How Many KPL is Your PCX Getting?

Pinot

On 3/3/2021 at 10:19 PM, tifino said:

that weird L/100km is a real headache to get through the brain...   if say you have a 7 litre tank, then for example it was getting 46KML; it is easy to work out the Range as approx 46*7km. Using L/100km as a base to determine your effective range, really only works easy in your brain if your Tank is 10L, 1L, or 100L - otherwise you'd have to get the Calculator out all the time!  - to perform multiple steps of calculations... Same goes for cars, as the tank sizes are all over the place too; where one can encounter tanks of 45, 50, 60, 70L etc

Using KPL is great as it is then a straight forward conversion between KPL and MPG

(conversion factor 2.825 where 10KPL = 28.25MPG) 

Even easier to multiply by 3, and knock off a bit eg 16 kpl = 45 mpg.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 4:19 AM, tifino said:

that weird L/100km is a real headache to get through the brain...   if say you have a 7 litre tank, then for example it was getting 46KML; it is easy to work out the Range as approx 46*7km. Using L/100km as a base to determine your effective range, really only works easy in your brain if your Tank is 10L, 1L, or 100L - otherwise you'd have to get the Calculator out all the time!  - to perform multiple steps of calculations... Same goes for cars, as the tank sizes are all over the place too; where one can encounter tanks of 45, 50, 60, 70L etc

Using KPL is great as it is then a straight forward conversion between KPL and MPG

(conversion factor 2.825 where 10KPL = 28.25MPG) 

Nothing weird about l/100 km when you get used to it. 

Here in NZ my 2019 PCX has averaged about 2.3 l/100 km (42.5 km/litre, 100 miles / US gallon, 120 miles / UK gallon) over about 37,000 km I have done on it. Mostly riding at 75 - 85 km/hr on open roads, with some town riding. Staying below 75 km/hr yields better than 45 km/litre, and pushing it above 90 - 100 km/hr for long spells results in a drop to well below 40 km/litre.

bottom line though, is that with the PCX computer that displays that *L/100km;

- does the PCX display have the capability of instead displaying the more important  'KM Remaining' information? for that is all you really need to know when you are out on some long ride when the fuel level is slowly but surely dropping... 

23 hours ago, Aj Mick said:

Nothing weird about l/100 km when you get used to it. 

Here in NZ my 2019 PCX has averaged about 2.3 l/100 km (42.5 km/litre, 100 miles / US gallon, 120 miles / UK gallon) over about 37,000 km I have done on it. Mostly riding at 75 - 85 km/hr on open roads, with some town riding. Staying below 75 km/hr yields better than 45 km/litre, and pushing it above 90 - 100 km/hr for long spells results in a drop to well below 40 km/litre.

My PCX Hybrid has ticked up to 46.7 KPL. You're confirming that the Hybrid does very little to improve mileage. It's really a failure as a fuel savings vehicle. The regular PCX is a highly efficient vehicle to begin with, however. The PCX Hybrid is a lot of fun to drive and 10k baht is not that more to pay for the fun factor the Hybrid provides.

The new PCX does offer ABS, which is the way I'd go if I decide to replace the Hybrid.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papa al said:

Acceleration off the line.

What he said. That acceleration at any speed. Acceleration up a steep hill, you goose it, goose it again. It's fun!

On 4/1/2021 at 8:50 PM, Pinot said:

My PCX Hybrid has ticked up to 46.7 KPL. You're confirming that the Hybrid does very little to improve mileage. It's really a failure as a fuel savings vehicle. The regular PCX is a highly efficient vehicle to begin with, however. The PCX Hybrid is a lot of fun to drive and 10k baht is not that more to pay for the fun factor the Hybrid provides.

The new PCX does offer ABS, which is the way I'd go if I decide to replace the Hybrid.    

Yup, seemed to me the hybrid system added weight, with a loss of space in the undersea storage, and weight with some increase in performance for a bike that already performs adequately in a typical town and around environment. No net gain in practicality from my point of view, but each to their own.

I feel that the PCX chassis would work OK in all electric form. Strip out the fuel tank and engine, and there would be plenty of space for batteries mounted low and central in the scoot - ideal! Honda showed a prototype electric PCX at an exhibition a couple of years back...... When battery power density, thus range improves (as is happening), if it can be produced at a reasonable price it could be the way of the future. I'd certainly be up for one, but not a hybrid.

As to ABS brakes...... Mine, with the disc front / drum rear, has ABS on the front. I was surprised at how little feel I got from the front brake. Only when I used the back brake could I feel significant braking. When the sensor rotor on the front wheel got damaged (by a flying stone) the ABS stopped functioning. With none in stock in NZ at the time, it would take several weeks to get a new one. To stop the warning light flashing I pulled the fuses, thus disabling the ABS altogether. Now I have much more feel (and better performance, I guess) from the front brake, and am inclined to leave it as is, unless repair is required to pass inspection when the time comes.

I don't know if it is true of ABS on all bikes, but I have seen reviews of the PSX where the reviewer has noted the lack of feel from the front brake. I feel ABS is a no-brainer on cars. Can see some merit with ABS on bikes in some situations, I am yet to be convinced overall. Technology is certainly no substitute for awareness (first) and riding skills (second).

For context..... 62 years a cyclist (since I was seven) and 58 years since I first swung my leg over the CT 90 variant of the Super Cub we had on the farm, I have done over 500,000 km on motorcycles in over a dozen countries (including nearly 20 years in Thailand), accident free on the road since 1976. Have always owned a motorcycle since my teens, but just 8 different machines over the years. Only two had disc brakes at the front, and the PCX is the first bike I have ridden with ABS. Given the way regulations are going, for better or worse, looks like it won't be the last.

Edited by Aj Mick
  • Haha 1