Pattaya: German pensioner charged with negligent riding and going through red light - Russian woman in hospital

webfact

14 hours ago, anchadian said:

Only a published report due to it being a foreigner.

Jail time for the German no doubt.  If the accused was a Thai, a small fine would be imposed.

Or press ups at the road side

7 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

It should be mandatory that old aged pensioners should have their eyes & reaction times tested  before being allowed to operate a vehicle out here. 
If he was under the influence, then i have absolutely no sympathy for him what so ever... :coffee1:

So do you have a Thai licence ? If so you would know that as basic as it is, colour blindness, depth perception, reaction times are checked on the day you go, what tests you get depends on what mood the little Hitler is on the day, finally how long have you been driving (a) here, (b) your life ? I've had a licence here in excess of 10 years and have been driving worldwide since 1970. :coffee1:

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, anchadian said:

Only a published report due to it being a foreigner.

Jail time for the German no doubt.  If the accused was a Thai, a small fine would be imposed.

Do you think that there would be any interest in this at all if a foreigner wasn't involved? 

This is a news article on a forum aimed at foreigners in Thailand....

I'm sure the German will escape jail with a relatively small fine*

*Small in comparison to his (I'm guessing here) wealth and the implications of 

this happening in his home country.

• Like 1

13 years ago, I took it as - you are a guest in LOS and follow how “they” do things

but after traveling & working in other countries these past 12 years...

any country where locals are never at fault if involved with a foreigner is not a country i label as a non 3rd world country.   These double standards and corruption way of addressing situations occur usually in 3rd world countries. 

I use to give thailand a pass and followed along and “stated/thought” - I am a guest in their country.  However they do things is as is.  But, after being in other neighboring counties and many other countries for that matter, no - the way thai’s and thailand handle things are really not ok.  

15 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Did he start shouting at everyone that they are all idiots?

On the other hand and I am not making excuses, but there are times when the sun is at an angle that you cannot see the red light.

Stop buying those 100 baht sunglasses. 

4 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:
9 hours ago, zenobit said:

Ferrer I. J. doesn't sound for me like a german name. ????

Alexander Zverev, Andrea Petkovic,Peter Gojowczyk

what about those names?

Australian

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, thenewgoo said:

Now it seems even Germans are making Thai roads dangerous. What's the world coming to?!

They have had their share of causing accidents driving under the influence. 

9 hours ago, impulse said:

Post a cop at each corner and stop and fine everyone who runs a red light. 

Pattaya Plod do not go out when it's sunny; or raining; at weekends; after dark; before 10am; after 3pm.

Chonburi has one of the worst records for road kill.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

So do you have a Thai licence ? If so you would know that as basic as it is, colour blindness, depth perception, reaction times are checked on the day you go, what tests you get depends on what mood the little Hitler is on the day, finally how long have you been driving (a) here, (b) your life ? I've had a licence here in excess of 10 years and have been driving worldwide since 1970. :coffee1:

Yes i have a Thai licence. 

I've been driving here for 9 years. Never has a licence in my home country, but i'd consider myself as being a pretty decent driver. 

I had to complete a color blind test and reaction test, which i passed with flying colors. My reaction time was the best in the group of 15 people. 

Being sharp and healthy is important for all aspects of life.

When the time comes & i feel my reaction times are too slow in order for me to drive, i will hang up my keys because i don't want to be irresponsible  and endanger the lives of others. 

18 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe all people that hurt others on the road leading to hospitalization should be kept in prison until they pay ALL their victims hospital bills !

Yes, but only if the people that hurt others are 100% to blame. If I am riding my motorbike and someone sudddenly walks out in front of me and I cannot stop in time and they are hurt, there is no way I will be paying any hospital bills, prison or not.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hoopsandyoyo said:

13 years ago, I took it as - you are a guest in LOS and follow how “they” do things

but after traveling & working in other countries these past 12 years...

any country where locals are never at fault if involved with a foreigner is not a country i label as a non 3rd world country.   These double standards and corruption way of addressing situations occur usually in 3rd world countries. 

I use to give thailand a pass and followed along and “stated/thought” - I am a guest in their country.  However they do things is as is.  But, after being in other neighboring counties and many other countries for that matter, no - the way thai’s and thailand handle things are really not ok.  

"I am a guest in their country." Really!! How long have you been here?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Too flaming right,if my daughter was maimed for life and needed expensive care all her life i'd be quite happy to see the perp rot

So would I, as long as the perp was 100% to blame and there was no blame whatsoever on your daughter.

19 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

It should be mandatory that old aged pensioners should have their eyes & reaction times tested  before being allowed to operate a vehicle out here. 
If he was under the influence, then i have absolutely no sympathy for him what so ever... :coffee1:

And one day you will be 64.

Just now, markeewan said:

And one day you will be 64.

Exactly, that's why i stated in my latest comment that once i get to a certain age and i no longer feel sharp enough to drive, then that will be the day i hang up my keys. 
no point in risking other peoples lives due to old age. 

1 hour ago, Kaopad999 said:

Exactly, that's why i stated in my latest comment that once i get to a certain age and i no longer feel sharp enough to drive, then that will be the day i hang up my keys. 
no point in risking other peoples lives due to old age. 

I think that at 64 you will still be pretty sharp, no worries there.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, but only if the people that hurt others are 100% to blame. If I am riding my motorbike and someone sudddenly walks out in front of me and I cannot stop in time and they are hurt, there is no way I will be paying any hospital bills, prison or not.

you  might change your tune IF you did collide with anyone and Police put you in clink

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Old Aged Pensioner at 64?

12 hours ago, hoopsandyoyo said:

any country where locals are never at fault if involved with a foreigner is not a country i label as a non 3rd world country.   These double standards

Read that in some hack tourist book written by a backpacker years ago? Been many accounts here of Thai - farang accidents where the police put the blame squarely on the Thai when warranted.

Furthermore, there is the Thai custom of the rich needing to shell out some merciful compensation for the poorer irrespective of blame. Paranoid farangs misinterpret this as xenophobia, of course, though it's also applied to Thais. Something of the same principle is shown by the common expectation that the richest pays the entire dinner bill for a group. Again, members of the TVF Professional Victims brigade think that it's ONLY another way to take advantage of and cheat farangs for being farangs.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Furthermore, there is the Thai custom of the rich needing to shell out some merciful compensation for the poorer irrespective of blame.

Or any policeman involved arranging his cut has it easier without the language barrier.