Thailand plans to allow foreign tourists to quarantine in resorts

snoop1130

10 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Unless you are coming here to stay/live....... any normal tourist would have to be mental to consider 14 days quarantine......think there is a catch-22 in there somewhere.

And I bet there a few of those desperado's already

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Frank Abegnale said:

I keep trotting this post out, here we go again . . . 

<Cue game show music> “You and a guest will fly to beautiful Thailand for two sun kissed weeks, enjoying the views, the sun (from your balcony), and tropical breezes (if you open your window), all while never having to leave the comfort of your hotel room. All this can be yours if the price is right!”

9 hours ago, fangless said:

“You and a guest will fly to beautiful Thailand for two sun kissed weeks, enjoying the views, the sun (from your balcony), and tropical breezes (if you open your window), all while never  to leave the comfort of your hotel room.

“You and a guest will fly to beautiful Thailand for two sun kissed weeks, enjoying the views, the sun (from your balcony), and tropical breezes (if you open your window), all while never  to leave the comfort of your hotel room.

11 hours ago, Frank Abegnale said:

I keep trotting this post out, here we go again . . . 

<Cue game show music> “You and a guest will fly to beautiful Thailand for two sun kissed weeks, enjoying the views, the sun (from your balcony), and tropical breezes (if you open your window), all while never having to leave the comfort of your hotel room. All this can be yours if the price is right!”

At least with this new proposed plan you can actually leave your room. 

If you can leave the room and can also meet other hotel guests it has the advantage that if one of them has Covid you all will be moved to a hospital for a real (expensive because no insurance will pay) quarantine. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Surelynot said:

We live opposite a huge Mercure....never seen more than  half a dozen rooms occupied at any one time.

I have a family member works as a electrician in a hotel in Bangkok he tells me they are all struggling and nobody is taking up the offers .

Another dumb idea by another dumb minister!  others are worried the economy is dying, others are moving to open up Thailand due to the vaccine and removing the required quarantine. This guy wakes up and go back to what's killing them!????

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The ministry also expects a travel bubble plan with countries that have similar vaccine distribution in the third or fourth quarter of the year, Phiphat said.

The only bubble round here is the one he's in. Phiphat obviously does not read international news and how other countries have already steamed ahead with their vaccination plans, the only country left out of travel bubbles with be Thailand.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Tourists would be quarantined for two weeks but if they test negative after three days they will be allowed out of their rooms in the hotel area, before travelling to other parts of the country, Phiphat said.

So, still 2 weeks quarantine.  No thanks!

• Like 1

TAT have to come up with ludicrous ideas on a regular basis to show their bosses thjey are really working. Most people I know in the world rank Thais ideas are 'Not on the Same Planet ; as the rest of the world. 

Many are now looking towards Vietnam , less corruption and FAR cleaner beaches and MORE welcoming . 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Deli said:

And what about the staff working at these hotels ?

I think the plan calls for them to be vaccinated, but there have been many "plans", so who knows?

One expects the "owners" will keep a safe distance (Bangkok).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How about selling TAT Virtual Reality helmets with all the wonders of Thailand already programmed? No need for travel or quarantine. No worries about getting beer on Holy days or being killed on the roads. With the addition of a few 'personal attachments' even the wonders of Pattaya can be experienced.

I'm just adding this to the list of ideas and respectfully request that a committee be formed to consider it.

Wow........ in your quarantine hotel you will be able to mingle with other potential Covid carrying quarantined guests, therefore allowing you to become infected yourself....................

Edited by metisdead
Oversize emojis removed.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tigerfeet said:

I have a family member works as a electrician in a hotel in Bangkok he tells me they are all struggling and nobody is taking up the offers .

....not surprised....apart from the quarantine hotel the rest around us...big chains....are all fully mothballed, pools drained, the lot.

Our condo has 14 rooms on most floors......there are only two or three rooms occupied on our floor......guess the rest are the same.......great for us...crippling for the economy.

The vast majority of 'tourists' do not stay 'one to three months'.  The vast majority stay one to two weeks and they like to TOUR different areas--hence the name 'tourist'.  Someone staying 3 months is more of a semi-resident.  This latest scheme might attract some of these people but will not bring large numbers of tourists in to help the industry.  Likely it will be as unsuccessful as the SVT scheme.  Back to the drawing board.  

• Like 1

The Aetas Lumpini Hotel has been mothballed now for 1 year here in Bangkok, pool still full, and every few days I see a Van roll into the closed off front driveway Area, and a few ladies in housekeeping uniforms get out, walk through a side entrance and then about 9 hours later they leave with several large trash bags, probably full of the dirty rags used to dust the place as well as vacuuming up after the Ghosts who must be happily enjoying the place.  I really wonder if they also have an engineer or two show up and run the equipment.  Really sad, as they had a good restaurant and bar inside, and a nice buffet.

• Like 2

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

The Aetas Lumpini Hotel has been mothballed now for 1 year here in Bangkok, pool still full, and every few days I see a Van roll into the closed off front driveway Area, and a few ladies in housekeeping uniforms get out, walk through a side entrance and then about 9 hours later they leave with several large trash bags, probably full of the dirty rags used to dust the place as well as vacuuming up after the Ghosts who must be happily enjoying the place.  I really wonder if they also have an engineer or two show up and run the equipment.  Really sad, as they had a good restaurant and bar inside, and a nice buffet.

Shrimp?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

So dear tourists, once you are in your quarantine hotel, you will have to be granted permission by an official to leave...

I bet that will cost!

I bet that will be understood by any possible visitors!

I bet that they will not come!

It's quarantine Jim, but not as we know it!

I would bet that most tourist, do not know what “granted permission” by a “Thai Official” means.  I was here a year before I learned my lesson that it means you must find a third party with special envelopes that can facilitate your bribe for their kind execution of their job. I would be hesitant  to know what the numbers would be according to the identity politic applied.

12 hours ago, impulse said:

Good luck getting the jabs.  Most of us were on a waiting list for weeks before our call came.  On the day I was getting my first jab, they were sending people home who had come for their 2nd, rescheduling them 2-3 weeks later.  Supply chain problems.  My 2nd jab is scheduled for 3 weeks after my first. We'll see.

You may luck out and end up where the J&J one jab vaccine is available, but I wouldn't count on it.  It's pretty much luck of the draw.  My siblings got Moderna.  I got Pfizer.  Same city, different days and different hospitals.  There was no choice- take it or leave it.

Americans don't get "jabs." They get "shots."

3 hours ago, RichardL said:

The kind of tourists who stay for 2-3 months are backpackers, who don't typically have the cash to pay luxury hotel prices for two weeks at the start of a trip.

In a covid-free world, I'd have almost certainly been in Thailand right now. As it is, I'm hoping next year will be OK.

Snowbirds that stay 3 to 6months 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, madmen said:

Snowbirds that stay 3 to 6months 

Any northerner who migrates to southern states, namely Florida, during the winter months. Recognizable by poor driving habits, pale skin, and funny accents. Snowbirds can often be seen wearing shoes on the beach or blocking traffic by driving 5 under on major roads. Did you see that snowbird try to surf !?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1