insurance if motorbike license is expired 5 months

my dad drives his motorbike in pattaya but his thai motorbike driving license is expired 5 months ago because he could not renew it because corona if he has an accident will his insurance pay if his license is expired??

thanks

rick

It may or it may not... It depends on the insurance. 

IF your father has an accident with another vehicle and is deemed at fault... 

If your father has 1st Class insurance, it will either pay up for repairs to that vehicle or claim your father was riding without a license and the insurance is void. 

If your father just has the compulsory por-ror-bor insurance is a different matter. 

I’m not sure if the Por-Ror-Bor even covers damage to other vehicles, in which case the insurance (or owner) of the other vehicle could file a claim against your father for damages. 

Best option: 

Get 1st Class insurance (even on a scooter) many don’t, but its a good idea. 

Get the licence renewed soon to avoid hassles, its easy enough to do. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that it's the vehicle that's covered not the individual, whatever level of insurance that you have, license doesn't come into it.

I had an 1 vehicle/animal accident on the wife's m/c with no m/c license landed in hospital for 10 days and the por-ror-bor paid out for some of my medical expenses. 

Why should Insurance be paid out, if one is unLicenced riding?? 

Just like if an unlicenced rider hits and hurts a 3rd party, the 2Million or whatever Cover doesn't exist, and the unlicenced rider should pay for the other person injuries out of his own pocket,. being now personally liable. 

• Haha 1

"will his insurance pay." ---hahaha. sorry, ahm, you MUST read the policy wording. That's the full document that goes over all that is, and is not covered. It's a long read. 

btw. regarding licenses, they have started up again the past few weeks. So it's possible to renew the license again. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

My understanding is that it's the vehicle that's covered not the individual, whatever level of insurance that you have, license doesn't come into it.

I had an 1 vehicle/animal accident on the wife's m/c with no m/c license landed in hospital for 10 days and the por-ror-bor paid out for some of my medical expenses. 

That only applies to compulsory CTPL insurance and is not as bad as many think.

Not funny but if the accident is not your fault it's a better pay out. ????

1st class insurance on a motorbike if it's possible to get it will find anything to stop paying out if they can, no DL would be one of them.

Some Thais don't even bother with CTPL and maybe if they do get stopped just pay the fine it's cheaper taking a chance.

I have only CTPL because insurance companies won't insure my old bike 1st class, 2nd class, just thief only, nowt.

Thai Insurance companies are  weird.

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That only applies to compulsory CTPL insurance and is not as bad as many think.

Not funny but if the accident is not your fault it's a better pay out. ????

1st class insurance on a motorbike if it's possible to get it will find anything to stop paying out if they can, no DL would be one of them.

Some Thais don't even bother with CTPL and maybe if they do get stopped just pay the fine it's cheaper taking a chance.

I have only CTPL because insurance companies won't insure my old bike 1st class, 2nd class, just thief only, nowt.

Thai Insurance companies are  weird.

Maybe they treat motorbikes different from cars, my sister-in-law was driving my car and had a minor accident, the insurance paid out without a qualm.

1 hour ago, foreverlomsak said:

Maybe they treat motorbikes different from cars, my sister-in-law was driving my car and had a minor accident, the insurance paid out without a qualm.

I no doubt it when I had 1st class insurance on my first truck and had an accident, it was my fault but they paid up no problem. 

They wanted 28,000 baht for renewal the following year. ????

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I no doubt it when I had 1st class insurance on my first truck and had an accident, it was my fault but they paid up no problem. 

They wanted 28,000 baht for renewal the following year. ????

unlucky I was only 18,000 but both cars were basically just damaged wings.

• Like 2