Pattaya: Scrap the 14 day quarantine or resort will take years to recover, says tourism leader

webfact

16 hours ago, bermondburi said:

Plenty of countries not infested with C19, and these are the markets Thailand should be looking at. 

Give us a clue ...

PS,  do the people of these Countries , have disposable income .?

Tribes in the Amazon , come to mind .. 

47 minutes ago, Leaver said:

For holidays?  I doubt it.  What airlines are flying that regularly, and to where?  Examples and links?  

Even so, their home country would / should require them to quarantine upon their return, so it's back to the same problem, if quarantine exits, either in Thailand, or when the tourist gets home, they don't travel.  

So you want me to provide you with links to flight schedules for holiday destinations. I'm not your secretary buddy! 

But using Thailand as an example, even right now there are daily flights in and out of Bangkok on Qatar, Emirates and Etihad. Travel hasn't stopped. 

2 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

So you want me to provide you with links to flight schedules for holiday destinations. I'm not your secretary buddy! 

But using Thailand as an example, even right now there are daily flights in and out of Bangkok on Qatar, Emirates and Etihad. Travel hasn't stopped. 

Can you at lease name some countries that are allowing their citizens to travel abroad, and return, without 2 weeks quarantine?

I think you will find Qatar, Emirates, and Etihad are transporting returning expats, both ways, and Thai citizens, not 2 week millionaires for a holiday.

• Like 1

Finally, the reality sinks in. 

Only those jobless but rich people who don't mind going into quarantine for 14 days because they have the money to travel for many months.

Edited by EricTh

On 3/3/2021 at 4:29 AM, Thomas J said:

A person who actually makes sense and is not afraid to say it.  Lets face it, ask yourself if you were a tourist and you had choices as to where to vacation, would you choose a destination that puts you into quarantine for 14 days or another.  Also, if someone really is willing to sit in quarantine for 14 days to visit, they are really not a tourist.  They are some form of long term resident. 

I wouldn,t sit 14 hours on a stopover to get there let alone 14 days on rule 43,sorry quarantine.

Edited by kingdong
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Which basically makes them a long stayer, or expat, not a tourist.  

the 60 day tourist visa has capacity for 90 days and the 90 day special tourist visa has capacity for 270 days....... long stayer tourists?

52 minutes ago, Bvor said:

the 60 day tourist visa has capacity for 90 days and the 90 day special tourist visa has capacity for 270 days....... long stayer tourists?

Are we classifying "tourists" by the visa they get?

We all know that the tourists we are discussing are the 2 week holiday tourists.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Are we classifying "tourists" by the visa they get?

We all know that the tourists we are discussing are the 2 week holiday tourists.  

not my call that these visa's are classified by immigration as tourist visas. apologies my comments were not limited to 2 week holiday tourists. i'm more acquainted with the 4 week plus types that i associate with so had a bit of a mindset that they were in big numbers re thai tourism economy.

37 minutes ago, Bvor said:

not my call that these visa's are classified by immigration as tourist visas. apologies my comments were not limited to 2 week holiday tourists. i'm more acquainted with the 4 week plus types that i associate with so had a bit of a mindset that they were in big numbers re thai tourism economy.

The vast amount of tourists to Thailand avail themselves on the 30 day visa exemption stamp, thus, no visa needed, and this class of tourist numbered in the millions, pre covid.  

They will not come  to Thailand if they have to quarantine in Thailand for 2 weeks upon arrival, but more importantly, even if Thailand removes their 2 week quarantine, they will still not travel to Thailand for a holiday if they have to do 2 weeks quarantine in their home country upon their return. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 3:39 PM, Salerno said:

Instead of listening to propaganda (they are putting out that message as they don't want conventional tourism due to the hassle of returnees) look at the reality. Anyone that lived/spent the majority of their time overseas have never needed to get an exemption, they could just rock up at the airport and show their travel history, since last October you can get an exemption by proving you are leaving for 3+ months. There are multiple flights out every day.

Correct Salerno. I depart Australia for Thailand 18/03/2021. I provided proof of duration of residence and long term living requirements in Thailand, such as bank accounts, drivers licence, property ownership etc. Singapore Airlines have a daily flight departing Brisbane International Airport along with other major airlines throughout Australia.

2 hours ago, Singo said:

Correct Salerno. I depart Australia for Thailand 18/03/2021. I provided proof of duration of residence and long term living requirements in Thailand, such as bank accounts, drivers licence, property ownership etc. Singapore Airlines have a daily flight departing Brisbane International Airport along with other major airlines throughout Australia.

How long is your holiday ?

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Which basically makes them a long stayer, or expat, not a tourist.  

Tourist Visas allow for 60 days stay extendable for a further 30.... the quarantine period has even been added to the usual term for Visa Exempt entry. So they are still regarded as tourists and classified as such.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

Can you at lease name some countries that are allowing their citizens to travel abroad, and return, without 2 weeks quarantine?

I think you will find Qatar, Emirates, and Etihad are transporting returning expats, both ways, and Thai citizens, not 2 week millionaires for a holiday.

It's possible to enter UAE right now, only require PCR test 72 hours before flight ( which is pretty standard ).

You can enter England without having to quarantine, it's self isolation ( if not from a country on the 'red list' ) which Thailand and many others are not.

There's 2 that i know off the top of my head but i'm sure there's plenty more.

Within 6 months you'd expect a lot of these quarantines to be done away with if you have a 'Vaccine Passport' or proof of having been vaccinated.....don't you think?

Or will there be no one travelling till 2023?

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

The vast amount of tourists to Thailand avail themselves on the 30 day visa exemption stamp, thus, no visa needed, and this class of tourist numbered in the millions, pre covid.  

They will not come  to Thailand if they have to quarantine in Thailand for 2 weeks upon arrival, but more importantly, even if Thailand removes their 2 week quarantine, they will still not travel to Thailand for a holiday if they have to do 2 weeks quarantine in their home country upon their return. 

The quarantines will not last forever.

Just now, HashBrownHarry said:

They don't come at the same time every year to escape winter.....

Any season birds?

People on long service leave, retirees on multi year round the world trips. Most definitions of long stay, expat etc. would be anyone staying over 180 days. Thai immigration seem to think that's a cutoff point and if you haven't got unlimited portability, the Australian government does as well.

1 minute ago, UncleMhee said:

People on long service leave, retirees on multi year round the world trips. Most definitions of long stay, expat etc. would be anyone staying over 180 days. Thai immigration seem to think that's a cutoff point and if you haven't got unlimited portability, the Australian government does as well.

I know people who do contracting work, they make enough money to come here for 2,3 or 4 months ( or longer ). If there's a shortage of work they might not come for a year or two.

Would they not be considered tourists?

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I know people who do contracting work, they make enough money to come here for 2,3 or 4 months ( or longer ). If there's a shortage of work they might not come for a year or two.

Would they not be considered tourists?

Wouldn't the distinction be the activities engaged in while here, for however long, differentiate the nomenclatures. As I'm sure you're well aware, there are many types of tourists and previously you were more interested in what would have you designated long stay, expat etc. Over 180 days; long stay expat. Irregular vistitors under 180 days; tourists of all persuasions. How do you view irregular family visits? Thanks for the chat Harry but; I'm done with semantics regarding this however, you feel free to tie yourself in knots for as long as you like.

1 minute ago, UncleMhee said:

Wouldn't the distinction be the activities engaged in while here, for however long, differentiate the nomenclatures. As I'm sure you're well aware, there are many types of tourists and previously you were more interested in what would have you designated long stay, expat etc. Over 180 days; long stay expat. Irregular vistitors under 180 days; tourists of all persuasions. How do you view irregular family visits? Thanks for the chat Harry but; I'm done with semantics regarding this however, you feel free to tie yourself in knots for as long as you like.

Apology accepted.

On 3/2/2021 at 11:48 PM, pokerface1 said:

Doesn't make any difference to me, quarantine or not. There are no international flights out of Australia till October 2021. By the way anyone know where I can buy a hot air Balloon?

Where there is a will..there is a way ????

swimming.gif

On 3/6/2021 at 8:31 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

It's possible to enter UAE right now, only require PCR test 72 hours before flight

Is the UAE a major holiday destination?

You can enter England without having to quarantine, it's self isolation

Self isolation is still quarantine.

That's still one month off work for a 2 week holiday to Thailand. 

There's 2 that i know off the top of my head but i'm sure there's plenty more.

Name a couple more.  The first two are not good examples.

Within 6 months you'd expect a lot of these quarantines to be done away with if you have a 'Vaccine Passport' or proof of having been vaccinated.....don't you think?

As I have said, the tourist will have to be vaccinated.  No problem for those from developed nations, as they roll out their vaccination program. 

The problem is the vaccination roll out of developing nations, including Thailand.  

For Thailand, the math for vaccinating 65% of the population, by the end of 2021, is bout 155,000 vaccinations per day, for 300 straight days, starting the 1st March.   It's not happening, and probably will never get to that rate of vaccination.  

A vaccinated person can still contract the disease, carry the disease, and transmit the disease.  Unless Thai's a vaccinated to around 65% of the population, and that's probably a minimum percent, Thailand's tourism industry can not start up, safely.  

I have suggested vaccines may be diverted to Phuket, for example, to vaccinate the Phuket locals to 65% very quickly, and then quarantine the island and open up the airport, but that announcement has yet to be made, if it will be made at all.

Or will there be no one travelling till 2023?

As I have said, the immediate future of Thailand's tourism industry is now in the hands of the Thai's.

How much vaccine will they buy?  How much vaccine will they make? How fast can they buy it and make it?  How fast will they vaccinate 65% of the Thai population?

It's not just about the tourist who has been vaccinated in the UK wanting to come to Thailand for a 2 week holiday and traveling through the UAE.    

On 3/6/2021 at 6:57 AM, jacko45k said:

Tourist Visas allow for 60 days stay extendable for a further 30.... the quarantine period has even been added to the usual term for Visa Exempt entry. So they are still regarded as tourists and classified as such.

Is that really the tourists we are discussing?  

The vast majority, in the millions, holiday here for 2 weeks.  Do you think they are going to holiday here for 3 months?  

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 8:33 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

Where / What is the cut off point for 'long stayer' or 'tourist'?

I know plenty people that come here for 2, 3 or 4 months, what are they?

They are snowbirds.  

They were declining after the new visa laws, pre covid.

In any case, the vast majority of the millions of tourists that come to Thailand stay for a period of up to 2 weeks.

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Is the UAE a major holiday destination?

Self isolation is still quarantine.

That's still one month off work for a 2 week holiday to Thailand. 

Name a couple more.  The first two are not good examples.

As I have said, the tourist will have to be vaccinated.  No problem for those from developed nations, as they roll out their vaccination program. 

The problem is the vaccination roll out of developing nations, including Thailand.  

For Thailand, the math for vaccinating 65% of the population, by the end of 2021, is bout 155,000 vaccinations per day, for 300 straight days, starting the 1st March.   It's not happening, and probably will never get to that rate of vaccination.  

A vaccinated person can still contract the disease, carry the disease, and transmit the disease.  Unless Thai's a vaccinated to around 65% of the population, and that's probably a minimum percent, Thailand's tourism industry can not start up, safely.  

I have suggested vaccines may be diverted to Phuket, for example, to vaccinate the Phuket locals to 65% very quickly, and then quarantine the island and open up the airport, but that announcement has yet to be made, if it will be made at all.

As I have said, the immediate future of Thailand's tourism industry is now in the hands of the Thai's.

How much vaccine will they buy?  How much vaccine will they make? How fast can they buy it and make it?  How fast will they vaccinate 65% of the Thai population?

It's not just about the tourist who has been vaccinated in the UK wanting to come to Thailand for a 2 week holiday and traveling through the UAE.    

Wow, you've put a lot of effort into that reply - well done.

Is the UAE a holiday destination, if you even need to ask this then i worry about you.....

Not all tourists that come here will require time off work.

No, find out for yourself, i've mentioned the ones i know of first hand.

Tourists will have to be vaccinated OR do the quarantine.

Was is you that gave the authorities the idea about Phuket? or are just just copying what they're doing....

You don't need to be vaccinated to transit through UAE fyi, or infact to even enter UAE so you're wrong.

On 3/6/2021 at 8:33 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

The quarantines will not last forever.

Of course quarantines will not last forever, but it's not going anywhere anytime soon, not until the individual tourist has been vaccinated, and Thailand has vaccinated at least 65% of the population.