Pattaya or Jomtien.. Why did you choose one over the other..

moontang

Took baht bus last night about 1 km to avoid the dog pack.. Handed the driver 10 thb, and he said F you!  I noticed previously, they were trying their hardest to keep the change from a twenty.  Seems like the rear springs are broken on about every one of them. 

Perhaps, a better question would be where to live if your two feet are your preferred mode of transport. 

Edited by moontang

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Grab went silly.

Agreed, but I think Bolt are too cheap to be sustainable for now.  I'd heard comments about drivers complaining (to customers) about the low rates and experienced it myself earlier this week. Once in several dozen trips is hardly anything, but I hope it doesn't get any more frequent.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, working hard to keep up the image of the songtaew driver.

I told him where I was going, just to simplify things, but still hit the buzzer on the main road... If he had simply stated whatever price he wanted when I mentioned the place, no complaints whatsoever.. Might have paid 30 to the hotel.  Another child, with a knife and a low IQ, in a (stunted growth) adult body.  It's a shame, my hotel is almost perfect.. but how could I possibly recommend a place where stray dog packs are of more value than western tourists. And almost no one in the transport business can be trusted.. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LALes said:

Its that type of Thai thinking that makes Pattaya the world class resort that it is.

Add the foreign criminals and you'd get a pretty good episode of Star Trek, assuming you could find some younger ladies. 

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yeah good luck with that and it won't be a 'little more'.....

Paying 150baht instead of 20baht , ok compared to the 20baht it's not a little more but C'mon 5euro or 6 dollars or whatever your own currency is , to get you home safe when your drunk is a little more to me . And drunk or sober 150baht to get home and don't need to drive is a good deal to me . Most countries the meter starts of with that price and haven't driven a mile . But ok this is my opinion and everybody should live or rent wherever they prever , for me those 15min drives are no problem bike or taxi or car . 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Sujo said:

Whenever i go to thailand i only book hotels that are walking distance to the bars. Krabi, Hua Hin, Phuket, Bangkok, Pattaya. Only taxi i use is too and from the airport.

Even a 5 min taxi ride for my entertainment is too long. 

If i lived there i would chose a place walking distance to my main entertainment area.

Most of the time when you live in walking distance of the entertainment area you will be kept awake by the loud music and everything that comes with it screaming drunk tourists and everything so it may be nice for holliday but to live it might be nicer to be just outside walking distance and within a 15min drive ???? but that's my opinion . 

10 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Paying 150baht instead of 20baht , ok compared to the 20baht it's not a little more but C'mon 5euro or 6 dollars or whatever your own currency is , to get you home safe when your drunk is a little more to me . And drunk or sober 150baht to get home and don't need to drive is a good deal to me . Most countries the meter starts of with that price and haven't driven a mile . But ok this is my opinion and everybody should live or rent wherever they prever , for me those 15min drives are no problem bike or taxi or car . 

I have been in Thailand a long time so perhaps do not compare with prices back home, nor in Timbuctoo much.... but guess what, if I was back in the UK all my travel on public transport would be free due to my age. But I do not deny it is reasonable  deal... but in reality I live a fair bit further than the trip from Pattaya to Jomtien... and used to pay 400 baht to get home (they never had change for the 500), more recently Bolt have reduced this to 200 baht. On odd occasions I book a hotel, well under 1000 baht these days, have a short walk ,and get that taxi the next morning. 

• Like 2

I always stayed in Fatamack, the russian market area between the two. It's kind of an in between quiet area, has a great beach. You can walk to jomtein down the sea promonade, or to the main street for red truck to pattaya beach. 

Used to live there 6 months or so, off and on.

I liked feeling part of both scenes and when I'm home I just want it quiet. I don't want anything going on right outside my door. Some of those sea view condos in that area are just like being on a quiet island location, so you have that.

I like crowds and partying also, I just don't want to have my residence around it.

Whatever you do don't goto fatamack mountain though. There are a lot of nice condos there, but you cant walk out on foot (theres a steep hill, no sidewalks, construction etc) or along the seashore and there is a taxi mafia up there that jacks prices way up. I walked into this <deleted> up area when looking for a place to check out the area first and never went back, glad I did.

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The fare is 10 though.

well, now I know.  But it wasn't posted anywhere and I don't speak Thai.  

All good though.  I step in an uber in USA and it starts at $5 usd . so 50 cents is ok by me ????

19 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Most of the time when you live in walking distance of the entertainment area you will be kept awake by the loud music and everything that comes with it screaming drunk tourists and everything . . . .

Utter nonsense.

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have been in Thailand a long time so perhaps do not compare with prices back home, nor in Timbuctoo much.... but guess what, if I was back in the UK all my travel on public transport would be free due to my age. But I do not deny it is reasonable  deal... but in reality I live a fair bit further than the trip from Pattaya to Jomtien... and used to pay 400 baht to get home (they never had change for the 500), more recently Bolt have reduced this to 200 baht. On odd occasions I book a hotel, well under 1000 baht these days, have a short walk ,and get that taxi the next morning. 

Ok if you live a fair bit further it's understandable , but this topic was about the choice between pattaya or jomtien .

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Utter nonsense.

Utter nonsense ?? Depends on what you consider a walking distance . If you have to walk 3 kilometers before you reach the entertainment area you also could have taken that 15min taxi ride . But ok i geuss everything someone else then you says is Utter nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Utter nonsense ?? Depends on what you consider a walking distance . If you have to walk 3 kilometers before you reach the entertainment area you also could have taken that 15min taxi ride .

You can be 5 minutes walk and not:

"be kept awake by the loud music and everything that comes with it screaming drunk tourists and everything".

Is that easier to understand?

3 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

If you have to walk 3 kilometers before you reach the entertainment area you also could have taken that 15min taxi ride .

"No problem. 3 kilo, 700 baht" say that taxi driver.   ????

9 hours ago, treetops said:

Utter nonsense.

You have no idea. If you live next to the entertainment areas you often have extreme noise. I have special windows with several centimetres glass (not only double glazing) and this is still not enough. If you move here and want to have it quiet then stay away from entertainment areas. But since here is no zoning there is never a guarantee that there might not be noisy bars next to your condo one day. Some years ago the area where I live was quiet like a graveyard. Today my condo is almost unusable despite expensive noise reducing measures. In this respect - it might be a better idea to rent and not to buy. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Ok if you live a fair bit further it's understandable , but this topic was about the choice between pattaya or jomtien .

And I know both places quite well. None of us live in both. 

2 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

??? Maybe go out in one area and live in the other one ??? Wisdom doesn't always come with age . 

I made the decision to live out of town some years ago. I had been in central Pattaya ....  I would not have chosen Jomtien.