registered cars had that concession. I thought it a little strange at the time but its a different country, they do things differently so I didn't think to question it.

Of course, that was my EX wife, a woman who, it turned out, had an extremeley poor relationship with the truth.  It is entirely possible that the stupid (unknowing) foreigner had no idea that she actually registered the car in her 'cousin's' name - a gentleman who lived in Bangkok and turned out to be quite a lot more that her 'cousin'.

I could have unearthed yet another of her scams - I have a friend at Pak Chong DLT, I'll ask her.

• Haha 1

Ask your DLT office .

I bought bike with a Ko Samui plate when at DLT they asked whether I wanted to change the plate.

I had bike with a CM plate which was registered at my Sukhothai address.

Go figure.

I have asked my friend at Pak Chong DLT - she says all vehicles need to have their plates changed and registered in the new province.  There is no difference for vehicles registered in Bangkok - it seems my suspicions about my ex wife were correct.  She's lucky she's my ex and I have no idea or interest in where she is now.

I was aware of this in general as I bought my ER6 in Chiang Mai and had to register it in Korat.  The thing about Bangkok came from what my ex wife told me which I now know to be a lie that suited her extra marital affair at the time.

Edited by KhaoYai