I want to finance a car in my name but my Thai wife will drive it. Do I need a drivers license to buy a car?

I am disabled and do not drive. My Thai wife has no established credit in Thailand nor a job. Can I finance a car with my direct deposit income (I know I need 3 months of direct bank deposits) and put the car in my name w/o a drivers license? FYI... We will have a joint bank account where my VA disability pension will be directly deposited to. (will this be enough for my wife to be the guarantor or even the buyer?)

Thanks folks!

You can buy a car & finance a car without a drivers license (no one will even ask for your drivers license).

Finance is a different issue. You will need to speak with a finance company such as Tisco and see how you get on. 

If financing is problematic, and it could be as you seem to be lacking a guarantor then other options could be to long term rental - there may be some good deals around. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, surangw said:

on an offshoot of this  thread    .    is the gov. tax on cars  to keep   mid income thais from owning cars ?

You thing all those Thais during around in pickups, Honda Jazz’ & Toyota vios are high earners ?? 

According to statista.com ~50% of Thailand’s population own a car... I call BS on that value, nevertheless, a lot of people in Thailand own cars. 

1 hour ago, surangw said:

on an offshoot of this  thread    .    is the gov. tax on cars  to keep   mid income thais from owning cars ?

Excise tax on small sedans like a Corolla is about 30% . This rate in most western countries would be classed as a tax for luxury vehicles.

Edited by LosLobo