Pattaya or Jomtien.. Why did you choose one over the other..

moontang

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

And when Bolt gets corrupted in the same way Grab did?

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Anyway we are back to the UK in a couple of weeks. Bolt started taking 25% of a very low fare at the end of January (it had been all the fare going to the drivers for the first 6 months) so we have always tipped well and taken the phone numbers of good drivers to hire directly for longer journeys. That said it has been fantastic to get good cars on demand cheaply anywhere in Pattaya rather than relying solely on the baht buses or getting into fruitless arguments with the taxi mafia over price. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Until then.... they are a great and well priced service. Hope they don't start delivering pizzas. 

They have grown the market arguably at the expense of baht buses and motorbike taxis. 

Edited by najomtiensun

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Until then.... they are a great and well priced service. Hope they don't start delivering pizzas. 

Yes, it would seem they are.  i haven't take a ride yet, but ran a couple of scenarios. 

I hope there are no Bolt driver beatings, stabbings or murders, or vehicle damage, by taxi mafia drivers.  

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, it would seem they are.  i haven't take a ride yet, but ran a couple of scenarios. 

I hope there are no Bolt driver beatings, stabbings or murders, or vehicle damage, by taxi mafia drivers.  

I have not heard of the Uber type problems as there were some years ago. And the cars I have called, well are actually regular taxis mostly. (Nearly all of them). 

On 3/19/2021 at 5:24 AM, jacko45k said:

I have not heard of the Uber type problems as there were some years ago. And the cars I have called, well are actually regular taxis mostly. (Nearly all of them). 

So, who's taking "the scam loss" the driver, or the transport mafia?  

Strange, because Bolt takes a percentage.  The drivers would make more if they operated as a proper metered taxi. 

I guess people don't even ask anymore for a metered journey, due to passed experiences, or common knowledge you are wasting your time even asking.  

Maybe it's karma for both the driver and the transport mafia.  ????

On 3/6/2021 at 10:47 AM, LALes said:

Well, you better stay away from Jomtien Soi 1-7 or you will regret it.  Bar noise and female cackling to rival anything in Pattaya.

Boom Boom trucks driving up and down still. Used to stay in Soi4 - felt I needed to wear a Motocrossers kidney belt to bed.

On 3/4/2021 at 6:05 PM, CygnusX1 said:

I bought a condo in Jomtien because a high floor beachfront condo in the centre of 

Jomtien (View Talay 5) was half the price of the equivalent in Pattaya (View Talay 6). No busy road to cross when I want a walk along the beach. Cheap, frequent baht bus outside the condo for when I need to go to Central Festival in Pattaya, and just have to cross the road to the airport bus. The little FoodMart across the road has a surprisingly good range of Western food. No noise from bars or clubs, way quieter than my Australian apartment where I’m now stranded.

I also prefer the narrower beach to the new super wide one in Pattaya, as I don’t want to trek across 50 yards of hot sand from under my shady tree to get to the water, not looking forward to the proposed beach widening at Jomtien.

Looking at VT 5 or 7. Rationale is I want to be on the beach but near things also - both seem to offer that. Comfortable with Jomtien.

So VT 5 doesn't have a gym? Assume Pattaya facing condos are North facing and thus don't get the afternoon sun. Likewise VT7 re North facing but I am concerned it is too close to the road that even staying on Pattaya side I will hear boom boom trucks all night.

I like to go to bed early and rise early for a beach walk in Jomtien - I can't stand noise in the night that stops me sleeping. Am I being unrealistic?

Any other drawbacks I should know about?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Looking at VT 5 or 7. Rationale is I want to be on the beach but near things also - both seem to offer that. Comfortable with Jomtien.

So VT 5 doesn't have a gym? Assume Pattaya facing condos are North facing and thus don't get the afternoon sun. Likewise VT7 re North facing but I am concerned it is too close to the road that even staying on Pattaya side I will hear boom boom trucks all night.

I like to go to bed early and rise early for a beach walk in Jomtien - I can't stand noise in the night that stops me sleeping. Am I being unrealistic?

My partner and I used to live at VT5C, south side, and VT7, north side and noise was not a problem for either--this was several years ago, though.  No gym as part of the project at either--the pool was the only amenity.  Limited garage parking assigned to only some of the units--we rented a garage parking space when we were at VT7.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

Has anyone here stayed at "Nirun Condo's"?

There are some great monthly rates $300-$400 USD, but seem too good to be true for a central walking location.

I have been fooled by pictures before, some are experts at it.

$400 equals over 12,000 baht.  Lots of nicer places to rent at that price point.  Try Hipflat  to give you some idea of what's available.  You can search by area and it usually has photos of the projects and lists the amenities.  For example, you could rent a newer 38sqm 1 bedroom at Centric Sea on the 30th floor for 10,000 baht a month.  3 pools, 3 gyms, 2 sky lounges, garage parking.  Just an example and lots available right now.  Good luck and happy hunting

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 4:12 PM, mokwit said:

Apologies for my late reply.

No, VT5D doesn’t have a gym, don’t think 5C has either. Wouldn’t take much to add one, just convert a few ground floor shops, would add some value to the condos.

Pattaya facing condos receive almost no sun at all, from my condo only in the late afternoon, just enough to enjoy seeing the sun set over the ocean on days when the air’s clear enough.

From my condo in 5D, closer to the beach end on a high floor, from the balcony I only hear distant traffic noise from the main road and occasional thwack of tennis balls, no boom boom trucks or bars. With doors closed, totally quiet at night, way quieter than the place I’m currently stuck in Australia.

One drawback is that the building doesn’t have fibre internet, only copper.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

There are some great monthly rates $300-$400 USD, but seem too good to be true for a central walking location.

I just sold my condo, and staying in a branded hotel and got a free room upgrade.. prime BKK location.  400 per night Inc.., with daily maid service and all utils.. 12000 per month.. Believe it... To buy this room as a studio would be 4 million, even now.  I would set a budget of 10k per month in Patts, and expect something similarly nice.. Patts is way more overbuilt than Silom, Siam, Sukhumvit, etc.. Land is quite a bit less, too.  The boss told me they were getting 1500 per night before the crisis.... Oh, and my deposit is 200 on the key card.. 

Edited by moontang

3 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Apologies for my late reply.

No, VT5D doesn’t have a gym, don’t think 5C has either. Wouldn’t take much to add one, just convert a few ground floor shops, would add some value to the condos.

Pattaya facing condos receive almost no sun at all, from my condo only in the late afternoon, just enough to enjoy seeing the sun set over the ocean on days when the air’s clear enough.

From my condo in 5D, closer to the beach end on a high floor, from the balcony I only hear distant traffic noise from the main road and occasional thwack of tennis balls, no boom boom trucks or bars. With doors closed, totally quiet at night, way quieter than the place I’m currently stuck in Australia.

One drawback is that the building doesn’t have fibre internet, only copper.

How much did you pay for it?

20 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

2.8 million baht, just a year before the China virus. I’d be lucky to sell it for half that now, if I could find a buyer at all. Fortunately I don’t need the money, annual condo fees are minimal, and my more liquid assets in Australia increase with every year that I’m unable to spend anything on travel.

I might have been stupid for buying it, but at least I did obey the dictum often repeated in this forum - “Never invest any more in Thailand than you can happily walk away from”.

If saving money is not a primary concern, why did you buy instead of rent?

21 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

Around 10 years ago I knew a guy who owned 2 units in Nirun, he lived in 1 of them and loved it.

Evenings he would visit the bars on the ground floor and talk about things that drunks talk about, there was the occasional fight and sadly the occasional guy that jumped from his balcony.

He paid around 500k Baht for each unit, I reckon they would be selling for half that price now. 

23 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

Nirun is a slum, i wouldn't stay there if you paid me. It's not even "central" quite a walk to Pattaya Klang or Soi Buakhao so you have to use a bike. The condos are cheap for a reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

2.8 million baht, just a year before the China virus. I’d be lucky to sell it for half that now, if I could find a buyer at all. Fortunately I don’t need the money, annual condo fees are minimal, and my more liquid assets in Australia increase with every year that I’m unable to spend anything on travel.

I might have been stupid for buying it, but at least I did obey the dictum often repeated in this forum - “Never invest any more in Thailand than you can happily walk away from”.

2.8 million was a good price (for 45 sqm?). As newnative says above VT5 is the best location in Jomtien, maybe the best in all of the Pattaya area. Certainly for those who don't need the bar scene every night. A great place for you to return to, when Covid is over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Henryford said:

2.8 million was a good price (for 45 sqm?).

48 sq m including balcony, single large studio, a layout that suits me a lot more than my 35 sq m 1 bedroom flat in Australia.

Thanks to you and newnative for your kind comments on VT5, also for your optimism that things will eventually get back to normal, hope that’s within my lifetime.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

Nirun is a slum, i wouldn't stay there if you paid me. It's not even "central" quite a walk to Pattaya Klang or Soi Buakhao so you have to use a bike. The condos are cheap for a reason.

Nirun may be a bit grubby round the edges, but has everything you need at your fingertips, and as long as you're in a decently refurbished unit living there is fine.  Bolt taxi to Soi Buakhow < 40 baht.  Walking Street < 60 baht.  Too steep for you?

On 4/2/2021 at 7:57 PM, Henryford said:

What specific buildings do you recommend in the walking distance (15-20 minutes) central area?

I don't want to be in a place with cockroaches, chickens, fleas or stained mattresses.

Edited by DerbyDan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On my previous trips to Pattaya we have always stayed at Jomtien which we like, but almost every day end up on the baht bus for shopping, eating etc so this trip in a few weeks time will try central Pattaya.

Been looking online and AirBnB had some very cheap condo deals. One in particular that caught my eye is The Base. It seems perfectly located for everything; anyone have experience of this condo?