Laptop Recommendations

Yellowtail

I want to replace my Asus VIvoBook S510 as it is a few years old. It has an i7 processor and 16GB RAM, a small SSD and a larger HD.

I want something similar, although I would rather go with a single 1TB SSD.

Would also like a US English lighted keyboard and windows pro.

Any brand/model recommendations and or particular shops in Bangkok would be appreciated. I normally buy while in the US but I might not make it back this year and  the hinge on the Asus is getting a little sketchy.

I spent 6 weeks back in the US recently and buying a new laptop was one of my  priorities. I first bought the new Microsoft Surface Laptop Go(8 GB ram and 128 GB SSD and an Intel I5 processor).  Saw a lot of positive reviews on youtube(this laptop is or was available at Banana in Chiang Mai before I left in January).  I returned it after a week because it only got about 5 hours on a full charge.

I wanted to buy the new Mac Air M1 but their was a 2 to 3 week wait for delivery.  This would not work because by then my COE had been issued with a fixed departure date.

I finally settled on a Samsung Flex Alpha(8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD and an Intel I5 processor).  So far I am very happy with the Samsung Laptop.  I went to the Samsung shop a the mall and was told Samsung does not sell it's laptops in Thailand(I did not get an explanation as to why).  It also has a QLED screen and the watching videos is great.  The usual list price is $849.99 but I got it for $649.99 on sale at Best Buy.  

I would not buy a Microsoft Laptop but the Samsung does not sell laptops in Thailand.  You might have to go with an Acer, Azus or Apple if you have to buy in Thailand.  

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I want to replace my Asus VIvoBook S510 as it is a few years old. It has an i7 processor and 16GB RAM, a small SSD and a larger HD.

Any brand/model recommendations and or particular shops in Bangkok would be appreciated. I normally buy while in the US but I might not make it back this year and  the hinge on the Asus is getting a little sketchy.

Fix the hinge and fit a couple of larger SSD(2 x 512GB?) 3000 baht? 

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

The hinge has been an ongoing issue that I do not think will go away. 

Why do you think so? A hinge is a hinge. Maybe a bolt needs loosening or you can simply have it replaced. 

People tend to leave the issue until the surrounding plastic gets damaged. Get it sorted sooner. It doesn't sound like a major issue. 

https://www.asus.com/support/service-center/thailand

Laptop is way too new to scrap. If you don't want it, give it to me. I have a friend crying out for a new laptop. I would happily pay to get the hinge sorted and pass it on. Though seriously, it 's a small issue, as is fitting two large capacity SSDs.

11 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

It takes minutes to upgrade from Home to Pro and costs a few hundred baht. You don't even need to install anything. You enter the Pro generic key to move from Home to Pro and then you enter a purchased Pro key in order to activate it. It's that easy.

The shops must love you. These are seriously minor issues.

15 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Why do you think so? A hinge is a hinge. Maybe a bolt needs loosening or you can simply have it replaced. 

People tend to leave the issue until the surrounding plastic gets damaged. Get it sorted sooner. It doesn't sound like a major issue. 

https://www.asus.com/support/service-center/thailand

Laptop is way too new to scrap. If you don't want it, give it to me. I have a friend crying out for a new laptop. I would happily pay to get the hinge sorted and pass it on. Though seriously, it 's a small issue, as is fitting two large capacity SSDs.

Well, I got the hinge straightened out, thanks!

Looks like I'll have to come up with some other reason to justify buying a new one...

16 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

It takes minutes to upgrade from Home to Pro and costs a few hundred baht. You don't even need to install anything. You enter the Pro generic key to move from Home to Pro and then you enter a purchased Pro key in order to activate it. It's that easy.

The shops must love you. These are seriously minor issues.

Are the activation keys on Lazada legal? 

I have ACAD, Acrobat and Office installed and I don't want to dick up my system. 

Everybody loves me...

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Are the activation keys on Lazada legal? 

I have ACAD, Acrobat and Office installed and I don't want to dick up my system. 

Everybody loves me...

Product key cannot do anything to hurt your system...EVER.

In the old days people would install crude hacks. The Operating system would not work properly if not activated.

These days Windows 10 works without a product key. The product key is almost superfluous. Don't waste your time thinking too much about it. If it makes you feel better you can pay more for the key.

The most important thing is the software that you install. As long as it is the genuine untampered with item, you have no worries. The key is just the cherry on top.

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Well, I got the hinge straightened out, thanks!

Looks like I'll have to come up with some other reason to justify buying a new one...

There is no reason. Sorry. ???? Your laptop is good and will probably spite you by lasting years and years. 

Generic key you need is here: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

This will change the edition. To activate the edition once changed, buy a cheap Pro key.

Disconnect from the Internet before changing the edition and adding the new activation key. It's likely not a prequisite, but it's what I did.

Back up your important data just in case.

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Generic key you need is here: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

This will change the edition. To activate the edition once changed, buy a cheap Pro key.

Disconnect from the Internet before changing the edition and adding the new activation key. It's likely not a prequisite, but it's what I did.

Back up your important data just in case.

Thanks!