SpaceX Starship rocket prototype nails landing... then blows up

webfact

"fly Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa around the moon"
Settling on Mars and all that BS.

Why can't this guy do something useful with his money??

Think about the almost 8 billion population on earth e.g.?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

48 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Secondly is he personally responsible, in your opinion, for the nearly 8 billion people on earth?

As the excess people aren't American or Japanese (both countries have shrinking populations), I don't see how either of these guys should be expected to waste their money on sorting out other countries problems.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tug said:

Yeiks!!!looks like it needs a bit more work ehhh? keep it up you will get it right eventually 

I hope that he has a good insurance policy, though next years premiums might be a tad higher.

7 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Yeah, right. He is doing something useful. Cull 4 billion of the population and we'll be back to somewhat sustainable levels for our mother Earth. Drop condoms all over the Asia and Africa and forbid all forms of religions... that might help some. But that, of course, will not sit well with the hyper-capitalists, that make big money with big population.

Why Asia and Africa?

How would you go about “culling” half the planets population?

What is your criteria for deciding who would be  “culled”?

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At a time whole industries are becoming extinct because of excessive focus on shareholder returns and quarterly results (think about North American telecoms equipment industry, i.e. Nortel, Lucent, Bell Labs, etc...) someone like him, who is taking risks and investing for future business, is a blessing (whatever one may think about his personality).

8 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Why Asia and Africa?

How would you go about “culling” half the planets population?

What is your criteria for deciding who would be  “culled”?

Because Asia and Africa are the biggest contributors to the population increase. My home country has a negative population growth. Who will feed them all when in ten years time the world population will grow to 10 billion?

You should watch "Soylent Green", and old movie by now, but so relevant. It's almost scary how correctly it predicted the future 48 years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

41 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

Because Asia and Africa are the biggest contributors to the population increase. My home country has a negative population growth. Who will feed them all when in ten years time the world population will grow to 10 billion?

You should watch "Soylent Green", and old movie by now, but so relevant. It's almost scary how correctly it predicted the future 48 years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

I have watched  soylent green, it’s fiction and predicted jack sh*t accurately. 

oh and I don’t believe your “reasoning”...and you didn’t answer all the questions in my post. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

oh and I don’t believe your “reasoning”...and you didn’t answer all the questions in my post. 

image.png.0d99c2d8b54ba6dc791a874d244adf48.png I rest my case.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

image.png.0d99c2d8b54ba6dc791a874d244adf48.png I rest my case.....

That does not prove anything, least of all why you chose Africa and Asia for your “solution”...also you have still not answered all the questions to your first post. 

Oh and I believe it is always best to post a link to graphs posted...context and all that. 

Like this one 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/264683/top-fifty-countries-with-the-highest-population-density/

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1

Kudos SpaceX on nailing latest attempt.

This is right out of a B Sci-Fi movie ("The Day the Earth Stood Still", etc),

As soon as they find some reason that $$ can be made outside this planet it'll be another wave of gold rushes,

Think about what prospectors endured during the Klondike rush in Alaska ????

Edited by cobra

To pull this thread back on topic a bit! The rocket was actually on fire before it touched down and the casing was beginning to peel away. It isn't just the landing that's the problem here.

13 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

That does not prove anything, least of all why you chose Africa and Asia for your “solution”...also you have still not answered all the questions to your first post. 

Oh and I believe it is always best to post a link to graphs posted...context and all that. 

Like this one 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/264683/top-fifty-countries-with-the-highest-population-density/

There you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_growth

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

If you must have the last word, then so be it. I'm not willing to continue this off-topic discussion. If you want to have a discussion, start a topic and challenge me there.

However, I fail to see what population density has to do with global population growth.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

If you must have the last word, then so be it. I'm not willing to continue this off-topic discussion. If you want to have a discussion, start a topic and challenge me there.

However, I fail to see what population density has to do with global population growth.

You started the off topic discussion and have consistently failed to explain your “reasoning”.

I’m not at all surprised you don’t understand why I posted the link. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1

On 3/4/2021 at 3:56 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Depopulation is under way AKA covid and vaccination 

• Haha 2

On 3/4/2021 at 3:56 PM, KhunBENQ said:

This is how the elite billionaires think:
The 8 billion people are nothing short of a disease infecting the planet.
The wealthiest are the saviors of the human species and the only way to save humanity is to spread out to the stars.  The best specimens of humanity need to be sent to space to colonize.  (Now how that selection process in different than the Nazi ideals of the 1930s and 40s escapes me but there you have it). 
In the meanwhile -  the Earth needs a cull while the Elon Musks and Jeff Bezos and figure ways to send humans offworld so that when these elites blow the Earth up - at least there are some humans left.

8 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I don't believe there is any limit to the amount of food that can be produced on this earth.

Of course, farmers aren't charitable organisations, and people will need money to buy the food.

The real limit to the world's population is the ability of people to earn money to buy their food.

Edited by BritManToo

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't believe there is any limit to the amount of food that can be produced on this earth.

Of course, farmers aren't charitable organisations, and people will need money to buy the food.

The real limit to the world's population is the ability of people to earn money to buy their food.

And that is relevant to my post, how?