Pattaya: German pensioner charged with negligent riding and going through red light - Russian woman in hospital

webfact

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Hopefully, by the time I am 64, there will be proper metered taxis here and I will not be forced to ride a motorbike as well.  

Until you get a motorbike you are missing out, something you won't appreciate until you get one, so glad I bought one 3 years ago 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Until you get a motorbike you are missing out, something you won't appreciate until you get one, so glad I bought one 3 years ago 

I own a motorbike here, well, a scooter.  I've been riding motorbikes since I was a young man.  

I hope I don't NEED to ride a motorbike around Pattaya when I am 64.  

Thailand is so 3rd World with this constant mafia tactics of controlling the essential service of land transport.  It's all across Thailand in the tourist areas, and it's killing people, literally.  It's a disgrace.  

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

I own a motorbike here, well, a scooter.  I've been riding motorbikes since I was a young man.  

I hope I don't NEED to ride a motorbike around Pattaya when I am 64.  

Thailand is so 3rd World with this constant mafia tactics of controlling the essential service of land transport.  It's all across Thailand in the tourist areas, and it's killing people, literally.  It's a disgrace.  

Not sure what you are talking about, I'd be happy over 64 riding a motorbike, last thing I'd want is a car or pickup around town

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not sure what you are talking about, I'd be happy over 64 riding a motorbike, last thing I'd want is a car or pickup around town

Did you not see the word NEED in capital letters?

Needing to ride a bike is different to going for a ride for pleasure.  I hope I can still ride at 64, I just hope I don't NEED to here.  

For decades the mafia transport BS has been going on all over Thailand in the tourist areas, baht buses excluded here. 

The ridiculous thing is, if taxis actually used the meter here, they would make a lot more money than they do just sitting around waiting to rip off one customer for a day's salary or more.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

Hopefully, by the time I am 64, there will be proper metered taxis here and I will not be forced to ride a motorbike as well.  

Get your phone out and book a Bolt and stop winging, you are getting old worrying about nothing. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

The ridiculous thing is, if taxis actually used the meter here, they would make a lot more money than they do just sitting around waiting to rip off one customer for a day's salary or more.  

You are thinking logically...it doesn`t work here...Thais know best :whistling:

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 5:51 PM, anchadian said:

Only a published report due to it being a foreigner.

Jail time for the German no doubt.  If the accused was a Thai, a small fine would be imposed.

Notice your tendency to jump in and make it a race thing. What does that say about you?

• Like 2

On 3/5/2021 at 7:08 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Let's see how glad you will be after ending at ICU or maybe in a coffin...

wishing you the best

On 3/5/2021 at 6:01 PM, Leaver said:

yes but the Nobel prizes here usually understand this only after they die on the road !

I was a rider until I stayed in Thailand, this is what anybody with half a brain at least should do.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why will he end up in ICU or a Coffin ???

Or do you mean that he is at greater risk than someone who drives a car? in which case he would agree. 

But, there are 70 million people in Thailand, not all of them have an accident... in fact there is 0.026% chance of getting killed in a motorcycle accident every year, that stat reduces significantly if someone doesn’t ride while drunk or a night... 

So, while riding a motorcycle isn’t the automatic ticket to ICU or death you suggest it is, as another poster wrote - it would be nice to have the option of hassle free travel in the evenings (like in Bangkok) and not have to ride if one wants to get anywhere without being ripped off or d!<ked about... 

BOLT - does it really work at all in Pattaya ? 

Grab doesn’t seem to work very well. 

yes, people like you keep talking when 50 riders at least die on the road everyday///

so you must be right, keep talking ! And condolences to your family...

6 minutes ago, suhoaswhas said:

Scared ? I drive over 200 km/h in a fast German car and I am not scared at all...

So your probably the guy that hits the motorcyclists killing them because of speeding ????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, suhoaswhas said:

yes, people like you keep talking when 50 riders at least die on the road everyday///

so you must be right, keep talking ! And condolences to your family...

I would like to be clear on your comments. 

Are you suggesting that every motorcycle rider in Thailand will have an accident and will die irrespective of what the facts and statistic suggest. 

Your stat: 50 riders each day die - thats 18250 per year, of 70,000,000 people... 

The statistical risk: 0.026%

While the risk is elevated compared to other nations and other modes of transport its not quite as damning as some suggest.

-------

Of course to someone who sits in a padded room and lacks the intellectual capacity to evaluate risk reading the news of a 74 year old going through a red light places the nation of motorcycle riders in grave danger.... 

It concerns me that those with such ill founded and illogical conclusions have contributed to the gene pool... :whistling:

On 3/4/2021 at 9:46 AM, mikeymike100 said:

Agreed the German is a Dick, as you out it. What would have happened to a Thai in similar circumstances is not irrelevant, it is relevant to everyone.

It isn't in the slightest bit relevant to me in any way imaginable, so not everyone 

Ooh I have a confused stalker, it's rather flattering!!!

Edited by shy coconut
  • Sad 1

On 3/6/2021 at 9:12 AM, petermik said:

You are thinking logically...it doesn`t work here...Thais know best :whistling:

It's not that they know best, it's that the transport mafia forces people onto motorbikes. even the elderly, many of whom would probably catch taxis several times a week, if they used the meter, instead of being forced to ride a motorbike.

56 minutes ago, suhoaswhas said:

yes but the Nobel prizes here usually understand this only after they die on the road !

I was a rider until I stayed in Thailand, this is what anybody with half a brain at least should do.

What do you do for transport?  

On 3/5/2021 at 12:24 PM, markeewan said:

I think that at 64 you will still be pretty sharp, no worries there.

I know a falang here on a visa extension (retirement) who is 64.     He always drives  with excess speed because he explains he's in a hurry and he only laughs at the idea of getting a ticket.    He often does drink driving and sometimes has no recall.  Yes he's had accidents.   He explained to a mutual friend his driving is OKAY because he simply drives like Thai drivers drive.

He visits Pattaya at least once a week to visit a friend and run errands.

On 3/4/2021 at 7:53 AM, webfact said:

Sixty four year old German national Ferrer I.J. who was apparently uninjured was detained by the Muang Pattaya police and charged with negligent driving, causing injury and mental grief and going through a red light. 

Geez... he will spend years in court fighting those charges... imagine if a Thai were involved.

He will surely lose his shirt... wonder how much it will cost him to clean up this mess.

2 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Geez... he will spend years in court fighting those charges... imagine if a Thai were involved.

He will surely lose his shirt... wonder how much it will cost him to clean up this mess.

You just never know.... follow up articles are rare and one suspects a cash payment induced leniency.(Compensation I mean, nothing underhand, 555)

• 1 month later...

Careless driving, 500 baht fine.

Red light, 500 baht fine.

It was just an accident. Was he under the influence?

I assume this is not a criminal matter and he won't have a criminal record?