Car air condition leak sniffer, do you know any shop that has one ? Bangkok or Pattaya ?

sncoem

2 hours ago, sncoem said:

Another thread was closed so I post here again what was explained and requested

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1212217-car-ac-aircon-air-conditioning-gas-refill-shops-how-do-they-know-that-they-put-enough-i-think-they-just-dont-know-but-maybe-you-know/?tab=comments#comment-16359648

Car AC aircon air conditioning gas refill shops, how do they know that they put enough ? I think they just don't know ! But maybe you know ?

Cheers,

My car AC has a leak and until I fix it I have o refill few times a year.

What is funny is that the only real way to know how much gas there is in the system, is to empty it (flush), and then put the amount required.

When they just refill I wonder how they know what is the total gas in the system.

For example my car should have 630g, but what they see when they refill is only low and high pressure, not the total gas in the car. Please check the pictures before and after refill, do you think that they refilled enough ? Or it's clearly impossible to know ?

And what if they put too much ?

I am wondering if any place is actually able to totally empty/flush the gas and refill it with required amount ?

But how can they know that they inject 630g even when they gauge does not show any quantity ?

Please tell me what I do not understand ?

Greetings !

I found this:

https://www.rechargeac.com/how-to/ac-system-pressure-chart

R-134a TEMPERATURE PRESSURE CHART
(Tabla de Temperaturas y Lecturas)
Ambient temp is the outside atmospheric temperature.
Ambient
Temperature °F / °C

(Temperatura Ambiental)
Low-Pressure Gauge
(Puerto de Servicio del Lado
de Baja Presion)
High-Pressure Gauge
(Puerto de Servicio del Lado
de Lado de Alta Presion)
65°F (18°C) 25-35 psi / 172-241 kPa 135-155 psi / 931-1069 kPa
70°F (21°C) 35-40 psi / 241-276 kPa 145-160 psi / 1000-1103 kPa
75°F (24°C) 35-40 psi / 241-310 kPa 150-170 psi / 1034-1172 kPa
80°F (27°C) 40-50 psi / 276-345 kPa 175-210 psi / 1207-1448 kPa
85°F (29°C) 45-55 psi / 310-379 kPa 225-250 psi / 1551-1724 kPa
90°F (32°C) 45-55 psi / 310-379 kPa 250-270 psi / 1724-1862 kPa
95°F (35°C) 50-55 psi / 345-379 kPa 275-300 psi / 1896-2068 kPa
100°F (38°C) 50-55 psi / 345-379 kPa 315-325 psi / 2172-2241 kPa
105°F (41°C) 50-55 psi / 345-379 kPa 330-335 psi / 2275-2310 kPa
110°F (43°C) 50-55 psi / 345-379 kPa 340-345 psi / 2344-2379 kPa
INTERPRETING PRESSURE READINGS
Low-Pressure
Gauge
High-Pressure
Gauge
Action
Required
IN RANGE IN RANGE A/C is working properly.
LOW LOW Add Refrigerant.
LOW HIGH Need service, possible blockage of the
expansion valve or orifice tube.
HIGH LOW Needs service, possibly faulty compressor.
HIGH HIGH

System is overcharged. Slowly remove
refrigerant. Venting is illegal in USA.

441591857_carairconrefill.thumb.jpg.ad32504a6878f21abf7f3f202aea68e5.jpg

I wish that people do not comment to tell me to fix the leak blablabla... as you can guess I already know it !

The title of this post is:

Car AC aircon air conditioning gas refill shops, how do they know that they put enough ? I think they just don't know ! But maybe you know ?

And this is the only thing that I ask you. If you don't know, please just do not reply.

The only way to know how much gas and how much oil is in the system is to empty both and refill gas + oil. Anything else is only estimation.

You won't find any standard shop that has an idea about what I just said. They all live just as 30 years ago before Internet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 9:18 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

The irony is that today I just happen to walk past a shop that is specialized in refurbishing wishbone and they can replace the ball-joint for 700 baht a piece.

Well, live and learn!

20210330_101047.jpg

Where is the shop?

Somchai 1 - Thomson 0 or actually minus 24,180 points to Thomson, since that was the price I paid for a fix that did absolut nothing. 

Somchai saved the day.

Turns out that BMW in their infinite wisdom install cabin heater on their cars in Thailand. The hot water from the engine is controlled by two valves (left/right cabin air control). The valves are most likely working but over time the internal rubber seals starts leaking, sending hot water to the cabin, constantly fighting the AC.

It makes totally sense, as my floor heating slowly was getting worse over the past 5 years and the driver's side was far worse than the passenger side.

2 hose clamps and a small wooden plug and the heating loop has been permanently disabled. 

Finally, I can take a drive without getting my shin roasted. At one point I was getting 65°C air out of the floor vent.

Now I just have to deal with penguin droppings!

20210421_094341.jpg

20210421_100838.jpg

20210421_103720.jpg

20210421_103729.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Somchai 1 - Thomson 0 or actually minus 24,180 points to Thomson, since that was the price I paid for a fix that did absolut nothing. 

Somchai saved the day.

Turns out that BMW in their infinite wisdom install cabin heater on their cars in Thailand. The hot water from the engine is controlled by two valves (left/right cabin air control). The valves are most likely working but over time the internal rubber seals starts leaking, sending hot water to the cabin, constantly fighting the AC.

It makes totally sense, as my floor heating slowly was getting worse over the past 5 years and the driver's side was far worse than the passenger side.

2 hose clamps and a small wooden plug and the heating loop has been permanently disabled. 

Finally, I can take a drive without getting my shin roasted. At one point I was getting 65°C air out of the floor vent.

Now I just have to deal with penguin droppings!

20210421_094341.jpg

20210421_100838.jpg

20210421_103720.jpg

20210421_103729.jpg

Did he find the problem quickly ? is he specialized in German cars ?

3 minutes ago, l4ml4m said:

Did he find the problem quickly ? is he specialized in German cars ?

Weirdly enough it was a combination of farang methodology analysis and Somchai BMW knowledge. 

I have been fighting this problem for 5+ years and have been to 6-7 different shops.  They ALL pull out the 3 hose pressure gauge kit and offer their faulty opinion. 

This time, when I explained the hot floor air, the penny dropped.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

What separates a true mechanic from a parts swapper.

Did you go back to Thomsons - tell them and show them - would of loved to see the look on their face ! If not you should.

25 K THB for Nada - Idiots

No point in going back to Thomson.  They were a bit arrogant and kind of laughed it off when I suggested an alternative to their "expert" opinion. 

I took their word for it and paid the price. Lesson learned.

11 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

No point in going back to Thomson.  They were a bit arrogant and kind of laughed it off when I suggested an alternative to their "expert" opinion. 

Fair Enuf. Will add them to my FAH list

Just got the bill from Somchai, 600 baht!

For that he also fixed:

1. Windscreen washer, it was just gunk in the filter,

2. Right-rear electric window. It was stuck 

3. Dropped the exhaust pipe and changed a rubber seal on the drive shaft. 1+ hour job,

4. Brilliant fix of the aircon,

5. Did a test drive around the block with me.

In total he spend about 3 hours on the car.

Long live Somchai.

Edited by metisdead
Edited.

Thomson being good was the only reason I felt confident in picking this car up:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/440201133917975/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A921a043a-6fc5-4453-813b-4df76398a440

This thread depresses me, though I'm glad a cheap solution was found. 

7 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

You mean, the way Thomson has been plugged in several threads lately, is not justified?

37 minutes ago, stoneinfocus said:

Thomson being good was the only reason I felt confident in picking this car up:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/440201133917975/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A921a043a-6fc5-4453-813b-4df76398a440

This thread depresses me, though I'm glad a cheap solution was found. 

For 400k this is actually a nice car.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/782326029217625/?ref=facebook_story_share

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 10:46 PM, expatjustice said:

Nothing's good about BMW... Take a look at your own car, the inlet manifold is made of freaking PLASTIC! 

Not even a Toyota Vios uses plastic for the Inlet Manifold! 

BMW expensive as premium, yet gives you plastic all around the engine, which sooner or later causes oil leaks, compression leaks...

no plastic in any benz...

• Haha 1

For a perfect job; I already mentioned this place. The owner has also taught his son (I think he speaks English). Air (R134a refrigerant), sound, batteries.

Search Google maps:

พัฒนาการออโต้แอร์, Phatthanakan Road, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon, Thailand
Double shophouse 50 meters after Soi 57/1, and just before UOB Bank.
Tel: 081 844 5653

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, frequentatore said:

For a perfect job; I already mentioned this place. The owner has also taught his son (I think he speaks English). Air (R134a refrigerant), sound, batteries.

Search Google maps:

This shop?

Screenshot_20210521-181458_Maps.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frequentatore said:

Search Google maps:

This shop ?

https://goo.gl/maps/AAXZgAU6dq1vUTtC7

Ariel, what did they do on your car ?

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 8:06 PM, sncoem said:

This shop ?

https://goo.gl/maps/AAXZgAU6dq1vUTtC7

Ariel, what did they do on your car ?

yes i think its this one, so many photos of removed dashboard on very expensive cars....

https://www.facebook.com/PhathnakarnCharngAutoAir/photos/pcb.4384519524914288/4384519281580979

No photo description available.

But I am wondering, is there any car that can have the evaporator changed without removing the complete dashboard ?! Why car makes are not doing anything to change it easily ?! It seems so stupid to spend hours to remove a dashboard to change a part that costs $50.

Edited by l4ml4m

33 minutes ago, l4ml4m said:

yes i think its this one, so many photos of removed dashboard on very expensive cars....

https://www.facebook.com/PhathnakarnCharngAutoAir/photos/pcb.4384519524914288/4384519281580979

But I am wondering, is there any car that can have the evaporator changed without removing the complete dashboard ?! Why car makes are not doing anything to change it easily ?! It seems so stupid to spend hours to remove a dashboard to change a part that costs $50.

Are you for real? Because most never have to be changed, and people care more about the comfort and appearance of the car's interior than they do about how easy it is to change parts they will likely never need to change. 

Would you feel better about it if the part were $500? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, l4ml4m said:

No, that's not the same shop I mentioned last week. I wrote on Friday:

Copy and paste the whole sentence in Google Maps:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, frequentatore said:

No, that's not the same shop I mentioned last week. I wrote on Friday:

Copy and paste the whole sentence in Google Maps:

This one ?

https://goo.gl/maps/ejj8K8dUhfKahM6KA

Sorry but I cannot see anything good about the one you said ? no photos of any job done anywhere, when the one I posted which seems very near is working daily on Benz, BMW, Porsche etc... So why do you recommend yours ? and how much did you pay ?

https://goo.gl/maps/FKbCHSduKjYUgNnp7

Edited by l4ml4m

2 hours ago, l4ml4m said:

This one ?

https://goo.gl/maps/ejj8K8dUhfKahM6KA

Sorry but I cannot see anything good about the one you said ? no photos of any job done anywhere, when the one I posted which seems very near is working daily on Benz, BMW, Porsche etc... So why do you recommend yours ? and how much did you pay ?

https://goo.gl/maps/FKbCHSduKjYUgNnp7

Yes, that one with the yellow sign.

It's just a double-shophouse (air, batteries, sound, electrics). I recommend him because he is a honest man and has always done a perfect job. I've known this garage for 25 years. I'm handy (cars, home, etc) and I know the difference between a good and a <deleted>ty job.
He owns a Mercedes; I've seen some luxury cars but also some ordinary cars/trucks. Visit a few garages and you'll decide.
Two years ago, I paid 14,000 to replace my old compressor, all the pipes and the receiver-drier on my old truck.