SSD upgrade but no noticeable improvement

giddyup

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I recently took on 3BBs TV box (load of rubbish) but the firsat thing they did was to replace the router, free of charge.

My router was replaced about 6 months ago by 3BB..

15 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Specs are here: https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo_Desktops/Lenovo_C20/Lenovo_C20_Spec.PDF

The Pentium J3710 was actually the top of the range. It's not clear whether the OP had a 3.5" drive within or a 2.5" drive. Since he writes of a powered caddy, we might assume 3.5".

RAM can be upgraded to 8GB to pull a bit more performance out of the device. A clean install will allow the max.

Make sure he gets another 4GB strip, same make & model as first, so dual channel technology can happen.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Make sure he gets another 4GB strip, same make & model as first, so dual channel technology can happen.

I think I'll leave well enough alone, the Lenovo AIO is over 5 years old, it's possible that the monitor could go and then it just wouldn't be worth fixing. I'll only buy a new PC with A Ryzen processor, SSD 500 and 8GB Ram next time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

I just tried your Torrent Galaxy - no problems here. Do you sometimes make a total scan for viruses with an updated virus scanner? 

Windows Defender in W10 should do that if up to date.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'm actually downloading a couple of torrents, but I'll give it a try as soon as it's finished. Thanks.

Have been using Tixati since bittorrent went to advertising but suspect you can set the max download/upload speeds just as in Tixati even while downloading.  Another factor that may come into play is internet provider fair use restrictions - they may limit your speed if you use at more than a fraction of full speed for more than an hour or so.  This may well be the reason your speed checks show a lower than paid speed.  This is hidden in the Thai terms of service on my provider.  I don't have near 1g service but keep limited to 6000 KB/s download  to avoid issues.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Have been using Tixati since bittorrent went to advertising but suspect you can set the max download/upload speeds just as in Tixati even while downloading.  Another factor that may come into play is internet provider fair use restrictions - they may limit your speed if you use at more than a fraction of full speed for more than an hour or so.  This may well be the reason your speed checks show a lower than paid speed.  This is hidden in the Thai terms of service on my provider.  I don't have near 1g service but keep limited to 6000 KB/s download  to avoid issues.

I don't get any advertising on qBittorrent, maybe because I have the V3.3.12 version.

Edited by giddyup

3 minutes ago, petermik said:

Dump Bittorent for qBittorent.....much better :thumbsup:

That's what I have. Sorry, I just abbreviated it. What I find slow on qBittorrent is not the downloads, but when I have to open the Destination Folder so I can transfer the file onto a USB stick.

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You pay for newsgroups (does the same as torrents but just full files). But i get full out of my 1gb download when using it. Or close to full like over 58 megabyte a second. Never had my speed turned down. I also download games for my VR set one was a whopping 171 GB (did not take too long) and still did not curb my speed. So maybe its just for torrents.

I use 3bb too.. i have a torrent client on my nas drive. I use it when the newsgroups don't provide results.

• Like 2

Just now, giddyup said:

I don't get any advertising on Bittorrent, maybe because I have the V3.3.12 version.

This was many years ago and memory foggy but believe it was advertising or some other unwanted action - had been using prior to that but a version change turned me off - have been very happy with Tixati (very light system).

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

You pay for newsgroups (does the same as torrents but just full files). But i get full out of my 1gb download when using it. Or close to full like over 58 megabyte a second. Never had my speed turned down. I also download games for my VR set one was a whopping 171 GB (did not take too long) and still did not curb my speed. So maybe its just for torrents.

I on True and have not checked for few years so may have changed since then but at one time they had such a fair use policy and indeed was aimed at torrents.  Probably not needed these days as most people can stream or download a file in five minutes with the much higher average speeds today so are not always downloading as OP seems to be doing.

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

I use 3bb too.. i have a torrent client on my nas drive. I use it when the newsgroups don't provide results.

Totally correct - 3BB don’t give a toss what you use your connection for. I wish this myth would disappear from the forum.

They used to charge extra to provide a premium service during peak hours, that line had low contention ratio, but that was 5-10 years back.

25 minutes ago, giddyup said:

My router was replaced about 6 months ago by 3BB..

Doesnt mean anything - You wouldn’t be the first to be given a shiny new router that can’t handle gigabit - because they didn’t have the gigabit router on the shelf.

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I on True and have not checked for few years so may have changed since then but at one time they had such a fair use policy and indeed was aimed at torrents.  Probably not needed these days as most people can stream or download a file in five minutes with the much higher average speeds today so are not always downloading as OP seems to be doing.

Problem is (and im paying for netflix) not everything is always available. That is why i got my NAS setup with more downloads. But i rather pay extra  for more content. But its so splintered and some things you cant get digitally. Especially when in an other country.  (does not excuse me for being an downloader)

If you stop the torrent activities completely (your downloads and uploads by others) do you still have the same problems? Can you check in the task manager the network activity if everything is really off? 

1 hour ago, JetsetBkk said:

Try turning off  Bittorrent, close any other programs and then go to fast.com.

547824756_Fast1GBPS400.jpg.e962cffe09edf2917e9a5eb1c37868fb.jpg

The speed is pretty much the same with qBittorrent turned off. It's 180Mbps with Fast.com and 252Mbps with 3BB Speedtest.

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The speed is pretty much the same with qBittorrent turned off. It's 180Mbps with Fast.com and 252Mbps with 3BB Speedtest.

Then please check the CPU and memory usage in the task manager. Do you know how to use it?

Next would be to check the Internet with the Chrome browser. I don't know if you ever used this browser. Similar to add-ons at Firefox you can use there extensions to extend its features. But first it would be interesting to see if this browser changes anything. 

Speed aside, I'm wondering if it's worth buying a powered enclosure for the 1TB Seagate HDD that came out of the Lenovo. I already have a WD My Passport 500GB, that's more than enough extra storage for me, yet it seems a waste to not utilise the Seagate, not just bin it.

Just now, giddyup said:

Speed aside, I'm wondering if it's worth buying a powered enclosure for the 1TB Seagate HDD that came out of the Lenovo. I already have a WD My Passport 500GB, that's more than enough extra storage for me, yet it seems a waste to not utilise the Seagate, not just bin it.

2.5" or 3.5"? Read from the drive.

As mentioned before, I'd suggest next to turn off qBittorrent (not Bittorrent, that's the official one, please don't abbreviate things because turns out it's something else) and then look at the task manager for CPU, RAM and Disk usage. Many people are missing that opening the folder is slow too so it's not the internet speed that is the issue. Either something is using tons of resources or maybe you got some crapware installed.

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Utilise it for WHAT?

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

Single RAM slot; no dual channel. Would need an 8GB module.

Sorry, but done with upgrades to the Lenovo, already more than 5 years old, won't last forever.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

A  door stop. No, storage.

Storage of what? You already said that the 500GB WD is more than enough. And especially when you have One Drive cloud storage included in W10, and Google Drive with every Gmail account you open.

It's like keeping your old tyres, for WHAT?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

As mentioned before, I'd suggest next to turn off qBittorrent (not Bittorrent, that's the official one, please don't abbreviate things because turns out it's something else) and then look at the task manager for CPU, RAM and Disk usage. Many people are missing that opening the folder is slow too so it's not the internet speed that is the issue. Either something is using tons of resources or maybe you got some crapware installed.

Already said I tried turning off qBittorrent, no noticeable difference, but I'm not sure where to look in Task Manager for usage.