Video: It's all smiles as cop lets six students on two motorcycles do exercises instead of a fine - but the carnage continues

webfact

On 3/3/2021 at 5:28 PM, PJPom said:

Just look at any School at home time, maybe 5% wear helmets and as for the Teachers I have yet to see one, fancy uniforms with medal ribbons, but helmet , no.
Strict enforcement by Police will not happen,  too dangerous , try living in a village where you have fined everybody 500 baht, do you really think they would survive ?.

Education is the only way but I am certain we will all be gone before anyone with the ability to influence the powers that be appears.

usual simple answer, this is Thailand .

it worked in Vietnam  !

17 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

There is a financial element to all of this.

Helmet- expensive!

Fine - expensive. The policeman probably did this because none of them had the money for the fine (500 baht - 50 baht for Thais).

Easy to laugh. Walk in their shoes for one day.

maybe they should be made to walk in their shoes if no money

confiscate the bikes till fines paid, hit them where it hurts, then maybe they will learn

Many school children go to school each day with 60 to 100 baht  day spending money , so no excuse 

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

A lot of the time there is no alternative. I used to walk about 4 miles to school, and the same home every day. I admit it was not as hot as here, but the Government could do a lot more by providing SAFE, RELIABLE, and PLENTIFUL school transport to service villages and outlying areas. We all know it will not happen as it would eat into the local officials Mia Noi budgets to much.

There is of course the education on wearing helmets too. If they Have to ride on the bikes then drum into their heads the need to wear a helmet. Fine the parents a few baht each time, maybe the message will get through...........maybe...........one day.........

bicycles , not an option ?

why do they need expensive and deadly motorbikes to go to school ?

as kids, we used bikes if no busses, 

start showing not just the pulped bodies, but also the permanent disfigurements after accidents, especially on the girls, who pride themselves on their looks  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Unfortunately this is Thailand and a vast number DON'T have the money, meaning it will never be collected by what even means they would like to use. 

Then if they cannot, or will not pay, then they lose the bike

im sure they will soon learn to pay up, or obey the laws, just like in any country

As for no money, i have a shop opposite a school, and the children and parents have no problem with spending good money each day, so many are  not short of money

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Just as the western view of curing the problems of Thailand is an illusion from the comfort of the bar stool or the gated community  where everything is perfect, along with depriving them of possibly the only transport they have and forcing people further into debt. Granted not everyone fits into this group, but many many do. 

motorbikes are expensive for most families, but bicycles for children are cheap, so no excuse

They have no problems showing face with the latest pick up, or new bike, but then complain about the price of a cheap helmet ?

I notice this police Captain has at least 20 pieces of rank pips, collar badges and other bits hanging on his shirt... why ?

Certainly an example to all the other police in Thailand.. not ! Take the kids names and addresses, confiscate the bikes , inform the school that they will be late as they will be waiting for their parents to explain why they are riding without helmets, three on a bike and show the police the bike tax, insurance and the kids licences !! Hopefully his boss will be having a word with him and perhaps a move to an inactive post .

33 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

maybe they should be made to walk in their shoes if no money

confiscate the bikes till fines paid, hit them where it hurts, then maybe they will learn

Many school children go to school each day with 60 to 100 baht  day spending money , so no excuse 

And many don't go to school with 60 to 100 baht in their pocket, especially those who father might earn 300 / 350 baht day on a building site. 

Seems there are many people posting here don't really have a clue of what happens outside of their gilded tower. 

I've taught kids at university who had less than a 100 day for 3 meals, with others supported with a 20/30 day for their lunch courtesy of a fund supported by the lecturers. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Artisi said:

And many don't go to school with 60 to 100 baht in their pocket, especially those who father might earn 300 / 350 baht day on a building site. 

Seems there are many people posting here don't really have a clue of what happens outside of their gilded tower. 

I've taught kids at university who had less than a 100 day for 3 meals, with others supported with a 20/30 day for their lunch courtesy of a fund supported by the lecturers. 

looks like im in the wrong villages then, cos many children spend 40 to 60 baht every day in our shop, and still have money for dinner sessions and drinks, with many spending much more

i know many students in the next village who think 60 baht a day to take to school is not enough , who want minimum of 100 baht

Am i in a gilded tower, living in a village in isaan , where people live in basic houses, yet still drive decent cars and bikes, even though they pay monthly. Am i one who has no clue, , yet see the same children spending every day, while riding their motorbikes to school,