Trucker crushed to death at Sri Racha port as cable snaps on crane lifting container

webfact

Trucker crushed to death at Sri Racha port as cable snaps on crane lifting container

8pm.jpg
Picture: Daily News

A 32 year old truck driver had no chance after a cable snapped as a 32 ton load of eucalyptus wood in a 40 foot container was being lifted onto his vehicle from a ship at a port in Sri Racha.

The accident happened at Kerry Siam Seaport Co Ltd at Zone D1.

Rescue services had to use a crane to remove the container then the deceased was cut out using cutting equipment.

He was named as Thikan Khamdaeng, 32. 

Daily News reported that no charges have yet been made in relation to the incident that is being investigated.

Source: Daily News

• Sad 4
  • Haha 1

Sad. R.I.P.

Just 32 - too young to go.

A similar event at Lam Chabang recently.

Avoidable? Seems they need systems where elevated containers  cannot cross where people are below - hopefully they can work that out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, law ling said:

Sad. R.I.P.

Avoidable? Seems they need systems where elevated containers  cannot cross where people are below - hopefully they can work that out.

Looks to me like they were using a reach stacker to load the container onto his truck bed. Possibly the container was passing over his cab when one of the lugs broke off or cable snapped. RIP, but should have never been anywhere near the container, ie. should have left his cab until the container had been secured.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never have seen a crane offload from a ship directly onto the bed of a truck before.  Thats one heck of a fall for the container, RIP poor man.  Better question is, Why was he sitting in the truck and not outside in a sfae area, just on the off chance of an accident.

True, usually they are stacked at the yard until customs paperwork is complete and then transferred out to the consignee by truck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rwill said:

See the source image

Guess they will have to restart the safety goal board again as 0 INJURIES, 0 DEATHS, but add a new Category for ACCIDENTAL DEATHS.

Edited by ThailandRyan

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never have seen a crane offload from a ship directly onto the bed of a truck before.  Thats one heck of a fall for the container, RIP poor man.  Better question is, Why was he sitting in the truck and not outside in a sfae area, just on the off chance of an accident.

Its unloaded from vessel to chassis than moved to an inland bonded depot. The driver is not allowed to leave the cab inside the ISPS terminal.

6 hours ago, law ling said:

Sad. R.I.P.

I always make a point of staying above a heavy load.

God that sucks poor guy much much to young my deepest condolences to his family and co workers.unforutanlly I had an experience in my career a co worker and I were rigging a crew boat out of the water the operator two blocked the crane lost the rig and killed my friend not 20 feet away from me I’m forever changed it was an older crane not fitted with an anti two block device.on the plus side Shari and her daughters were well compensated as the tragedy happened here in the USA it just sucks majorly so sad and most likely so preventable