Unnecessary Shouting - (your views)

I am interested in other folks' views regarding the subject of Unnecessary Shouting.

By and large people do tend to respect each others personal space - however, as an example, you can be (say) sat in a bar enjoying a chilled beer when two people come into the bar and they sit down together (well within 'touching distance' of each other) 

and shout into each others faces. It matters not that the subject matter of what they are shouting about to each other is (in your opinion) of a "confidential nature" and is of zero interest to you; you are nevertheless an unwilling captive audience and you are forced to listen to every detail about their hemorrhoids - (or whatever?) This isirrespective of the shouters' nationalities - "we" all of us seem to do it - (and Leo does

seem to increase the shouters volume).

Yes, yes, yes, I know - "pay up and move to another bar" or "buy ear plugs" & etc - - -but I am not asking for an answer to this Pattaya shouting phenomena only opinions.

There is no answer .....     

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"actonion" you have my sincerest and profound sympathies.

In the past I have had friends with severe hearing problems.

One man (a work colleague) was totally deaf - but he had the talent of lip reading.

Another, a girlfriend, suffered an extreme form of Tinnitus. 

It would drive her crazy at times, so much so that she gnawed off the top digit of

one of her fingers in an attempt to quell the agrivation of the continuous 'popping'

in her ears ... but my post was titled "Unnecessary Shouting"

Good Luck and Stay Safe  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I sympathise ( I'm partially deaf myself and hate wearing a hearing aid ), does it not occur to you that going to a public place and shouting is somewhat antisocial? Can you not write things down that have to be conveyed, and keep the shouting till in your own space?

I used to visit my aunt and when she was past age 80 I had to yell for her to hear. She was lonely and loved to be taken out to eat and she loved to talk. Writing notes when your fingers are covered with hot-wing sauce is less than convenient. I had to talk so loud the entire restaurant could hear me and probably people up and down the block. I didn't feel 'antisocial', maybe embarrassed at times, but she was my aunt and I was happy to do it.

However, in general I do agree that loud people are annoying and inconsiderate of others.

Edited by ColeBOzbourne
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I sympathise ( I'm partially deaf myself and hate wearing a hearing aid ), does it not occur to you that going to a public place and shouting is somewhat antisocial? Can you not write things down that have to be conveyed, and keep the shouting till in your own space?

Or wear hearing aids or learn sign language? 

8 hours ago, WildBillHiccup said:

I am interested in other folks' views regarding the subject of Unnecessary Shouting.

By and large people do tend to respect each others personal space - however, as an example, you can be (say) sat in a bar enjoying a chilled beer when two people come into the bar and they sit down together (well within 'touching distance' of each other) 

and shout into each others faces. It matters not that the subject matter of what they are shouting about to each other is (in your opinion) of a "confidential nature" and is of zero interest to you; you are nevertheless an unwilling captive audience and you are forced to listen to every detail about their hemorrhoids - (or whatever?) This isirrespective of the shouters' nationalities - "we" all of us seem to do it - (and Leo does

Yes, yes, yes, I know - "pay up and move to another bar" or "buy ear plugs" & etc - - -but I am not asking for an answer to this Pattaya shouting phenomena only opinions.

There is no answer .....     

Were these people Spams? They always talk like that.

8 hours ago, actonion said:

I speak louder than  a normal person would ,,  and i do get strange looks from those close by,  BUT  i have a severe Hearing problem  understanding speech,  i have to wear 2 hearing aids  which is not a nice experience either &  unless you have this hearing problem you will not understand why  I  / others have to raise my/ their  voice/s...

I know how you feel I suffer from industrial deafness and have to wear 2 hearing aids as well

8 hours ago, actonion said:

I speak louder than  a normal person would ,,  and i do get strange looks from those close by,  BUT  i have a severe Hearing problem  understanding speech,  i have to wear 2 hearing aids  which is not a nice experience either &  unless you have this hearing problem you will not understand why  I  / others have to raise my/ their  voice/s...

I don't suppose that you live somewhere close to Hans Schnitzel do you ????????? 

you can be (say) sat in a bar

Was you sat or was you stood? Were they sitting or were they standing and were they shouting in English??

Edited by PatOngo

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

OMG......my pet hate (along with many others)......why oh why do people think I want too hear what they have to say. They are arrogant, stupid and annoying....if there was no law against murder. oh dear .......By nation...can we say??? Americans, Italians, British....worst offenders by far.

Next pet hate on a par with this...people who put their phones on loud speaker (and then have to shout to be heard)....arrrggghhh.

Well Thais can be so obnoxious on bus in Starbucks they really don’t care Phone on Max ringers on busses or music blasting at 3:00am on a bus and having a lovely conversation while you try to sleep 

• Haha 1

but I am not asking for an answer to this Pattaya shouting phenomena only opinions.

Sadly it's not just a Pattaya phenomenon...

There are whole countries - which shall remain nameless - where the normal speaking volume of the loudest 10-20% of the population would be considered shouting in many other places.

And even where this is not the case, there are unusually loud people. I was in airport at 4am trying to get some sleep (as any reasonable person might expect) when a pair of extremely loud northern Chinese blokes turned up. Nowhere left to move to in a Chinese airport at 4am...

9 hours ago, WildBillHiccup said:

There is no answer .....     

why bars were closed all over the world, drunks yak too loud and spread the pox..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

OMG......my pet hate (along with many others)......why oh why do people think I want too hear what they have to say. They are arrogant, stupid and annoying....if there was no law against murder. oh dear .......By nation...can we say??? Americans, Italians, British....worst offenders by far.

Next pet hate on a par with this...people who put their phones on loud speaker (and then have to shout to be heard)....arrrggghhh.

i see that a lot in malaysia. Quiet bar and a phone call on speaker like i care. Annoys me.

Get a group of chinese together. Starts ok, within the hour it seems the louder they yabber the more important it is.

In a bar i expect it. Restaurant no.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

i see that a lot in malaysia. Quiet bar and a phone call on speaker like i care. Annoys me.

Get a group of chinese together. Starts ok, within the hour it seems the louder they yabber the more important it is.

In a bar i expect it. Restaurant no.

Sat in a big restaurant in Roermond, Netherlands......me and the wife the only customers.....woman comes in sits at the table right next to us....phone out, straight onto loudspeaker......what, if anything, goes through their tiny little minds.

Happens here in my condo...sat by the pool....nice and quiet.....bang...... phone out, onto loudspeaker......W.T.F.

Could someone reading this, who is guilty of doing the same, please explain why do you do it???????

We have a lot of shouters and people with no volume control in our neighbourhood. I'm not sure why people sitting next to each other need to talk loud enough to hear from 100 metres away. In Thailand, I think it is all those years of exposure to loud music.

Maybe it is just because I am a quietly spoken person. I won't travel in the car with some of my wife's friends because they are so loud I will get a headache. 

7 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Sat in a big restaurant in Roermond, Netherlands......me and the wife the only customers.....woman comes in sits at the table right next to us....phone out, straight onto loudspeaker......what, if anything, goes through their tiny little minds.

Happens here in my condo...sat by the pool....nice and quiet.....bang...... phone out, onto loudspeaker......W.T.F.

Could someone reading this, who is guilty of doing the same, please explain why do you do it???????

maybe to prove to the world they are important enough to receive a phone call? I agree, more noise pollution we do not need..