SSD upgrade but no noticeable improvement

giddyup

5 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Don't shoot the messenger you were misinformed

He wasn't misinformed; he simply chose to not follow the advice of a clean install. How do we know that the device is not riddled with malware  and bloatware? We don't. He could have simply cloned it over to the new install.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

New sim router from 1200 up could be a way forward a DTAC annual 10 deal is from 1250 on LAzada , read small print re calls texts fair use data etc

Not necessary, his internet provider should upgrade his router if he’s paying for a speed with which his current router cannot delivery

I had an issue with 3BB, and told them if they don’t upgrade my router for a higher speed, then I’m down grading back to the original package, hey presto new router cam 3 days later, 1GB Fiber    

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Susco said:

Maybe you should practice some reading skills, and offer an apology.

I made clear that 5G is a mobile network and that 5 Ghz is a WI-FI standard used by internet providers

Wi-Fi standard 802.11ac and 802.11ax both have a 5GHz band available. 5G is also used for Mobile phones

I would suggest you contact 3BB. And do back off with the attitude when you do.

I spent a decades working with the public. I always did my best when they didn't <deleted> me off. 

Edited by Curt1591
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bolt said:

Not necessary, his internet provider should upgrade his router if he’s paying for a speed with which his current router cannot delivery

I'm sure he has a sufficient router, there is even a post from him on this forum some time ago, that 3BB tested his speed on their laptop with wireless connection, and they got the full speed.

OP has simply a wealth of no idea what he is talking about, and as usual is very selective in which advice he accepts

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

wattanna in tutcom are you sure....???

They are opposite Foodland but also have a shop in Tukcom. At least last week it was still there. 

15 minutes ago, upu2 said:

Wi-Fi standard 802.11ac and 802.11ax both have a 5GHz band available. 5G is also used for Mobile phones

To be clear:

Wifi 5GHz has nothing to do with mobile cell network 5G.

5G stands for 5th Generation and does *not* use the 5GHz frequency range.

An SSD has nothing to do with Internet speed.

LAN means local cabled connection (Location Area Network, usually Ethernet) so no Wifi nor 5G.

A lot of the stuff in this thread makes no sense and shows that the people, especially the OP, are confused about the terms and technology.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 2

My quote from the thread in question:

That's why I don't recommend any copying, cloning nor anything complicated.

This IS starting from scratch and you still haven't posted details of the PC. 

There is just ONE component that makes your PC slow. You are simply replacing that component. In fact the local techs are more than capable of cloning the current drive on to an SSD and should be able to do the job whilst you wait.

But I don't usually suggest cloning as of course you are also cloning carp that you might not want.

So what did the OP do? Clone everything.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Well I took the advice offered re my slow Lenovo all in one and bought a WD SSD 250, cost 1200 baht, took it to Wattana at Tuckom (Pattaya) and had it fitted and cloned for 800 baht, so a total of 2000 baht, but with no noticeable improvement. In fact a 3BB speed test gives me the exact same reading I was getting before. I now have a 1TB HDD that I will need to buy a 600 baht enclosure for if I want to use that as spare storage. So I think this may well have been a case of "if it ain't broke...."

Hi I live in Pattaya. I can take a look at it for free. You should have gotten a real good speed boost going from a HDD to SSD.

5 minutes ago, bolt said:

I was going to ask, what speed is his Lan cable Cat 5or6, but pherhaps the hole is big enough already 

Before you think about Cat 5 or 6 you have to think about the speed of the LAN port. Is it Fast Ethernet or Gigabit Ethernet? How long is the cable? But even with a Gigabit Ethernet port on both devices you will not see much real difference between Cat 5 or 6 if you are connected to a router. It is a completely different story if you have a network of computers.

Last week I purchased from InvadeIT a Samsung Evo670 500GB SSD and upgraded my son’s old Lenovo Z5070 laptop.

Downloaded windows media creation tool to a flash drive. Changed the drive which took me approx 10 mins. Didn’t need to change the boot order as the SSD was not recognized and restarted the system.

Total cost which was just the SSD 2,450.

He tells me it’s now like a completely new laptop.

9 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

To be clear:

Wifi 5GHz has nothing to do with mobile cell network 5G.

5G stands for 5th Generation and does *not* use the 5GHz frequency range.

An SSD has nothing to do with Internet speed.

LAN means local cabled connection (Location Area Network, usually Ethernet) so no Wifi nor 5G.

A lot of the stuff in this thread makes no sense and shows that the people, especially the OP, are confused about the terms and technology.

Exactly and precisely this.

5 minutes ago, bookstore1369 said:

Hi I live in Pattaya. I can take a look at it for free. You should have gotten a real good speed boost going from a HDD to SSD.

If it is the OP's internet connection that is slow, and his last posts indicate that this indeed is the problem, then the type of hard drive that's installed won't change that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Exactly and precisely this.

If it is the OP's internet connection that is slow, and his last posts indicate that this indeed is the problem, then the type of hard drive that's installed won't change that.

267 Mbps slow? The Internet connection is not slow.

Specs are here: https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo_Desktops/Lenovo_C20/Lenovo_C20_Spec.PDF

The Pentium J3710 was actually the top of the range. It's not clear whether the OP had a 3.5" drive within or a 2.5" drive. Since he writes of a powered caddy, we might assume 3.5".

RAM can be upgraded to 8GB to pull a bit more performance out of the device. A clean install will allow the max.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Susco said:

The Ethernet adapter is either 10/100 or 10/100/1000 (Gigabit).

If he has the former, his maximum speed will be 100 Mbps maximum, usually little less.

Since he claims to get 256 Mbps, it is obvious he has a Gigabit Ethernet adapter.

Cat5e or Cat6 both support speeds of 1Gbps over 100 meter length, Cat6 actually a much longer distance.

Cat5 only 100 Mbps.

Then he obviously has at least a Cat 6 cable already. 

48 minutes ago, Susco said:

Cat5 only 100 Mbps.

So long as all 4 pairs are terminated (any cat 5 cable you buy) a Cat5 patch cables will do Gigabit over a couple of metres, router to computer etc. 

A true cat5 cable only uses 2 pairs (some older ones only had 2 pairs terminated) but manufactures have been terminating all 4 pairs for years. 

53 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Everything is simple when you know how.

I have tried to gently introduce things to you, but you always react so gruffly. I can see it's not just to me from the reactions here.

You just do not seem interested in learning anything new at all and so end up confused and angry at the people who try to help you.

Your device has a Gigabit Ethernet connection. You get a better Internet connection that way. But we have no idea as to your actual issue. Slow loading? Problem with playing files? We have no idea.

You claim that there is no improvement in moving from HDD to SSD. You would be the only one in history. Everyone else claims a significant improvement. So we need to know exactly what is happening and what isn't.

If you want a faster speed via WiFi you can buy an inexpensive WiFi adapter.

People go out of their way to help you. Accept with kindness in return.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

So long as all 4 pairs are terminated (any cat 5 cable you buy) a Cat5 patch cables will do Gigabit over a couple of metres, router to computer etc. 

A true cat5 cable only uses 2 pairs (some older ones only had 2 pairs terminated) but manufactures have been terminating all 4 pairs for years. 

Maybe you know better, but this says something different, and it is also my experience after being involved in network services for the past 10 years.

And no, a Cat5 does not use only 2 wires, Cat5 and Cat5e both use 2 pairs, the difference is the twisting of the pairs. Please don't tall about something you don't know anything about

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=cat5+speed

image.png.db098e650a70e9335be78ad7aeb3a7a7.png

https://www.pcwdld.com/cat-5-vs-cat-5e

Cat 5 vs Cat 5e: What’s the Difference & Comparison of the two Network Cables

Comparison Chart: Cat5 vs Cat5e

Cable Shielding.  Cable Type Frequency (Bandwidth) Max Speed (100mts) Characteristic Impedance Main Difference
Cat5 Unshielded UTP 100 MHz 10/100 Mbps 100 ohms More crosstalk
Cat5e Unshielded UTP 100 MHz 1000 Mbps / 1 Gbps 100 ohms No Crosstalk. (or Less)
Edited by Susco

46 minutes ago, Susco said:

I guess you have missed this post of the OP in January of this year

so I got the techie out to test it as I assumed there was something wrong with my fibre connection. However he told me that it's impossible to get much more than the 200Mbps I'm getting now because the Lenovo isn't 5G. He showed me his laptop connected alongside my Lenovo and he was showing nearly 800Mbps on the Ookla speedtest.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1200275-computer-not-capable-of-getting-high-speeds-on-the-internet/

Add to that, that he has now changed only his hardddisk, and insists his PC is now able to use the 5G MOBILE network on his 3BB fibre optic connection.

I believe I pay for 1gbps and I'm getting 267mbps (today). I'm connected to 5G.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1208302-ssd-upgrade-but-no-noticeable-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=16297296

And not only that, but he even connects to the mobile network over a LAN connection.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1208302-ssd-upgrade-but-no-noticeable-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=16297349

Do I need to say more?

I often help people with computers. They need and like to use it but don't understand every detail. 5G or 5 GHz WiFi and LAN whatever and Cat whatever or other things - they simply want to have a problem free and fast computer and only for things they really use.

I fix the problems for friends without much technical explanation. They might not understand it anyway. People should have the option to ask whatever questions they have. For this we have this forum. And if he is still not happy with his Internet speed then it is somehow our fault too. He asked for help and obviously we were not (yet) good enough. 

51 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Then he obviously has at least a Cat 6 cable already. 

No, because Cat5e also supports Gigabit speeds, and is different from Cat5.

In fact, I don't see a reason to use Cat6, since Cat5e is more than sufficient for the speeds available for home use internet in Thailand.

I always shake my head when I see posts from people who claim they need Cat7 and better, and that it gives them so much better speeds, because in real life in Thailand it has no advantage over Cat5e

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

I think it might be perhaps a good idea to restart this thread. The OP should explain exactly what problems he has. And only if we understood them completely we should give him an advice what he might try to solve them. First without spending any money.

1 hour ago, Susco said:

And no, a Cat5 does not use only 2 wires, Cat5 and Cat5e both use 2 pairs, the difference is the twisting of the pairs. Please don't tall about something you don't know anything about

Cat 5 uses 2 pairs (4 wires) , Cat5e uses 4 pairs (8 wires) 

Yes, the max speed of cat 5 is 100Mps with only 2 pair terminated (nobody has used 2 pair cable or only terminated 2 pairs for many years)

So long as all 8 wires are terminated in the rj45 its the same wiring and will operate at gigabit over short distances were shielding crosstalk etc is not important.

Cat5 4 wires, cat5e 8 wires, network wiring 101

What is Gigabit Ethernet? How is It Used with PoE?

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Cat 5 uses 2 pairs (4 wires) , Cat5e uses 4 pairs (8 wires) 

Yes, the max speed of cat 5 is 100Mps with only 2 pair terminated 

So long as all 8 wires are terminated its the same wiring and will operate at gigabit over short distances.

What is Gigabit Ethernet? How is It Used with PoE?

I stand corrected, for Gigabit Ethernet 4 pairs should be used, though there are credible sources that claim it can be achieved over 2 pair

Edited by Susco