Hedge trimmer

james.d

I need to cut my hedge it's about 12 feet high and 3 feet wide. I am thinking about one of the electric trimming ones not the petrol powered type as l will be up and down ladders. The ones I have seen are about 2 kg in weight and l see petrol type are alot heavier.

There are 2 types: cordless and with electric cord.

Anyone using one of these? Anything I should be taking into consideration?

Many thanks.

32 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Electric ones have not enough power ( unless just trimming the leaves ).

If you need to cut the branches you'll need a petrol one.

I think if l went with the petrol type l would need to rent some scaffolding. But yes, l do understand you regarding ability to cut branches.

2 hours ago, james.d said:

I think if l went with the petrol type l would need to rent some scaffolding. But yes, l do understand you regarding ability to cut branches.

I've tried electric ones, not very good.

If it's a job for scaffolding etc, i'd get a couple locals in to do it, buy the trimmer and let them get after it,.

• Thanks 1

A trimmer, whether electric or petrol, is meant for trimming only.  For a hedge that large, you will likely be needing to cut branches that a trimmer simply cannot.  Heavy duty pruning sheers or even a chain saw is probably going to serve you better.

• Thanks 1

If you can't prune the hedge with electric trimmers then you should trim more often. Cordless trimmers are in my professional opinion nigh on useless for most jobs. I did a lot of hedge pruning back in the day and I cut through the cable maybe twice in that time, I had employees that did it about twice a week. 

I always had a saw and loppers at hand. 

For bigger hedges I took a trimmer on an extension, very useful and changed my life... left a hole in the wallet though.

DON'T buy a petrol engined trimmer, too heavy and more suited to farm work than gardening.