Pattaya: German pensioner charged with negligent riding and going through red light - Russian woman in hospital

webfact

Pattaya: German pensioner charged with negligent riding and going through red light - Russian woman in hospital

2pm.jpg
Picture: The Pattaya News

The Pattaya News reported that two foreigners were involved in a collision at the intersection of Pattaya Klang Road and Sai 3.

Witnesses told police that a man on a motorcycle heading towards south Pattaya had gone through a red light and collided with a woman on another motorcycle heading towards the beach.

2pm1.jpg
Picture: The Pattaya News

Russian lady Olika D., aged 50, was treated at the scene for serious injuries including a dislocation and then taken to Pattaya Memorial Hospital.

Sixty four year old German national Ferrer I.J. who was apparently uninjured was detained by the Muang Pattaya police and charged with negligent driving, causing injury and mental grief and going through a red light. 

Names in this article are transliterated from Thai script and may be incorrect. 

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

Would a Thai be  charged the same , i doubt it and i have never heard of this mental grief thing ever before .

You probably have heard it before but as a non Thai speaker you would not have understood what they were saying? 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:
Russian lady Olika D., aged 50, was treated at the scene for serious injuries

Sixty four year old German national Ferrer I.J. who was apparently uninjured

WOW, in Pattaya.

I reckon he's still holding a grudge for losing the war to the Russians 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

It should be mandatory that old aged pensioners should have their eyes & reaction times tested  before being allowed to operate a vehicle out here. 
If he was under the influence, then i have absolutely no sympathy for him what so ever... :coffee1:

maybe he not even have license 

8 hours ago, keith101 said:

Would a Thai be  charged the same , i doubt it and i have never heard of this mental grief thing ever before .

Maybe only Russian women suffer from it? An expert opinion would no doubt appear soon

2 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

It should be mandatory that old aged pensioners should have their eyes & reaction times tested  before being allowed to operate a vehicle out here. 
If he was under the influence, then i have absolutely no sympathy for him what so ever... :coffee1:

have you seen the eye and reaction tests at the Transport office? 

Only when cameras are fitted will people stop running red lights, so that's 5-10 years away

9 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Good, he should know better

Or maybe she should have known better. Maybe she is pretty new to the Thai scene and doesn't know she needs to wait a little while at green till all the red devils are gone.????

10 hours ago, keith101 said:

Driving underage, no license, 3 on a bike, no helmet = 10 squat and back on bike riding away...

Meted out nothing less than a traffic police captain!!

Local news hero of the day!!

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

have you seen the eye and reaction tests at the Transport office? 

Only when cameras are fitted will people stop running red lights, so that's 5-10 years away

Under the topic "be careful what you wish for" it could be solved in 5 minutes, along with a healthy boost in police revenue...  Post a cop at each corner and stop and fine everyone who runs a red light.  Worked back home decades before they even had red light cameras.  Only had to do it one or 2 days a month before the public learned...

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe all people that hurt others on the road leading to hospitalization should be kept in prison until they pay ALL their victims hospital bills !

That sounds good, right up until it's you or your loved one in the gaol.  For weeks or months on end, because sometimes that's how long it takes to figure out how much any long term care will cost. 

And if they're making 300 baht a day, how long before they can pay off a 500,000 baht hospital bill- especially if they're in prison and can't even make 300 baht?  A life sentence for a second of distraction?  Prison time is for deliberate crimes, with intent.  Not for accidents.

Personally, I had a ton of insurance, including cover for bail money.  But it cost me more than many Thai people can possibly afford.

Edited by impulse