Pattaya or Jomtien.. Why did you choose one over the other..

moontang

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That is all very well if just going shopping (for very little) ..... I ride around on a bike a lot myself. But if one is having a few beers, the bike is not an option. It seems a little too far for an uncomfortable WIN ride....  Older people cannot use bikes, plus some simply refuse to.....  and I cannot argue them that decision. I really do not see how taking a songtaew over a motorcycle could be deemed as laziness, nothing to do with it. 

It's lazy to choose not to travel for 15 min to go out in town or go from town back home . You cannot tell me that when you where in your hometown everybody lives next to the reataurants and bars just because a 15min taxi ride or motorbike ride is to much ??  There wouldn't have been enough homes around all those bars and restaurants for everybody to live . People travel all over the world to visit their favorate countries and bars and restaurants but a 15min ride with whatever transport chosen is to much ??? 

• Sad 1

Have you all ever looked at www.walkscore.com?  I have done well without a car with a score of 72, but another place was a 94, and a car was almost a liability. parking, street sweeping tickets, etc.. 

Edited by moontang

54 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

It's lazy to choose not to travel for 15 min to go out in town or go from town back home . You cannot tell me that when you where in your hometown everybody lives next to the reataurants and bars just because a 15min taxi ride or motorbike ride is to much ??  There wouldn't have been enough homes around all those bars and restaurants for everybody to live . People travel all over the world to visit their favorate countries and bars and restaurants but a 15min ride with whatever transport chosen is to much ??? 

Well what you say is redundant nowadays, with the very agreeable Bolt taxis readily available (and things less busy)... but without them not so. I have often found I feel a need to get home quickly after drinking all evening, bathroom needs, a few gallons sloshing around etc....  Making my way from LK Metro, to the Pattaya 8 school corner where some SoaB makes me wait 20 minutes while he packs a few more Russians in, for a slow bump and roll ride up the hill... 15 minutes is optimistic.

The old days from Walking St and up the little alley to The Lido Beach Hotel were more my thing!

• Like 2

On 3/3/2021 at 3:24 PM, moontang said:

Been staying S Patts after many Jomtien trips.  Really eye opening.  Got a great hotel, better than the last Marriott I stayed at, for a song.  Not as close to the beach, but easy enough. 

I am starting to think this is better long term.  Just seems more sophisticated.. and the girls are younger, too.  Of course, these are unusual times, and it would be much more different with thousands of our favorite tourists, be they Chinese, ME, Indian, American, or whomever.. 

So what was your thought process on choosing one over the other? 

Sheers! 

Does whomever include the Brits?

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well what you say is redundant nowadays, with the very agreeable Bolt taxis readily available (and things less busy)... but without them not so. I have often found I feel a need to get home quickly after drinking all evening, bathroom needs, a few gallons sloshing around etc....  Making my way from LK Metro, to the Pattaya 8 school corner where some SoaB makes me wait 20 minutes while he packs a few more Russians in, for a slow bump and roll ride up the hill... 15 minutes is optimistic.

The old days from Walking St and up the little alley to The Lido Beach Hotel were more my thing!

What are the online taxis charging from Central Pattaya to Jomtien?  

7 hours ago, Henryford said:

Choose Pratamnack, the best of both worlds

I like Pratumnak , but no public transport . Saw at least 3 condos, quality buildings, but as I don’t have a car or ride a scooter ( here through winter months only) it was impossible. No nearby supermarkets without a very long uphill walk to baht bus. I’m sure a baht bus route would be very successful there. 

• Like 1

"Pattaya or Jomtien.. Why did you choose one over the other..."

The real question should be, if you're digging for clams which of the locations has the best quality and quantities per shovel-full?  :wink:

On 3/4/2021 at 8:43 AM, LALes said:

If this was baseball, Pattaya would be the Major Leagues and Jomtien would be Double A, minor league ball.

Especially, when it comes to women.

The only advantage to living in Jomtien is owning a condo close to the beach; but then you have to live with the

ensuing noise day and night from non-stop partiers.

The best yardstick for measuring which is better is this question...

If you lived in Jomtien, how often would you go to Pattaya and if you lived in Pattaya, how often would you go to Jomtien?

I actually liked Double A and Triple AAA better than the majors.  Significantly less money to attend but amazing un-tapped talent for those with a scouting eye.  Up and coming major leaguers are pretty exciting.  A fraction of the price and all the same excitement!!!

7 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Let me tell you a secret , if you pay a little more he will drive you home without waiting for any other customers and he will not stop to let other people in as well . ???? don't tell anyone . 

Yeah good luck with that and it won't be a 'little more'.....

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 1:18 PM, Nanaplaza666 said:
On 3/4/2021 at 4:01 AM, jacko45k said:

I believe it does..... sometimes it takes more than 15 minutes effort to get between the 2 places, more so since they seem to have dug all the roads up. Jomtiem is like Pattaya a decade or so back, and I too would consider it lacking for resources and nightlife.

A 15 min bike drive is not realy a lack of recources it's just lazyness IMO . 

I'm not sure that it's lazyness, more lifestyle preference or whatever suits at that moment..............

• Like 1

14 hours ago, geisha said:

I like Pratumnak , but no public transport . Saw at least 3 condos, quality buildings, but as I don’t have a car or ride a scooter ( here through winter months only) it was impossible. No nearby supermarkets without a very long uphill walk to baht bus. I’m sure a baht bus route would be very successful there. 

I agree Pratamnack itself is a PITA but there are a few nice condos on Thappraya (on the baht bus route) at the top of the hill and they are building (maybe) another massive one there. Unixx, Axis, Treetops, Royal Hill.

7 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I agree Pratamnack itself is a PITA but there are a few nice condos on Thappraya (on the baht bus route) at the top of the hill and they are building (maybe) another massive one there. Unixx, Axis, Treetops, Royal Hill.

The better Thrappaya ones are already there and share the land between the road and the beach. Offering easy access directly to the latter.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The better Thrappaya ones are already there and share the land between the road and the beach. Offering easy access directly to the latter.

And, in some cases, better and closer seaviews--which is a big deal for me and others when looking for a condo at a beach town.  

50 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes OK if you want to live in Cell Block H with a 1 sqm balcony.

20 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Whenever i go to thailand i only book hotels that are walking distance to the bars. Krabi, Hua Hin, Phuket, Bangkok, Pattaya. Only taxi i use is too and from the airport.

Even a 5 min taxi ride for my entertainment is too long. 

If i lived there i would chose a place walking distance to my main entertainment area.

Edited by Sujo
  • Like 1

If you don't want to live in the middle of a big noisy open air brothel stay in Jomtien. After almost 30 years here in Central Pattaya I will move away. It is insane how many new bars are created here in the center of Pattaya. There is almost no place anymore without sex and often really extreme noise. And the government here seems to promote this development. So better Jomtien or Naklua if you are not a person that likes to participate in this often seedy entertainment world. This here in Central Pattaya is more a place for short-time tourists that are interested in booze and sex. And I doubt that this will change pretty soon. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

The View Talays on the beach side (3, 5, 7, and eight) actually have quite large balconies, as do others like Grand, and Cetus and Metro further south.  

Edited by newnative
typo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

About 70 baht......

if you mean Grab taxi , no way.  I can't even get from central mall to the Grand Avenue condos for that.

and if YOU can get there for 70, please share the app/service.

On 3/5/2021 at 9:11 AM, Henryford said:

Choose Pratamnack, the best of both worlds

Many years ago Pratumnak was the Beverly Hills of Pattaya.

The Nordic group has destroyed this once lovely area, all those horrible looking Orange buildings (They were offering their customers 10% rental guarantee, I heard they are not honoring this promise). Dozens of Big smelly busies transporting groups of people to horrible orange buildings causing traffic congestion, huge delays. This and the poor access in and out of Pratumnak, Theppraya can be bumper to bumper on weekends, sadly, its just not the same.

Look out when the Covid19 goes away the chaos will return.

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

Hey, that is what I call the place when I visit friends......

But are these places on top of the hill, and the other side of Thrappaya, going to be bigger.... newer ones rarely are?