Burning continues unabated

gunderhill

3 hours ago, 2ndhomepattaya said:

This is just totally ignorant, uneducated, care less for the environment and stupid, never mind illegal

If you live in sugar cane growing area you can see the challenges the farmers face with getting rid of all the left over debris in their fields. Their little Kubota tractors can't possibly till the leftovers into the soil and have the field immediately ready for the next crop. I hate the burning but I really can't see a viable alternative in place right now. If it were me with large fields of cane I would probably do the same. Rice stubble on the other hand I don't understand why some (very few in our area) choose to burn that since its easily tilled back into the soil.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Where abouts in Thailand are you?

Up here in in Chiangrai no~one is even allowed to have a small bon fire at the moment.

I suppose this varies from district to district.The air pollution here often comes from Myanmar and Laos.

• Confused 1

Just now, KC 71 said:

Where abouts in Thailand are you?

Up here in in Chiangrai no~one is even allowed to have a small bon fire at the moment.

I suppose this varies from district to district.The air pollution here often comes from Myanmar and Laos.

9D9C5A3B-B666-468F-96E8-3EDFA4FFE7C5.png

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, KeeTua said:

If you live in sugar cane growing area you can see the challenges the farmers face with getting rid of all the left over debris in their fields. Their little Kubota tractors can't possibly till the leftovers into the soil and have the field immediately ready for the next crop. I hate the burning but I really can't see a viable alternative in place right now. If it were me with large fields of cane I would probably do the same. Rice stubble on the other hand I don't understand why some (very few in our area) choose to burn that since its easily tilled back into the soil.

If that is the case, the simplest solution would be to not plant the sugarcane in the first place.

I find your statement as a farang, i.e. " If it were me with large fields of cane I would probably do the same" to be appalling to be honest.  

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Last  night 9.35pm they set the field alight next to my  house, the sky lights  up head  of  village  just says they cant find who did it every time we report it, basically it's  being totally  ignored round here with the compliance of the head of  village,   I  went down with my  10  billion power  led  torch and shouted at them as they cowered in the  bushes quickly  turning off their  head lights.

Thailand, land of  lip service.

Thai govt biggest joke in the world, can't  stop  burning or road  deaths, do you really think they stopped  covid?

Real easy to stop this, fine the land owner stop  looking for the person doing it.

burning.png

You appear to have expected that anyone, anyone at all, would take notice of what the law says. That has never been the case and never will as there is no will to enforce it.

Thailand.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KeeTua said:

I have not looked but I seem to remember that sugar cane is grown in the US (South) and in the Caribbean. how do they deal with the same issue?

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You appear to have expected that anyone, anyone at all, would take notice of what the law says. That has never been the case and never will as there is no will to enforce it.

Thailand.jpg

Wife was  asked by the pu yai baan  not to  burn her fields, she didn't. Not everyone burns but there's   still too  many round here that do.

54 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe it is the headman?

He  IS  part of the problem for sure. What they do  love though is to make a  nice  example of the Farang whenever they can, if  that had been me burning it would be a very different story for sure.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Dont need to "look" for anyone, the owner of the land gets the fine, and do it again and forfeit the land.  They'll soon get the message.

While I certainly agree with what you are saying, there are times when other parties are responsible for the burning.  We grow sugar cane and on a few occasions someone else has come along at night and set fire to our land.  On a couple of occasions the fires had to be investigated because the fires had spread into nearby rubber plantations and the farmers there were looking for reparations.  There was nobody else burning nearby from where the fire may have spread and the harvester was nowhere near the land when the fire started.  The only conclusion was it was firebug kids wandering around at night. 

We have also had rice straw, which we normally keep for the home garden/compost etc, mysteriously set alight at night.  Kids out here in the sticks have little to do and have no respect for private property.  We have often gone out to the farm to find someone has been camping there the night before.  They drag straw up from the paddies and make beds and camp fires where they sit and drink beer and smoke yaa ba till the wee hours leaving empty bottles and trash everywhere.......and all the straw stacks have been burnt.

Coming from Australia and with all the bush fires we have, I know there are always lots of fire bugs around.......and not all are kids!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If that is the case, the simplest solution would be to not plant the sugarcane in the first place.

I find your statement as a farang, i.e. " If it were me with large fields of cane I would probably do the same" to be appalling to be honest.  

Brilliant idea! To expand on your simple solution just shut down all the sugarcane plants in Thailand and the planting will stop. I'm sure the sugarcane farmers will all happily go back to subsistence farming.

But really its not about the simplest solution what's needed is a workable solution to provide alternatives to the burning.

Regarding you being appalled by my statement for what its worth that is me empathizing with the farmers in our village and in general.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

I have not looked but I seem to remember that sugar cane is grown in the US (South) and in the Caribbean. how do they deal with the same issue?

Search Youtube for 'sugar cane harvester' to get an idea of how it can be done but the machinery looks prohibitively expensive for the typical cash strapped Thai farmer farming their relatively small plots of land. In the future I imagine the farming will become very mechanized here as it is already getting difficult to find people to work in the fields.

Just now, connda said:

Burning continues unabated...

...as it does every year because burning ag waste is more profitable then other methods and the government doesn't give a ****. 

Well, they do add a lot of hot air, but they do nothing to remedy the problem. That would cut into the profits of Big Ag as well as impact the locals who burn the forests to gather het top mushrooms in the rainy season.   The government will wring their hand and moan and groan - and do zip, zero, nada.

Here in Udon Thani, hardly ever used to have bad air quality (by that i mean 'unhealthy' i.e over 150). Last year for a couple of days you could taste the smoke. Just had 3 days over 150 without even local burning. Just getting other people <deleted> air blowing in. I did invest in an air purifier for Xmas.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You never been out the city in Australia? The farangs do it there.

They do it there for exactly the same reason they do it here. Well not here in Natai Beach where the air is always clear, but up where you live.

Google “Burdekin Snow”.

https://www.northqueenslandregister.com.au/story/6773682/burning-desire-for-first-cane-fire/