Cambodia ranks tops in affordability for expat retirees for fifth year

geovalin

The place is a tip with no western level services to be found, nobody with half a brain would relocate there from LOS. If you think Thailand corrupt, that place is ten times worse in every part of government, police and daily life. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Considering the guy quoted in the article lived in Thailand for a while I was a little surprised at this - 

Phil made a point of stressing that Phnom Penh was generally “unkempt”.

Pointing to a pile of rubbish on St 172, he said that such a sight would be completely unacceptable in Thailand.

or maybe it was because it was on a main street........

I’ve only been to Phnom Penh and it was pretty grubby, with people openly urinating in the streets. However they do have a pretty decent mall and an area with pretty nice cafes. I felt pretty safe there. However, I didn’t find it any cheaper than Thailand, so I’m surprised by the article. On balance I prefer Thailand and Vietnam.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, have you lived in Cambodia?? Please supply evidence to back up your "anti" claims. I have now been happily retired, living one year  in Siem Reap after 20 years in Thailand. You quote "no western level services to be found" however in my penthouse apartment for starters, I have mains water, sewerage and electricity, a bathroom with flushing western toilet, air conditioning units, ceiling fans, flat screen wall fitted digital TV's in both bedroom and lounge, internet and a kitchen which includes a fridge-freezer, microwave oven and an electric hotplate. In Siem Reap we have access to many modern banks, supermarkets (including a new MAKRO), pharmacies and clinics. Because of the cost of electricity, solar panel systems are being widely installed in domestic and industrial premises. In fact, my landlord has solar powered security lights for night use. Currently in Siem Reap, there is a vast on-going road improvement project which also includes the re-laying of new water and sewerage pipes. 5G is currently being trialed by the major telecom companies. 

I quote from the OP (and the main reason I left LOS, having done my homework, just before the borders closed using my 100% complete brain):-

"Cambodia introduced its ER Retirement Visa in 2016. The visa is issued initially for one month but can be extended easily through a broker at a cost of $275 yearly"

Mine cost me 289$. Once registered on FPCS (Foreign Persons in Cambodia System) one can easily apply for a retirement visa by completing an application form at a registered agent presenting your passport and payment - so simple! No bureaucratic financial or proof of income requirements, no cash in bank BS, no health insurance, no 90 day reports etc. Once you get your visa, no further involvement with Immigration for a year. 

You are one entitled foreigner living in a country that does nothing for its millions in abject poverty. Good for you if you can live with that. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

This guy is a Cambodian Expat in PP has he been interviewed? Personally i do not find the place more affordable then Thailand just it offers easier visa options.

12F63E05-6109-4B95-980C-41C2E237DA44.jpeg

I lived in Cambodia for a number of years. One thing I often pointed out to people is that there are "no brakes". You can run around in your underwear (or worse) and there's nobody there to look after you. You need to take care of yourself. If you can't do that, then it isn't the place for you. 

As for affordability, it takes some looking around to find reasonable accommadations. If you insist on eating and living on the tourist trap Mekong river area(Phnom Penh) you will be paying top dollar, easily comparable to BKK.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

a country that does nothing for its millions in abject poverty

For reference (Open Development Cambodia):-

The Ministry of Economy and Finance has announced that the government has so far distributed $78 million to poor families suffering from the pandemic. (September 2020)