Scotland's first minister Sturgeon faces resignation call amid row with predecessor

webfact

Scotland's first minister Sturgeon faces resignation call amid row with predecessor

2021-03-02T212804Z_1_LYNXNPEH211HI_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-POLITICS-SCOTLAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: The leader of the Scottish National Party (SNP) Nicola Sturgeon is applauded by former leader and local candidate Alex Salmond during campaigning in Inverurie, Aberdeenshire, April 18, 2015. REUTERS/Russell Cheyne

LONDON (Reuters) - Scotland's first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, should resign, the main opposition party said on Tuesday amid a dispute involving her predecessor that threatens to damage the independence movement.

Last week, former leader Alex Salmond accused the Scottish government of acting illegally and lacking leadership in a feud that has pitted the former friends against each other. Sturgeon has denied his accusations.

Salmond, who was cleared last year of committing multiple sex offences against women, said the handling of his case by the Scottish government had shown a failure of leadership.

The row stems from Sturgeon's handling of the government's response to the case against Salmond and whether she misled parliament over the details of what and when she knew of the allegations against her predecessor.

On Tuesday, the administration published legal advice regarding a parliamentary inquiry into the government's handling of harassment complaints.

Sturgeon is due to give evidence on Wednesday, but the main opposition Conservatives said she should quit.

"The weight of the evidence is overwhelming. Nicola Sturgeon must resign," Conservative leader Douglas Ross said.

"We will be submitting a Vote of No Confidence in the First Minister."

Sturgeon's Scottish National Party holds 61 of parliament's 129 seats.

She and her bid for a second independence referendum have been riding high in opinion polls, with many praising her handling of Scotland’s response to the coronavirus pandemic. Support has fallen back, although a majority still back a second referendum.

A spokesman for Sturgeon said the people of Scotland would decide who governs the country in an election in May.

"The First Minister will address all of the issues raised – and much more besides – at the committee tomorrow," he said.

"To call a vote of no confidence in the middle of a pandemic, before hearing a single word of the First Minister’s evidence, is utterly irresponsible."

(Reporting by Costas Pitas; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-03-03

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vogie said:

It hasn't taken long for anglophobia to raise its ugly head has it. We are talking about a leader of the SNP who tried to get an innocent man imprisoned here. 

Europhobia 's expected  reply of course....., 

Good morning 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, vogie said:

It hasn't taken long for anglophobia to raise its ugly head has it. We are talking about a leader of the SNP who tried to get an innocent man imprisoned here. 

What is the anglophobic aspect in that post? Is it verboten to use the E word at all for fear of being accused of anglophobia? 

If I like a post calling English people (every single one of them) "historically bitter" and "insignificant" could I justifiably be accused of anglophobia? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I believe its called gaslighting. 

i had to lookit up , as some English language expression's are not common understanding for a non native English person ....  but this explains it perfect  ????

Gaslighting is a term that refers to trying to convince someone they're wrong about something even when they aren't. ... In certain situations, someone might deliberately gaslight their partner as a way of controlling them – a serious form of emotional abuse that is never acceptable.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, david555 said:

i had to lookit up , as some English language expression's are not common understanding for a non native English person ....  but this explains it perfect  ????

Gaslighting is a term that refers to trying to convince someone they're wrong about something even when they aren't. ... In certain situations, someone might deliberately gaslight their partner as a way of controlling them – a serious form of emotional abuse that is never acceptable.

It's can also be used to describe the practice of accusing others of that of which you yourself are guilty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Clearly you have not been keeping up with recent polls in Scotland, majority in favour of staying in the union.

Whats your source for this pls????

Edited by Whale
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Why do the English get singled out all the time, the UK does not just consist of England, but being your "parasitic" neighbour I guess it does make us an easy target. Constantly referring to the "English" and not the UK does by anyones standards have a touch of anglophobia about it in anyones book, but obviously not to a nationalist, would that be a fair comment RR.

I refer to apples when I am talking about apples, just as I refer to fruit when I am talking about fruit. 

But if you could point out the anglophobic aspect of the post you criticised, I would appreciate it - every day can be a learning day. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, vogie said:

My post explains everything, but most nationalists always refer to England when they mean the UK, this is not a slip up, it is a childish way of flaming and just endorses their dislike of their "parasitic neighbour" 

Now it might be nice to actually discuss the point of this particular post, which is your FM resigning, what are your thoughts on this RR, should she go or should she stay, and are you happy with the way she has ran the country for the last 7 years and is the Scottish judicial system in need of a serious make-over. 

She hasn't been found guilty of anything yet so I don't want to pre-judge her, but if she has acted unlawfully then I hope she does the decent thing and goes. 

I suspect, if found to have broken ministerial code or the law then she will do the decent thing.

Certainly I would hope that she would not follow the practices of our genuinely corrupt Westminster government, who seem to break the law at will and take no responsibility for it. Funnily enough, they seem to have your full backing no matter how badly they behave. Strange that...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1