How Many KPL is Your PCX Getting?

Pinot

I'm about to do a follow-up video about my Honda PCX Hybrid and I want to know what the new regular PCXs' are getting? My Hybrid is getting 46.6 KPL and I think that's about the same as the standard PCXs are getting.  

I suspect it's about the same. 

I do love the turbo-like kick the electric motor gives upon acceleration, but it's just not offering any KPL savings. It was supposed to be about 10%. Is this a failed Hybrid? 

• Like 1

Just now, Henryford said:

SX. Depends on where you drive i suppose. I got 37-40 around town in Pattaya but on a long trip outside town maybe upto 50.

Nouvo Elegance is 135cc.    Carb.

SX is 125cc.       FI.

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

46.6 kpl 130 mpg seems pretty impressive for a 150 cc bike. I only used to get 37-40 ish from my Yamaha 135 cc.

46.6 KPL is 109 MPG. I remember I was getting 115 MPG on a PCX prior to this Hybrid. I don't know how accurate these on-board computers are however.

Big difference in fuel economy depending on how you hard you ride. City roads with stop/start vs cruising on flat terrain vs mountainous roads vs 1 or 2 passengers vs flat out on the highway; all will make a big difference. 35-50+ kpl is still acceptable. I could never see the benefit of hybrid motorcycle other than acceleration away from the lights. Just what you don't need when some Somchai runs a red light across the junction! PCX is still a nice reliable bike whether normal or hybrid.

• Like 1

Which countries use KPL? Isn't L/100km more common?

On my PCX I had about 2.7L/100km (37 KPL), on my Wave 125 I have about 2.2L/100km (45.5), both about the same riding style and pattern.

To achieve 46.6 KPL on a PCX you have to drive very careful ????

• Like 2

2015 bought from new.

When brand spanking I was getting 50. After checking half a dozen tankfulls I gave up as pleased with the results.

I ride it hard. Full throttle acceleration from a standing stop. So never get the shudder others complain about.

Ride it like you stole it is my motto - all my bikes the same.

Tests of identical models - one babied and ones stomped on - show the babys get worse fuel mileage and most important make less horsepower.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, papa al said:

Ha ha.

A battle tank gets much better fuel economy than that.

tf i mean 52KPL ????????????

60 kms daily ride to and from work, 80-90kph max speed only

Edited by alx123

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

Which countries use KPL? Isn't L/100km more common?

On my PCX I had about 2.7L/100km (37 KPL), on my Wave 125 I have about 2.2L/100km (45.5), both about the same riding style and pattern.

To achieve 46.6 KPL on a PCX you have to drive very careful ????

that weird L/100km is a real headache to get through the brain...   if say you have a 7 litre tank, then for example it was getting 46KML; it is easy to work out the Range as approx 46*7km. Using L/100km as a base to determine your effective range, really only works easy in your brain if your Tank is 10L, 1L, or 100L - otherwise you'd have to get the Calculator out all the time!  - to perform multiple steps of calculations... Same goes for cars, as the tank sizes are all over the place too; where one can encounter tanks of 45, 50, 60, 70L etc

Using KPL is great as it is then a straight forward conversion between KPL and MPG

(conversion factor 2.825 where 10KPL = 28.25MPG) 

• Like 2

On 3/3/2021 at 12:10 PM, YorkshireTyke said:

My one year old PCX Hybrid shows around 49.5 average on the onboard computer. I do use the expensive fuel, (95?) and usually just short journeys , 5-10 minutes.

Honestly that's what I was expecting. I do love the acceleration the electric motor provides so I'm always into it hard. It's probably the way I drive it. Just so people know the electric motor only kicks in for about 3 seconds when accelerating. You do feel that extra power. It's the only reason to spend the extra 10k baht. 

On 3/3/2021 at 10:19 PM, tifino said:

that weird L/100km is a real headache to get through the brain...   if say you have a 7 litre tank, then for example it was getting 46KML; it is easy to work out the Range as approx 46*7km. Using L/100km as a base to determine your effective range, really only works easy in your brain if your Tank is 10L, 1L, or 100L - otherwise you'd have to get the Calculator out all the time!  - to perform multiple steps of calculations... Same goes for cars, as the tank sizes are all over the place too; where one can encounter tanks of 45, 50, 60, 70L etc

Using KPL is great as it is then a straight forward conversion between KPL and MPG

(conversion factor 2.825 where 10KPL = 28.25MPG) 

Funny you should say this. I was asking drivers of newer PCXs what they were getting and the first couple answered me with the L/100km method which sounded absurd to me. Being an American I was used to MPG which as you noted easily converts to KPL. I'm surprised L/100km is a real thing!

They've just announced the New PCX 160 in the Philippines. I'll probably pick that up when it gets here. Motorbikes are so reasonable prices I like having the best one out there. No complaints on the Hybrid but the new 160 has size and a few tuning mods. It will be interesting to see how the compare. I believe it also has ABS. Some videos of the new model on Youtube. 

On 3/3/2021 at 12:10 PM, YorkshireTyke said:

My one year old PCX Hybrid shows around 49.5 average on the onboard computer. I do use the expensive fuel, (95?) and usually just short journeys , 5-10 minutes.

I should have added I always click it into S mode before I start, probably my imagination but the battery on initial acceleration seems to kick in more then when in D mode.

11 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

Honda Click 150 2020. I get between 46 and 55 kilometers per litre depending on driving style. I only get 55 (over a full tank) when I drive really softly. I have to drive hard to get 46.

Lighter weight than the PCX with the same engine (I think) that's what I would expect. That 150 Click is a swinging little bike. 

6 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

I should have added I always click it into S mode before I start, probably my imagination but the battery on initial acceleration seems to kick in more then when in D mode.

I do the same thing and why wouldn't you? It's definitely peppier. I don't know what the idea is behind the D mode. I love the electric motor punch and I can't think of a reason to drive around in D mode. 

On 3/6/2021 at 6:52 PM, jackdd said:

New PCX 160

Slightly off topic but I have looked at the spec's on the PCX160 and it shows that this bike can not use E20, the PCX150 can use E20.

Also, the 160cc bumps the yearly rego. into an upper category, same class as the Forza.

Any comments?

2 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Slightly off topic but I have looked at the spec's on the PCX160 and it shows that this bike can not use E20, the PCX150 can use E20.

Also, the 160cc bumps the yearly rego. into an upper category, same class as the Forza.

Any comments?

According to this article it can use E20: https://www.sanook.com/auto/78551/ Somebody would have to look at the owners manual to confirm it. It would surprise me if it couldn't though.

I assume by rego you mean tax, tax for all motorbikes is 100THB per year. The cost for the compulsory insurance depends on the engine size though: https://www.rvp.co.th/underwritingQA_en.php

But if I remember correctly, the PCX150 has 152cc and with the PCX160 they increased it by 4cc, thus both are in the "above 150cc bracket", same cost for compulsory insurance.

14 minutes ago, jackdd said:

But if I remember correctly, the PCX150 has 152cc

Nope 149cc,

"Rego" is an Australian term for vehicle registration.

Like I said 160cc will increase the rego payment, same as the Forza.

14 minutes ago, jackdd said:

According to this article it can use E20:

Nope not according to the below sites

https://www.checkraka.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx/1454524/

https://www.checkraka.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx/1450449/

9 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Nope 149cc,

"Rego" is an Australian term for vehicle registration.

Like I said 160cc will increase the rego payment, same as the Forza.

I was today years old when I learned that Honda changed the engine size of the PCX 150 engine over the years.

2012-2013 PCX 150 has 152.9cc

2014-now PCX 150 has 149.32cc

So the older PCX 150 model was always in the same bracket as the Forza. But if we compare the PCX160 to the PCX150 from the last years, then yes it is an increase of about 300THB per year for the compulsory insurance.

22 minutes ago, VYCM said:

According to the Honda website it can use E20, so I guess some websites are just wrong:

"ไร้สารตะกั่ว ค่าออกเทน 91 หรือสูงกว่า หรือที่มีส่วนผสมของแอลกอฮอล์ เอทานอลสูงสุด 20%" (At least 91 octane and up to 20% ethanol)

https://www.aphonda.co.th/honda/motorcycle/automatic/all-new-pcx-160

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2021 at 10:12 AM, Pinot said:

46.6 KPL is 109 MPG. I remember I was getting 115 MPG on a PCX prior to this Hybrid. I don't know how accurate these on-board computers are however.

46.6 x 4.54 (liters per gallon) is 211.56 kilometers per gallon ÷ 1.6 (kilometers per mile) = 132.22 miles per gallon , how do you make it 109 MPG

On 3/8/2021 at 1:01 AM, Brick Top said:

46.6 x 4.54 (liters per gallon) is 211.56 kilometers per gallon ÷ 1.6 (kilometers per mile) = 132.22 miles per gallon , how do you make it 109 MPG

109 in the US, 132 in the UK. 

On 3/3/2021 at 3:46 PM, canthai55 said:

Ride it like you stole it is my motto - all my bikes the same.

If papa stole a moto 

papa would ride medium speed

so as not to attract attention from the fuzz.

But yea, riding the heck out of the little ones ...

purty fun.!

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 1:01 PM, Brick Top said:

Google's answer

On 3/8/2021 at 10:13 AM, jackdd said:

According to this article it can use E20: https://www.sanook.com/auto/78551/ Somebody would have to look at the owners manual to confirm it. It would surprise me if it couldn't though.

I assume by rego you mean tax, tax for all motorbikes is 100THB per year. The cost for the compulsory insurance depends on the engine size though: https://www.rvp.co.th/underwritingQA_en.php

But if I remember correctly, the PCX150 has 152cc and with the PCX160 they increased it by 4cc, thus both are in the "above 150cc bracket", same cost for compulsory insurance.

I've got the 160 brochure and it says you can use E20