Car air condition leak sniffer, do you know any shop that has one ? Bangkok or Pattaya ?

sncoem

2 hours ago, ThailandFoodExpert said:

what did you fix there ?

Well, just got my car back today and to be honest Thomson was a mixed experience.

I had a light vibration in the rear drive shaft and that they did fix, but they recommended also changing the wishbone after I had left, so the bill added up beyond what was first agreed. 

I have a strange fault on the AC, basically it works fine if the cabin is cold, but the AC struggle if I have parked in the sun.

At first they said they could 100% fix it, but at the end I got the feeling they also still don't know what the fault it. At the end they didn't charge anything for the AC and it is still faulty , so fair enough, but it would be nice to get it fixed.

1617014018349.jpg

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Well, just got my car back today and to be honest Thomson was a mixed experience.

I had a light vibration in the rear drive shaft and that they did fix, but they recommended also changing the wishbone after I had left, so the bill added up beyond what was first agreed. 

I have a strange fault on the AC, basically it works fine if the cabin is cold, but the AC struggle if I have parked in the sun.

At first they said they could 100% fix it, but at the end I got the feeling they also still don't know what the fault it. At the end they didn't charge anything for the AC and it is still faulty , so fair enough, but it would be nice to get it fixed.

1617014018349.jpg

Thank you for report. What I do not like is that they are not even able to print an English receipt. It's so stupid when talking about technical parts / fix.

they recommended also changing the wishbone after I had left

maybe because they are doing their job correctly ? have you checked anywhere else before, and can you post photos of the part that was changed ? did they give you the old part to confirm that it was changed ?

maybe they where thinking that the problem was gaz leak ? What else could it be ? anyway better not charge you for anything than charge for something not needed as most idiot Somchais would have done ?

Did they confirm that your gaz level is correct ?

thanks again.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ThailandFoodExpert said:

Thank you for report. What I do not like is that they are not even able to print an English receipt. It's so stupid when talking about technical parts / fix.

maybe because they are doing their job correctly ? have you checked anywhere else before, and can you post photos of the part that was changed ? did they give you the old part to confirm that it was changed ?

maybe they where thinking that the problem was gaz leak ? What else could it be ? anyway better not charge you for anything than charge for something not needed as most idiot Somchais would have done ?

Did they confirm that your gaz level is correct ?

thanks again.

I am not faulting them for changing the wishbones, rear left + right, that was probably the right decision and a reasonable fair price.

Yes, they gave me the old parts to keep.

I don't have a gas leak as the AC compressor pressure is OK and it has been years since it was last refilled. Even a small leak would have drained it by now. 

It could be the expanded valve,  but nobody seem to know for sure.

1617022938605.jpg

1617022930704.jpg

1617022928318.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The irony is that today I just happen to walk past a shop that is specialized in refurbishing wishbone and they can replace the ball-joint for 700 baht a piece.

Well, live and learn!

NEVER go to a dealer for consumables - they will ONLY use OEM parts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

The AC could be dirty fan, fan bearing, dirty filter, weak fan-motor. 

Does it blow hard?

Plenty of air coming through the wents and it is nice and cold if the car has been parked in the shade.

Not so if I do a sun parking.

I doubt it is the compressor and the electric fan is also running fine.

It is also not a design fault, as the AC was nice and strong when the car was newer.

It is most likely the expansion valve, but to replace it apparently require removal of the entire dashboard. Not something I want Somchai to do, as it could easily damage other parts.

20210330_073320.jpg

18 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Plenty of air coming through the wents and it is nice and cold if the car has been parked in the shade.

Not so if I do a sun parking.

I doubt it is the compressor and the electric fan is also running fine.

It is also not a design fault, as the AC was nice and strong when the car was newer.

It is most likely the expansion valve, but to replace it apparently require removal of the entire dashboard. Not something I want Somchai to do, as it could easily damage other parts.

BQuik offer a flushing service.

https://www.b-quik.com/en/product/air

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

The plot thickens. They had the below machine at Thomson Garage, which they proudly showed me told thay paid 300,000 baht for.

It looks very similar to the flushing equipment in your link. So why didn't they use it?

20210329_142028.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I am still not convinced flushing the AC system will do any good.

It's not difficult to understand. It's explained everywhere and so logic.

Air and debris can be in your system even if you have a small leak that you don't even know.

• Like 1

I might have a mechanical sound AC after all and the problem lies elsewhere. 

Since I have 2 digital thermometers rigged up in the cabin, I decided to test in different points and Eureka, warm air is always coming out on the driver's floor side. This could point to faulty control flaps.

Also the air temperature does not change when I disengage the recirculation function. The recirculation function is most likely not working and I am constantly taking in ambient air, which explain why the AC is struggling during warm and sunny days.

This could be a relative easy DIY job. I might give it a try.

I still don't understand what the purpose of the photo transistor is, but that will have to wait for now.

Screenshot_20210331-180650_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210331-181401_Chrome.jpg

7 hours ago, thepdru said:

It's not difficult to understand. It's explained everywhere and so logic.

Air and debris can be in your system even if you have a small leak that you don't even know.

How do air and debris get into a closed system under pressure? 

I thing it can only get in when recharging or if completely empty. 

• Haha 1

I might have a mechanical sound AC after all and the problem lies elsewhere. 

Since I have 2 digital thermometers rigged up in the cabin, I decided to test in different points and Eureka, warm air is always coming out on the driver's floor side. This could point to faulty control flaps.

Also the air temperature does not change when I disengage the recirculation function. The recirculation function is most likely not working and I am constantly taking in ambient air, which explain why the AC is struggling during warm and sunny days.

This could be a relative easy DIY job. I might give it a try.

I still don't understand what the purpose of the photo transistor is, but that will have to wait for now.

Screenshot_20210331-180650_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210331-181401_Chrome.jpg

Good work...

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 2:46 PM, ThailandFoodExpert said:

Hi, do you know any Pattaya shop / garage that has this equipment to test air con system ?

Thank you.

Most do not have any equipment and detect leaks by experience. It's so funny how these "experts" are ridiculous and do not even know that if you detect leaks without a gas sniffer or dye, you are an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/30/2021 at 3:38 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't flushing the system just a marketing gimmic for re-charging the AC with new/more gas?

No diagnostic is done, so a defect expansion valve will not be detected. 

Flushing is the only way to inject proper gas amount. Nobody knows how much they put when they refill because they didn't know how much gas was in the system before refill.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mogandave said:

How do air and debris get into a closed system under pressure? 

I thing it can only get in when recharging or if completely empty. 

When you have a leak or you refill anything can go inside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sncoem said:

Most do not have any equipment and detect leaks by experience. It's so funny how these "experts" are ridiculous and do not even know that if you detect leaks without a gas sniffer or dye, you are an idiot.

Did you have a bad experience with the shop I used.

2 hours ago, sncoem said:

Flushing is the only way to inject proper gas amount. Nobody knows how much they put when they refill because they didn't know how much gas was in the system before refill.

You may be confusing flushing with evacuating.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sncoem said:

When you have a leak or you refill anything can go inside.

It hat not what he said? 

So an empty beer bottle could go inside? 

Edited by Yellowtail

Another thread was closed so I post here again what was explained and requested

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1212217-car-ac-aircon-air-conditioning-gas-refill-shops-how-do-they-know-that-they-put-enough-i-think-they-just-dont-know-but-maybe-you-know/?tab=comments#comment-16359648

Car AC aircon air conditioning gas refill shops, how do they know that they put enough ? I think they just don't know ! But maybe you know ?

Cheers,

My car AC has a leak and until I fix it I have o refill few times a year.

What is funny is that the only real way to know how much gas there is in the system, is to empty it (flush), and then put the amount required.

When they just refill I wonder how they know what is the total gas in the system.

For example my car should have 630g, but what they see when they refill is only low and high pressure, not the total gas in the car. Please check the pictures before and after refill, do you think that they refilled enough ? Or it's clearly impossible to know ?

And what if they put too much ?

I am wondering if any place is actually able to totally empty/flush the gas and refill it with required amount ?

But how can they know that they inject 630g even when they gauge does not show any quantity ?

Please tell me what I do not understand ?

Greetings !

I found this:

https://www.rechargeac.com/how-to/ac-system-pressure-chart

R-134a TEMPERATURE PRESSURE CHART
(Tabla de Temperaturas y Lecturas)
Ambient temp is the outside atmospheric temperature.
Ambient
Temperature °F / °C

(Temperatura Ambiental)
Low-Pressure Gauge
(Puerto de Servicio del Lado
de Baja Presion)
High-Pressure Gauge
de Lado de Alta Presion)
65°F (18°C) 25-35 psi / 172-241 kPa 135-155 psi / 931-1069 kPa
70°F (21°C) 35-40 psi / 241-276 kPa 145-160 psi / 1000-1103 kPa
75°F (24°C) 35-40 psi / 241-310 kPa 150-170 psi / 1034-1172 kPa
80°F (27°C) 40-50 psi / 276-345 kPa 175-210 psi / 1207-1448 kPa
85°F (29°C) 45-55 psi / 310-379 kPa 225-250 psi / 1551-1724 kPa
90°F (32°C) 45-55 psi / 310-379 kPa 250-270 psi / 1724-1862 kPa
95°F (35°C) 50-55 psi / 345-379 kPa 275-300 psi / 1896-2068 kPa
100°F (38°C) 50-55 psi / 345-379 kPa 315-325 psi / 2172-2241 kPa
105°F (41°C) 50-55 psi / 345-379 kPa 330-335 psi / 2275-2310 kPa
110°F (43°C) 50-55 psi / 345-379 kPa 340-345 psi / 2344-2379 kPa
INTERPRETING PRESSURE READINGS
Low-Pressure
Gauge
High-Pressure
Gauge
Action
Required
IN RANGE IN RANGE A/C is working properly.
LOW LOW Add Refrigerant.
LOW HIGH Need service, possible blockage of the
expansion valve or orifice tube.
HIGH LOW Needs service, possibly faulty compressor.
HIGH HIGH

System is overcharged. Slowly remove
refrigerant. Venting is illegal in USA.

441591857_carairconrefill.thumb.jpg.ad32504a6878f21abf7f3f202aea68e5.jpg

I wish that people do not comment to tell me to fix the leak blablabla... as you can guess I already know it !

The title of this post is:

Car AC aircon air conditioning gas refill shops, how do they know that they put enough ? I think they just don't know ! But maybe you know ?

And this is the only thing that I ask you. If you don't know, please just do not reply.

Edited by sncoem
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, sncoem said:

Another thread was closed so I post here again what was explained and requested

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1212217-car-ac-aircon-air-conditioning-gas-refill-shops-how-do-they-know-that-they-put-enough-i-think-they-just-dont-know-but-maybe-you-know/?tab=comments#comment-16359648

Cheers,

My car AC has a leak and until I fix it I have o refill few times a year.

What is funny is that the only real way to know how much gas there is in the system, is to empty it (flush), and then put the amount required.

When they just refill I wonder how they know what is the total gas in the system.

For example my car should have 630g, but what they see when they refill is only low and high pressure, not the total gas in the car. Please check the pictures before and after refill, do you think that they refilled enough ? Or it's clearly impossible to know ?

And what if they put too much ?

I am wondering if any place is actually able to totally empty/flush the gas and refill it with required amount ?

But how can they know that they inject 630g even when they gauge does not show any quantity ?

Please tell me what I do not understand ?

Greetings !

I found this:

https://www.rechargeac.com/how-to/ac-system-pressure-chart

R-134a TEMPERATURE PRESSURE CHART
(Tabla de Temperaturas y Lecturas)
Ambient temp is the outside atmospheric temperature.
Ambient
Temperature °F / °C

(Temperatura Ambiental)
Low-Pressure Gauge
de Baja Presion)
High-Pressure Gauge
de Lado de Alta Presion)
65°F (18°C) 25-35 psi / 172-241 kPa 135-155 psi / 931-1069 kPa
70°F (21°C) 35-40 psi / 241-276 kPa 145-160 psi / 1000-1103 kPa
75°F (24°C) 35-40 psi / 241-310 kPa 150-170 psi / 1034-1172 kPa
80°F (27°C) 40-50 psi / 276-345 kPa 175-210 psi / 1207-1448 kPa
85°F (29°C) 45-55 psi / 310-379 kPa 225-250 psi / 1551-1724 kPa
90°F (32°C) 45-55 psi / 310-379 kPa 250-270 psi / 1724-1862 kPa
95°F (35°C) 50-55 psi / 345-379 kPa 275-300 psi / 1896-2068 kPa
100°F (38°C) 50-55 psi / 345-379 kPa 315-325 psi / 2172-2241 kPa
105°F (41°C) 50-55 psi / 345-379 kPa 330-335 psi / 2275-2310 kPa
110°F (43°C) 50-55 psi / 345-379 kPa 340-345 psi / 2344-2379 kPa
INTERPRETING PRESSURE READINGS
Low-Pressure
Gauge
High-Pressure
Gauge
Action
Required
IN RANGE IN RANGE A/C is working properly.
LOW LOW Add Refrigerant.
LOW HIGH Need service, possible blockage of the
expansion valve or orifice tube.
HIGH LOW Needs service, possibly faulty compressor.
HIGH HIGH

System is overcharged. Slowly remove
refrigerant. Venting is illegal in USA.

441591857_carairconrefill.thumb.jpg.ad32504a6878f21abf7f3f202aea68e5.jpg

I wish that people do not comment to tell me to fix the leak blablabla... as you can guess I already know it !

The title of this post is:

And this is the only thing that I ask you. If you don't know, please just do not reply.

I am having the same problem and I have found a post on the forum, to change your evaporator you will have to do this

post-17329-0-52844700-1438428741_thumb.j

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sncoem said:

Emptying is vacuuming, not flushing.

Flushing uses Freon or a flushing liquid to wash the internals before a vacuum is pulled and gas is added.

20 minutes ago, sncoem said:

The amount of gas/Freon in a system can be estimated from the reading on the gauges. If your readings are within specs, your gas level is acceptable.