Songkran in Thailand to go ahead next month - with some water splashing

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, WhatsNext said:

One day of agressive <deleted> for a celebration is already a crazy notion, let alone 3 to 9 days. You might like having to think about what to wear, get your goggles, protective case for your phone, money, make sure you keep smiling when some idiot throws dirty cold water with ice in your face and let's hope you don't get an eye or ear infection or worse. Don't drive a motorbike and if you want to keep your car clean, forget that as well.

All other 194 countries in the world don't do this, maybe Thailand is a little crazy ? And yeah you can have some critism to society if you live here and contribute. Songkran is dangerous nonsense. 

Maybe it would be wise of you just to stay home for a week . If you don't like it just stay in . What about the annual festivities in your homecountry ?? What would you say to a foreigner in your own country if by example they wouldn't like your new years celebration or whatever celebrations are going on there . Don't forget the celbration in Imdia with all the colored powder etc , Thailand is not the only country celebrating in a sttange way . Some love it , some hate it , deal with it . 

• Sad 1

Guest Harm Hendrik Reitsma
14 hours ago, anchadian said:

Remember to keep your distance and wear those masks.

Also drive carefully over that long holiday.

That will not help when water splashes....and wash hands with soap will.

Khosan is rocking and rolling so it should be a ball. I guess they can hire extras, like all those who were working the hotels and guest houses and, who now, have no employment. The spirit of the event may also be in quarantine.

44 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

If you don't like the festivities do your shopping before and stay home nobody tells you to come out during these days . You know there is 1 week a year of this and then you will not see it for another year . If you can't stand that you shouldn't have come to this country in the first place , it's their new years celebration .

If any farang who I don't know throws any water at me, he had better have good health insurance.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, law ling said:

I usually just left the country for a week or two during this festival of state-sanctioned bastardry - unfortunately that's not an option now.

By all means limit it to defined areas (which I could avoid) - but there is nothing "fun" about having a bucket of (dirty) water thrown over you as you try and get home with your shopping.

Season of eye infections 

57 minutes ago, Aomelia said:
16 hours ago, Moonlover said:

What are you talking about?

58 minutes ago, Aomelia said:

Clueless much , you do know statistics for Songkran , Right 

This is, primarily a discourse between myself and fishtank. (who has not yet responded) 

However, as you wish butt in please explain what you mean by 'statistics for Songkran'.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:
16 hours ago, Moonlover said:

What are you talking about?

3 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Maybe he is talking about road carnage??

Well if he is, then he's been fooled by a misconception, that being the great myth of 7 dangerous days. I've been here 7 years now and observed the figures for these periods every year. And I along with many others, have come come to the conclusion, that there is little difference between the daily death toll during these holidays and the rest of the year. In fact on occasions they've  even been seen to go down a bit.

'The 7 dangerous days' are a complete fallacy.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

If you don't like the festivities do your shopping before and stay home nobody tells you to come out during these days . You know there is 1 week a year of this and then you will not see it for another year . If you can't stand that you shouldn't have come to this country in the first place , it's their new years celebration .

So what about all the massive celebrations for the 'New Year' that the rest of the world enjoys ? That's our New Year not a Thai one, or the Chinese New Year ? they also have massive celebrations for that & then blow me down they have their own New Year, greedy buggars, ???????? 

And yes I'm well aware that many are of Chinese descent, the point you made was it's their new year if you don't like you shouldn't have moved here, well leave the western one to us and if they want to celebrate the Chinese one go to China ????????????????

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comment removed

5 hours ago, WhatsNext said:

One day of agressive <deleted> for a celebration is already a crazy notion, let alone 3 to 9 days. You might like having to think about what to wear, get your goggles, protective case for your phone, money, make sure you keep smiling when some idiot throws dirty cold water with ice in your face and let's hope you don't get an eye or ear infection or worse. Don't drive a motorbike and if you want to keep your car clean, forget that as well.

All other 194 countries in the world don't do this, maybe Thailand is a little crazy ? And yeah you can have some critism to society if you live here and contribute. Songkran is dangerous nonsense. 

Many of us love the bit of craziness here. When I lived in the US, I was bored to death with the same same, and awful predictability of life back there. Embrace it. Thais are full of joy. Let it infect you heart and soul. Songkran is great fun. Especially the wet t-shirts! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Rio de Janeiro Carnival

CANCELLED 

New Orleans Mardi Gras

CANCELLED

Songkran water wars in Thailand 

PRICELESS

Maybe you could add the figures of the covid deaths in Rio and New orleans, compared with the whole of Thailand.

That would make your comment even more priceless baseless

Edited by Susco

54 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Do you actually believe those numbers?

In any case here the point is to PREVENT a major outbreak given that Thailand is so

Incredibly SLOW In its vaccination program. In all seriousness Songkran 2022 maybe. Songkran 2021 insanity.

Thailand has been closed to foreign arrivals for almost a year now, so where would the outbreak come from? I doubt it is spread by pigeons who may fly in from neighbouring countries.

Thai people are in close contact all year, so what's the difference with Songkran?

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comments removed

46 minutes ago, Susco said:

Thailand has been closed to foreign arrivals for almost a year now, so where would the outbreak come from? I doubt it is spread by pigeons who may fly in from neighbouring countries.

Thai people are in close contact all year, so what's the difference with Songkran?

Heard of Myanmar?

• Haha 2