For the Thai bashers - RANT:

ctxa

15 hours ago, ThailandFoodExpert said:

Don't you think that Benz are nicer with the star on the front grill ?

Mercedes Benz Front Grill And Logo Editorial Photo - Image of color, keys:  147421356

My friends often ask me whether I drive my father in law's car :cheesy: 

For me, if I wanted something sportier such as the star on the front grill, I'll then get a BMW. The reason why I choose Mercedes over pretty much any other brand is precisely their "Classic, Business" look. And the star on the bonnet a must for me. Sad to see they are slowly taking it away, before even the C-Class had it, now not even the E-Class :whistling:

In China the girls say that Mercedes with the star on the front grill belong to 'playboys', definitely not what I want others to think about me 55555

Edit: Thankfully here in Asia they don't tend to be stolen... I had a friend back in Europe, who superglued bits of glass to his star ornament in the bonnet (after having had it stolen 2 times). One day after work found it stained with blood, and not too long thereafter the police came to his house looking for him. They tried to steal his bonnet star and he ended up paying a fine, unbelievable. 

Edited by onthedarkside
profanity term removed
  • Haha 2

I used to ride a motorbike in Thailand and I lways wore a helmet. If I had a passenger we did not move until they had put ther helmet on.

Anyone who does not wer a helmet should be heavily fined. Why you ask? Well if they have an accident hospital staff will probably have to dedicate time to looking after them, time other less stupid patients could use.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ctxa said:

My friends often ask me whether I drive my father in law's car :cheesy: 

For me, if I wanted something sportier such as the star on the front grill, I'll then get a BMW. The reason why I choose Mercedes over pretty much any other brand is precisely their "Classic, Business" look. And the star on the bonnet a must for me. Sad to see they are slowly taking it away, before even the C-Class had it, now not even the E-Class :whistling:

In China the girls say that Mercedes with the star on the front grill belong to 'playboys', definitely not what I want others to think about me 55555

Edit: Thankfully here in Asia they don't tend to be stolen... I had a friend back in Europe, who superglued bits of glass to his star ornament in the bonnet (after having had it stolen 2 times). One day after work found it stained with blood, and not too long thereafter the police came to his house looking for him. They tried to steal his bonnet star and he ended up paying a fine, unbelievable. 

yes playboy fits me well ???? And anyway I do not think that there is any AMG with the star on the bonnet ?

But I feel like vomit when you compare benz and bmw...

I would prefer a 20 years old Benz rather than a brand new BMW. They are cars for Russian if you know what I mean...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ThailandFoodExpert said:

yes playboy fits me well ???? And anyway I do not think that there is any AMG with the star on the bonnet ?

But I feel like vomit when you compare benz and bmw...

I would prefer a 20 years old Benz rather than a brand new BMW. They are cars for Russian if you know what I mean...

Haha, I think you misunderstood me. I would never buy a BMW let alone an Audi. What I wanted to say is that myself buying a Mercedes with a star in the front grill is almost as impossible as myself buying a BMW. And yep, no AMG with star in the bonnet. Only the Sedan models (C Class - E Class - S Class) with the "Elegance/Classic" trim get the star in the bonnet/

However, I do agree that Mercedes with the star in the front grill suits young people way better, and it is no wonder why most of people prefer the star in the front grill. I guess it's just that I am weird ????

BMW fanboys be like, oh, the E63 S AMG stands no chance against the BMW M8 in a drag race. Well of course, the Merc takes 4 people and the BMW barely 2????. Then when you remind them about how BMW had to quit F1 because of how embarrassed they were that even Renault won more championships than them, the fanboys get so triggered, haha.

Mercedes saves your life. Toyota ????.... Talking my from my own experience with a classmate who crashed while doing around 130 km/h with his Mercedes R320 back in Europe and made it (picture attached). Another friend in Thailand had a very similar accident while doing around 90 km/h with a Toyota Vios, and kicked it ????

image.png.0574940acd785ed7291499f783c22faf.png

• Like 2

On 3/3/2021 at 4:02 PM, ctxa said:

Sure, but this post is not about showing how good of a driver I am (hehe, cuz I am not. I do many of those bad things too). It's just about the hypocrisy of many farang criticizing Thais for the way they drive and then doing the same things they criticize or even worse. 

riding without a helmet is only a danger to the rider, driving while using a phone/camera is a danger to others

19 minutes ago, steve187 said:

riding without a helmet is only a danger to the rider, driving while using a phone/camera is a danger to others

So you wont mind  if I hurl 50kg at you at  about 45km/h then? That's just the body, then there's  the weight of the machine when it  hits  you.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gunderhill said:

I'm just  appalled that  you don't have a driver????, locals  by me are way  better at driving.

Now that I see your video, it reminded me of something that I’ve had in my mind for a while. Which is: 

90%+ of the accidents I see could have been avoided had either party stepped hard on their brakes, why did the accident still happen anyway? 

Both here in Thailand and in China (countries where I’ve driven the most) I’ve had multiple close calls, but in all of them me stepping on the brakes hard has done the trick. In China once I was in a expressway doing 110 kph on the middle lane when suddenly I saw a car completely stopped in the middle of the road. I stepped hard on the brakes and managed to stop inches away from her (I probably had no more than 100m to stop my car as this was right after a curve and it was impossible to see that stopped car earlier). This was the closest I’ve ever had, and I was lucky that while I normally speed and a lot, that day I was only doing 110, had I been doing 120 even I would have most likely crashed…. 

Instead many people step on the gas when they see an accident incoming to try to avoid the other driver. But the truth is that very few cars will provide you with an instant acceleration of 1G(9.8m/s2) specially if your speed is already high. However pretty much every car will experience a deceleration of (at least) 1G if you stomp hard enough on the brakes. 

Edited by ctxa

...the point of the whole post. It was for those racist Thai bashers farang, to prove them that farang also do those things which they bash Thais for all day long, and sometimes even worse ????

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Unless that vehicle is LHD you would have to have been driving the vehicle when taking the picture.

A very irresponsible and illegal thing to do.

Luckily you did not kill anyone whilst clearly distracted.

mobile phone attached to glass, in webcam etc mode ???? 

- surely one would realise that no one could hold a camera THAT steady!

Had plenty of people hit me here, none of them western. But that's basic probability - the Thais outnumber us massively.

Had one car chase when someone hit me and drove off. All friends when he stopped of course.

Rear ended one guy who came out with a Heckler and Koch T-Shirt on - I gave him no <deleted>.

But the one that stands out - a drunk motorcylist with no insurance at lunchtime drove into my wife's Beemer and the discussion went like this:

Him "It's your fault, you aren't supposed to park on the bend"

Wife "I wasn't parked - I was moving, you drove straight into me and you are drunk".

Him "Yes, I may be drunk but I drive drunk this way every day and I never hit anyone before"

Apart from that - fender benders in Bangkok are annoying and common but it's crowded and nobody wants to let anyone in. I don't find it that bad. But westerners? They are a tiny minority, I'd consider it good luck to get into a crash with one.

On 3/3/2021 at 3:21 PM, ctxa said:

So the title of the post is pretty clear in itself, right? This post is meant for those which bash Thais all day for not wearing helmets while riding their bikes, for not respecting traffic regulations, for driving like cocks. And specially for those farang which are such amazing drivers, that they would easily beat Lewis Hamilton at a F1 Track driving a Renault Twingo..... 

Picture taken today near Rama 9 in Bangkok. Helmetless farang, riding his bike, passed me on the LEFT through a very narrow space, and when a pedestrian suddenly attempted to cross the road, he swerved right and was inches away from falling into my car..... 

Needless to say, the only accident or rather incident which I've personally had after many kilometers of driving in Thailand, was when I was completely stopped at a red light, and a drunk farang rear ended me with his bike. Luckily I had no more than a few dents in my bumper which his insurance took care of anyway..... 

But my point still stands, if you wanna be Thai bashers because of how they drive or because they don't wear helmets then you must set a good example yourself. 

How easy it is to rant all day about drivers in Thailand, road deaths, how good it was back at home.... And then you ride your bike helmetless while driving like a <deleted>.

But again after all, as it happens with face masks. Asian people tend to be much more compliant than us Western people. And from what I see the same happens with Traffic regulations, we only comply with them back home because otherwise our monthly salary would be gone just by paying traffic fines isnt it?. But as it seems many when they come to Thailand they forget about the traffic rules (only when they drive, tho), because they very well remember them while lecturing others....

RANT OVER.

3001614759043_.pic_hd.jpg

He's on holiday - nothing you don't see in Spain. 

On 3/3/2021 at 4:16 PM, Surelynot said:

Mmmmm.....don't agree with basing Thais per se, but their driving skills are atrocious and having seen the driving lessons and driving test it is blindingly obvious why it is so poor.

You don't accidentally have one of the highest rates of road deaths and accidents by accident.

I don't think they are all bad. I think the problem is there is no enforcement, so the bad ones are really bad. And memorable.

I think the deaths are motorcycles - which doesn't necessarily reflect on car drivers.

We've all seen the guys on the motorway weaving in and out, giving themselves no room for error. But think about it - they are weaving in and out of regular, steady drivers. They are the exception and they are REALLY bad. They aren't the rule or it'd be Mad Max out there.

I do get that it seems bad all the time but I quite like it. In the UK, the slightest infraction will have a mother of 3 calling you a c*** and  giving you double barrel fingers and I have to tell you - when I drive there, I am not popular. One guy threw a can of coke at my car simply because I accidentally cut him off miles earlier. Here it's every man for himself but if you get in first - nobody cares. 

I like the blend of every man for himself and not getting hot and bothered. Well - until they do and shoot you.

I also love it when people are waiting to cross the road, you stop to let them and they just stand there as if you didn't. The stop is so rare, they seem not to compute.

Plus - no tickets, no points on your license, a camera catches you at 180 and you get a 500 Baht fine.

It's like the wild west. Put on your cowboy hat and enjoy.

• Like 1