Requesting an appointment with VFS for passport renewal

I wrote to VFS a few days ago to request an appointment in the second half of April to submit everything needed for a new UK passport, and they replied by saying that it was too early to make an appointment. However, they didn't say when it would be OK to do so. They did say that they would get in touch with me, but I wonder if people in a busy office will remember. Could anyone tell me how early it is possible to apply? I would like an appointment in the week beginning April 20th because I shall be in Bangkok then.

5 minutes ago, Ombra said:

Yes, I read carefully through the instructions before I wrote and requested the appointment. They just said that it was too soon.

Try again about a month before the day you want an appointment.

Seems 28 days in advance is the current max for an appt.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

Announcement

We know that there is a high demand for our notarial services and that our website may not show any free appointments. Appointments are currently available to book 28 days in advance. If you are unable find an appointment that meets your needs, please continue to check our website for updates.

31 minutes ago, Pib said:

Seems 28 days in advance is the current max for an appt.

That is for appointments at the UK embassy consular section. He is making an appointment at the VFS visa center for a passport.

43 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is for appointments at the UK embassy consular section. He is making an appointment at the VFS visa center for a passport.

Yes...I know...but maybe the same appt rules in terms of advance appts is followed.

4 hours ago, Pib said:

Yes...I know...but maybe the same appt rules in terms of advance appts is followed.

You are both suggesting a month and I suspect that you will be right. Thanks for the help.

6 hours ago, Pib said:

In which case it would IMHO really be nice if either HMPO could publish these rules on the GOV.UK website or VFS could publish them on theirs at https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/th/en/hmpo. The cumbersomely bureaucratic With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience is already horrendous enough for us Brits with its 2 enforced route marches from all quarters in LOS to VFS offices in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, without those of us needing to renew our passports in effect being expected to play guessing games on the timing of our emailed applications for initial appointments at said offices to boot!

You Americans can count yourselves extremely fortunate that you are not expected to endure this sort of nonsense when renewing your passports!

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

I don’t know if this assists you but about a week ago I applied for an appointment at VFS in Chiang Mai for the renewal of our daughters UK passport.

I gave three dates with the preferred date of 21March and an am appointment.

I got the time and date requested and as there is only one email address presume it’s a central booking system I got a response the same day.

I have very recently been through this whole process with VFS and I too applied for an appointment too far in advance (about 6-8 weeks) and got the same response as you Ombra.   I then waited until a month before I wanted my appointment and was given a date almost immediately.   I wouldn't wait for them to contact you, simply contact them again a month before.   The whole process runs very smooth.   The waiting time at present is about 6 - 7 weeks.   There is an excellent post on this by a guy 'Ajarn Phil' and he explains everything you need to do to renew a British passport.   Just google him, many people use his site for this purpose.   Good luck.

I also recently obtained my appointment with VFS for UK passport renewal. I applied about 10 days ago by email and was given one of my requested dates for next week. All very efficient, I received my appointment email back from them within a few hours. 

I do have one question though which I am hoping someone can answer. My application is in fact for my young son (11 years old), does he need to attend the interview at Trendy Tower with me? The appointment is on a day when he would normally be at school, and it would be far simpler if I can go alone and submit the application for his passport, as his father. Do they need to see him? Or can I complete the process alone?

17 hours ago, Golden Brown said:

I have very recently been through this whole process with VFS and I too applied for an appointment too far in advance (about 6-8 weeks) and got the same response as you Ombra.   I then waited until a month before I wanted my appointment and was given a date almost immediately.   I wouldn't wait for them to contact you, simply contact them again a month before.   The whole process runs very smooth.   The waiting time at present is about 6 - 7 weeks.   There is an excellent post on this by a guy 'Ajarn Phil' and he explains everything you need to do to renew a British passport.   Just google him, many people use his site for this purpose.   Good luck.

Thank very much, GB. That's a great help. I looked at Ajarn Phil's very helpful account of what to do a few months ago, but I'll check again.

I have just had my passport renewed but I added an agent in between this “system”. Why they do not have a more transparent online booking system ? 
I have replied to the HMPO survey request that VFS has not improved the the application process but made it worse. The last time I applied it was through Hong Kong and it was easier and did not involve 2 travel days to Bangkok 

• 2 weeks later...

When I wrote to VFS early in March to request an appointment in April, they said that it was too soon to do so. They also said that they would write to me when the time for bookings arrived, but I didn't think that they would remember. However, I am happy to say that they wrote to me today and offered me an appointment on 19th April, which was one of the days I requested. They also gave me a time which is convenient to me. I am very pleased that the first step has gone well.

Archived