Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Nail gun for shera wood?


Recommended Posts

want to cover roof over as the insulation is peeling away. It's about 3x5 meters and was quoted 10k for labour so thought I'd do it myself. What type and gauge nail gun could be used into metal bars, what about the nail material? Watched them do it at the back of the house and it looked easy and quick but never used a nail gun, few hundred baht on Lazada. I was thinking of panels 0.8x 120x 240

 

roof.jpg

Edited by Orton Rd
Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not use a nailgun on Shera . Any fibrecement does not like to be knocked on in any form or shape . The thing you should look at are self drilling screws . If you are using the 0.8 panels , i would suggest something like this type , or a size bigger ( 25mm-35mm i suggest )

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/100-1-25-screw-i330234005-s634330116.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.4.3b2621edx0vgtK&search=1

screwed on the U shaped thin steel profiles  ( they are slightly ribbed , very thin available in all hardware stores ). They are cheap also . The Shera will be the most expensive part . Be sure to have a helping hand , since shera is very brittle and will break very easy .

I heard , and this im not sure off , but i can imagine it to be true , is to avoid problems with breaking/cracking panels later on , you pre-drill the hole in the Shera . Maybe somebody knows more about that , but anyway it is a pretty easy job .

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10,000 THB is $330. Given that you have no experience at all in this sort of things. Are you seriously gonna risk ending up at the hospital with a nail through your hand? Or risk messing it up and having to replace the entire roof over 330 USD? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheraply is very very heavy, I used a masonary bit to predrill and angle grinder to cut it. 

 

I used this in a shower application.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sezze said:

Do not use a nailgun on Shera . Any fibrecement does not like to be knocked on in any form or shape . The thing you should look at are self drilling screws . If you are using the 0.8 panels , i would suggest something like this type , or a size bigger ( 25mm-35mm i suggest )

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/100-1-25-screw-i330234005-s634330116.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.4.3b2621edx0vgtK&search=1

screwed on the U shaped thin steel profiles  ( they are slightly ribbed , very thin available in all hardware stores ). They are cheap also . The Shera will be the most expensive part . Be sure to have a helping hand , since shera is very brittle and will break very easy .

I heard , and this im not sure off , but i can imagine it to be true , is to avoid problems with breaking/cracking panels later on , you pre-drill the hole in the Shera . Maybe somebody knows more about that , but anyway it is a pretty easy job .

 

Thanks for the advice, my original thought was to pre drill the wood and maybe get a smaller pieces as it is heavy stuff, useless for fencing, snaps off too easy but ok for roofing etc

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ctxa said:

10,000 THB is $330. Given that you have no experience at all in this sort of things. Are you seriously gonna risk ending up at the hospital with a nail through your hand? Or risk messing it up and having to replace the entire roof over 330 USD? 

That is a rather ridiculous idea.

 

Despite the fact that a nail gun is the wrong tool to use for sherawood, incidents involving nail guns are virtually all attributable to laziness, stupidity, or inattention to safety, take your time and be careful and you will be safe.

 

certainly screws are the correct tools for the job.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We had two nail gun accidents in the twenty years I managed a plant here. The first time, a guy nailed his foot/shoe to a pallet. The second time, THE SAME GUY nailed his foot/shoe to a pallet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

We had two nail gun accidents in the twenty years I managed a plant here. The first time, a guy nailed his foot/shoe to a pallet. The second time, THE SAME GUY nailed his foot/shoe to a pallet.

So the guy did learn something? How long apart were the accident and incident? (I don’t really think the second one should be called an accident) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

All the decorative Shera on our home was put up using an air-nailer, either into the rendered walls or, for the soffits, into lightweight steel frames (the same stuff used for suspended ceilings). Nothing shattered, nothing has fallen down (after 9 years), just small holes to fill where they were visible (most are hidden by the overlaps).

 

The roof in our OP would certainly need a sub-structure to support the Shera board. We did something similar using thick (15mm IIRC) Shera planks screwed to the roof structure as the supports with the actual ceiling planks (not board) air-nailed to those.

 

I don't think an electric or battery nailer would have the necessary oomph but I've never actually tried one. That air unit is another one of those tools that you never knew you needed until you had one.

 

And I would echo the above comments on safety if you do start messing around with these tools. Both hands on the tool (no holding the work in your hand, you will get nailed to it), wear eye protection.  Safety First!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

So the guy did learn something? How long apart were the accident and incident? (I don’t really think the second one should be called an accident) 

 

About a year apart. Dude was one of my best workers too...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...