94 Year Old Father Moving to Thailand

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Have backups! Consider maintaining a fake U.S. identify. He could also switch to an expat friendly firm like State Department Federal Credit Union. If he's a veteran there is a military oriented credit union  that is expat friendly. But don't have too many backups either as then things get too complicated.

Will check that bank. How is it better than Chase or Citibank? They are less likely to close an expat's account? 

OK, will set up a USA mailbox service. I already have one that's very reliable. And, I have two USA numbers (Google Voice and Skype). If some madness went down with a US bank, could hire a US attorney to fix things or close account and move funds.

I know that some banks don't accept virtual phone numbers, so I got an RSA device from Wells Fargo as an alternative to OTP to mobile. Wasn't easy. 

I wonder if I can get a US phone number that works with banks. Lots of issues. Will start organizing issues with an app. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

Will check that bank. How is it better than Chase or Citibank?

Expect they, like USAA accept foreign address as users lived internationally and often retire overseas and will mail cards and such - many US banks will not sent cards or checks outside USA or APO address.

28 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

I wonder if I can get a US phone number that works with banks. Lots of issues. Will start organizing issues with an app. 

you can roam in Thailand on a USA number. T-Mobile prepaid $3 a month roams here perfectly. I use it to get One Time Passwords required by US Banks. You must change all your banks to this phone number in person at the bank before you leave. Renew your passport and drivers license before you leave.

*****do not use bank of america*****

Bring the SIM card to Thailand, put it in a cheap phone here and don't carry it with you. lock it up.  

US Global Mail . com for mail forwarding. 

Bangkok Bank as your first bank in Thailand. 

7 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

you can roam in Thailand on a USA number. T-Mobile prepaid $3 a month roams here perfectly. I use it to get One Time Passwords required by US Banks. You must change all your banks to this phone number in person at the bank before you leave. Renew your passport and drivers license before you leave.

*****do not use bank of america*****

I have a B of A account. How is it risky? Thank you for detailed info. 

I have heard of others doing this and have it work well... the cost of help, as you know is minimal compared to USA... so, they get much better care for the money.

I am not sure where you are located but in CM area there are a couple of excellent facilities. If you want live-in caregivers I also probably know a few country-ladies who would be excellent. 

As to banking, my bank in USA is fine and handles plenty for me... the issue I have had is with an investment account who could no longer keep me as a client since I do not have a physical permanent address. I do have an in C/O address that works for the bank...

Feel free to PM if you need specific names or more info.. 

Why not find a friend or someone who would be willing to accompany your father on a first class trip and one week accommodations (after the quarantine)?  This might be cheaper than going back and forth.  Whatever you do, make sure he travels first class or he might not make it over.  I did this for an elderly gent with stage four and the staff were very helpful.  He died two weeks later but at least he was surrounded by family.

12 hours ago, kokesaat said:

An American friend of mine (now deceased) brought his 90ish year-old mother over for a short annual vacation in the late 90's.  By the early 2000's, with her health declining and dementia setting in, he brought her over to live full time.  I don't know how he arranged that with immigration.  He and his wife took care of the mother in their home for a year or two, then set her up in a private hospital room with a full time attending ?student? nurse.  My friend told me that the mother's social security check pretty much covered the hospital costs.  

I'd suggest calling the Thai Embassy in DC......ask for Khun Pattanan.  She's up on the rules and has been extremely helpful in our attempting to return (for the fourth time since last year).  

You might consider contacting 

Care Resort Chiang Mai
43/1 Moo 6 Mae Rim-Samoeng Road, Chang Mai, 50180, Thailand
Telephone: 66(0) 53044097
Fax: 66(0) 53044096

Email: [email protected]
     or:  [email protected]

or one of the other care facilities in Chiangmai that cater to elderly expats.

Having lived in Thailand for the past 24 years (minus a covid year) and having seen up close the conditions of elderly care in the US (especially during this covid crisis), there's no doubt in my mind that I'd prefer the care available in Thailand.  You'll pay for it, but then, it's not free in the US.

Good luck on your journey

I have visited that care resort in Mae Rim. I can vouch for it! I have stayed there as a tourist three or four times and spoken to quite a few of the residents there. It is extremely nice there with full time care and attention when needed. The details above will be enough for you to get ready information and details of anything you need to know. One of the residents there from UK is 95 and we had long chats with her about her life at the resort. All accommodation is in detached houses of various sizes.

17 hours ago, Ebumbu said:

He can pay out of pocket as needed. Has savings. 

For the currently required health insurance you could expect to pay well over 200,000 THB for one years worth of insurance that pays up to 400,000 THB for in patient hospital care and 40,000 for out patient care.  Then, at his age it is very likely any claim would be denied with the reason being due to existing conditions.  Most likely the authorities might even nix such a move.

1 minute ago, dlclark97 said:

For the currently required health insurance you could expect to pay well over 200,000 THB for one years worth of insurance that pays up to 400,000 THB for in patient hospital care and 40,000 for out patient care.  Then, at his age it is very likely any claim would be denied with the reason being due to existing conditions.  Most likely the authorities might even nix such a move.

I'm getting a clear message that we need to go for Type O, not O-A, or Elite. Good info. 

The elephant in the room is the risk of a lengthy period of hospitalization under intensive care. The cost of that can be extensive. Years ago the ball-park figure for self-insurance covering something like that happening was about $150k. 

If he comes on an OA visit he will have to have Thai approved insurance to do a renewal, better if he just comes on a tourist visa or visit exempt and go to Immigration and Get an O visa which will not require insurance

5 minutes ago, flexomike said:

If he comes on an OA visit he will have to have Thai approved insurance to do a renewal, better if he just comes on a tourist visa or visit exempt and go to Immigration and Get an O visa which will not require insurance

Are offices still doing such conversations in the  current pandemic environment? Its hard to keep up with all the changes.

35 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The elephant in the room is the risk of a lengthy period of hospitalization under intensive care. The cost of that can be extensive. Years ago the ball-park figure for self-insurance covering something like that happening was about $150k. 

Also good info. But, the consensus seems to be that he can't get insurance here. Agree? 

23 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

Also good info. But, the consensus seems to be that he can't get insurance here. Agree? 

He definitely cannot get a policy from a Thai company. He can get an international company expat policy that will cover him in Thailand, with direct payment of Thai hospitals, though only a few options at his age. Cigna Global (Silver Plan or Close Care) will be the least expensive. Contact AA brokers <aainsure.net> for more info. If you want you can go to the Cigna Global website and get a quote there but be forewarned - do nto put your real phone number or you will be inundated with sales people calling you. Just put in a string of 0's or the like. You can see rates under a variety of deductible and copay scenarios. However I strongly recommend to arrange purchase through a broker so that they can help with any claims issues. Cigna Global is a reputable insurer but their customer service is chaotic and disorganized, so broker assistance is a real plus.

I would hope at his age that he has an Advance Directive and Health Care POA and would not be put into an ICU under any circumstance. People that old do not do well in ICUs to put it very, very mildly (and I speak as a former ICU nurse).

However he could certainly need hospital care, even surgery,  for injuries or illnesses that adversely affect his quality of life - a broken hip or other fracture, for example.  If hospitalized doctors should at once be made aware of the Advanced Directive.

18 hours ago, Ebumbu said:

He has medicare. Is this enough? I rather doubt private insurance is going to cover Thailand, as a previous poster said. Can try. Maybe travel insurance for starters? I am at the beginning of my journey now, so getting TV experts opinions. 

Medicare doesn't cover you out of the US

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

If he will have live in support, there is no reason why he cannot visit a local bank branch rather than trying to learn online banking. He will almost certainly find the staff at the bank very patient and friendly with someone of his age. The attitude of Thais towards the elderly is one of the reasons why I think it is suitable for retirees as they decline physically and mentally.

At 94 with dementia (which will only progress) I would not count on him being able to continue to do his own banking much longer. Best that OP get POA or change his accounts to joint ones with his name added. Either will allow him to do his dad's banking for him. Obviously, let him keep doing his own while he can, but have things in place for when he can't.

Tourist visa then agent to arrange  O visa...Find a good agent before you go to the states and get all the details etc . I use a law firm that has a lawyer who handles all  their immigration business they handle a lot of aging expat immigration and estate business. 

Elite visa is non refundable and minimum five years . If your father lasts more than 5 years you have to pay again. If he doesn't the 500,000 is gone. 

My mother just turned 100 but as my brother says she is a statistical anomaly.  But some people   just defy the odds. (  FYI my mother is in Canada just so I haven't confused you)

You should also do the paper work to have POA for all his financial stuff etc when your in the US  so if you have to take over you can.

I haven't read all the replies so I'm probably just repeating what others have said.  Goodluck if you are in Chiang mai there is the Care places and good legal/immigration resources.

3 hours ago, Ebumbu said:

Will check that bank. How is it better than Chase or Citibank? They are less likely to close an expat's account? 

OK, will set up a USA mailbox service. I already have one that's very reliable. And, I have two USA numbers (Google Voice and Skype). If some madness went down with a US bank, could hire a US attorney to fix things or close account and move funds.

I know that some banks don't accept virtual phone numbers, so I got an RSA device from Wells Fargo as an alternative to OTP to mobile. Wasn't easy. 

Chase and Citibank are very expat un-friendly. in fact Citibank is now cancelling credit cards oif people with overseas addresses starting this April.

USAA is an excellent choice if he qualifies (must be a Veteran, length and place of service doesn't matter). Expat-friendly and excellent customer service, none of it as far as I can tell farmed out to  overseas call centers. You get a real, American, human on each call. And there is a toll free number to call from Thailand.

If he does nto qualify for USAA then maybe Capitol One.

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Chase and Citibank are very expat un-friendly. in fact Citibank is now cancelling credit cards oif people with overseas addresses starting this April.

USAA is an excellent choice if he qualifies (must be a Veteran, length and place of service doesn't matter). Expat-friendly and excellent customer service, none of it as far as I can tell farmed out to  overseas call centers. You get a real, American, human on each call. And there is a toll free number to call from Thailand.

If he does nto qualify for USAA then maybe Capitol One.

Yeah, Chase kicked me to the curb. 

Then there is always State Department Federal Credit Union which allows expats to open accounts with passports, foreign addresses, and already living abroad. I've found them kind of quirky but it's good to have an option if too many backups fail over time.

P.S. Re American TV, get USTVnow.  https://www.ustvnow.com/

He'll be able to see both current US TV and classic reruns. Works on comoputer which you can hook up to TV via HDMI. Also supposed to work on smart TVs but doesn't on mine.

My father (now deceased) had Alzheimers. One of his favorite things to do was sit and watch Seinfeld reruns. And owing to his lack of short term memory he could watch the same one infinite times without getting bored. (Those in the room with him would get pretty bored, though....!)

He also loved to listen to his favorite songs/music and likewise, could happily hear the same thing over & over. So be sure to bring over or order all his favorites.

These days with online shopping and internet etc, can create a good facsimile of US household life for an older person pretty easily.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, Chase kicked me to the curb. 

Then there is always State Department Federal Credit Union which allows expats to open accounts with passports, foreign addresses, and already living abroad. I've found them kind of quirky but it's good to have an option if to many backups fail over time.

I believe SDFU is limited to people with certain past or present work affiliations?

Just now, Sheryl said:

I believe SDFU is limited to people with certain past or present work affiliations?

Happily no! All you have to do is "join" a lightweight consumer group for a one time fee of five dollars, and you're in like Flint.

Archived