Pattaya or Jomtien.. Why did you choose one over the other..

moontang

Been staying S Patts after many Jomtien trips.  Really eye opening.  Got a great hotel, better than the last Marriott I stayed at, for a song.  Not as close to the beach, but easy enough. 

I am starting to think this is better long term.  Just seems more sophisticated.. and the girls are younger, too.  Of course, these are unusual times, and it would be much more different with thousands of our favorite tourists, be they Chinese, ME, Indian, American, or whomever.. 

So what was your thought process on choosing one over the other? 

Sheers! 

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've always preferred central Pattaya, I couldn't face living in Jomtien, I bought in Pratumnak which is close enough to central, even walkable to Walking St

same me pratumnuk is great far enough so cant be tempted to go out everynight close enough so its not a hassle getting home, lived in central patts for a bit was on the <deleted> constantly

• Like 2

I was kind of surprised to see that while the jomtien beaches near TMB are well above average, once you get to the southern end, it reminded me of lots of the Oregon Coast..you can be oceanfront without any beach.  Is there a known dividing line in Jomtien, where the "good beach" area is, or is is constantly changing?

That was a good point about having a need to get to one or the other.  I will be here for a week without going to Jomtien, but when I stayed there, almost daily trips, that became a chore on weekends. 

I will add, that a few lady friends didn't hesitate to come see me in Jomtien or even mutter "very far," but that likely has more to do with purple persuasion and the local economy, than me being a hansum man. 

Edited by moontang

I lived on Wongamat Beach and preferred that area over both.  It's much cleaner than both areas yet a short ride into the action and shopping when that's desired Less than 5 mins on motorbike from Terminal 21 and many of my favorite eateries. I could also walk along the beach to several great restaurants on the beach including my favorite in the entire area, the Surf and Turf.

• Like 2

I have lived all over the place, and can't say I prefer one over the other. I thought every place had its advantages, far away from all the bad reputation I read before coming there. Wongamat is wonderful, South Pattaya as well, and Jomtien the more quiet area. Loved all of it.

But it all came down to the accommodation of my stay. You are close enough to getting everywhere anyway. But I think getting around by your own motorbike is a must. Just staying around the baht bus route, may be boring after a while.

38 minutes ago, kaneko86 said:

My way of going out is anyway more going to restaurants with a girl than barhopping and Jomtien has a lot of restaurants to choose from.

Certainly not more than Pattaya surely!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I believe it does..... sometimes it takes more than 15 minutes effort to get between the 2 places, more so since they seem to have dug all the roads up. Jomtiem is like Pattaya a decade or so back, and I too would consider it lacking for resources and nightlife.

A 15 min bike drive is not realy a lack of recources it's just lazyness IMO . 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I enjoy central Pattaya. It is close to most of entertainment venue. Access to all kinds of restaurants, shopping more easy, access to malls and movie halls. One of the most important if you are out on bike and rain start you can be in your hotel in few minutes. Imagine riding to Jomtien from central mall in heavy rain.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, geisha said:

I prefer Jomtien only because the air I breathe is better, and less trafic except weekends and holidays. There’s more space too, at least for the moment. 

Well at the moment the road in is not easy.... half of Thrappaya is closed off heading down to (and from) the beach and parts of Jomtiem second... you cannot exit nor enter Soi5.  (immigration). I had to turn down soi 7 and back into soi 5 from Beach Rd. 

Edited by jacko45k

26 minutes ago, geisha said:

I prefer Jomtien only because the air I breathe is better, and less trafic except weekends and holidays. There’s more space too, at least for the moment. 

I feel the same,but I am coming round to the idea that splitting a holiday up is the way to go.Start in Pattaya and stay till I can't stand the traffic,pollution and noise etc and then move to jomtien.If I was to choose one to live in full time it would be jomtien.

• Like 1