Any 6 feet (180 cm) people finding themselves too tall in Thailand?

On 3/5/2021 at 3:19 AM, RamenRaven said:

I feel like I'm in a dollhouse, or somewhere down the rabbit hole in Alice in Wonderland.

I totally understand

but just think of all those amusement rides that most Thai people never get to go on...  ????

image.png.5523d5c314b1549b4c16ae49284cca53.png

• Sad 1

I think most Thais are at or over 150 cm, except for the short old ladies and some of the older village men.

But Many Burmese, Cambodian, Laotians, Vietnamese are under 150 cm. You know Thais actually like to gleefully point out how they're shorter than the average Thai person!

On 3/5/2021 at 10:05 AM, ezzra said:

Never mind too tall, i had few ladies quipping "Oh too big, too big" not much i can do about that is it now?...

Better than "why you so tall but that is so small" ????

5 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Markets, bus seats and shop front awnings are indeed designed for midgets.

The same goes for furniture in condos and hotels, including chairs, tables, kitchen sinks, shower heads.

Doors of rooms or condos.

BTS, cannot stand upright, cannot walk upright through the door.

Worst are the origami-taxis: you have to fold up your body to squeeze inside. Subarus even worse.

Motorcycles, farangs on rented Honda Waves look just ridiculous.

BTW subways in the West aren't any higher than the BTS. Most men from a place like Amsterdam won't fit upright through Western subway doors. Furniture, cars etc in the West are made in Asia, by Asians, for Asians and according to Asian standards.

• 5 months later...

I'm 195/6'4" and haven't run into any significant problems over the years....

I do have to watch my head at the CM Buffalo Market as some of the roofs have to be ducked under....Since I might go once or twice a year it's not a real concern....

Had one ride in a 10 passenger van that was cramped; but I think that would happen no matter the country....

Buying shirts where the shoulders and chest fit & it doesn't balloon out at the waist + finding decent shoes/choices is more a challenge than doorways, chairs, etc. while knocking around....

13 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

I'm 195/6'4" and haven't run into any significant problems over the years....

I do have to watch my head at the CM Buffalo Market as some of the roofs have to be ducked under....Since I might go once or twice a year it's not a real concern....

Had one ride in a 10 passenger van that was cramped; but I think that would happen no matter the country....

Buying shirts where the shoulders and chest fit & it doesn't balloon out at the waist + finding decent shoes/choices is more a challenge than doorways, chairs, etc. while knocking around....

Best one for me is right next to Royal Peninsula Hotel --up from NE corner of old city....a whole line of shops...

On 3/5/2021 at 3:55 AM, RamenRaven said:

If the average male height is 175 cm, 180 cm will feel like just slightly above average, so you still blend in just fine. In practical terms, it feels like average.

So, someone like me walking around in the UK would perfectly fit in height-wise.

Not like in much of Thailand, where you literally stick out.

I'm 175cm, so about average height, but if I go to the Netherlands I feel like a dwarf.

I am just barely 180 cm tall, and yes, I find there are many places that have awnings or other things that I have to duck under. However, I also see more and more young Thai men, and even some women occasionally, that are as tall or taller than me.

On 3/5/2021 at 3:44 AM, RamenRaven said:

XL or 2XL Thai clothes all fit me.

Secondhand street market clothing fits me too.

2XL is like an american L in Thailand.I have 2 polo shirts from Ralph Lauren,one is from the USA size XL and fights perfect,the other is from Central 3XL and it is very tight

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2021 at 10:54 AM, sanuk711 said:

I am nearly 6ft---not really any problems-----Shoes, are a problem, always have hunt for the size 11....or 46...  even Lazada runs out of those sizes quickly.

Shoes have been my problem all my life, + in many Countries not just Thailand, here is better as cheap to have made. 47 or 48........ hight not a problem for me  1.89, been tall since a early age + we lived in Farmhouse cottages so got use to ducking as a kid.

I am not that tall at 185cm and never had an issue, quite the opposite when catching trains MRT etc and standing up I can see over peoples heads ???? only issue is aircraft in cattle class , sit like a frog but the worst of that was in the US decades ago.

Hate it at the markets forever catching my head on umbrellas or worse. At the fishing park have to be very careful the shelters from the sun are about 170cm high and they don't take prisoners(ouch!). Struggle finding shoes and socks mostly, as I wear only shorts don't have to worry about long trousers.

Years ago a friend bought a small cottage in a village in England dated around 1750 and you had to duck through every doorway, people get taller with each generation due to better diet. Thais are just getting milk and other proteins this will make them taller over the coming years, may take a couple of hundred years though.

On 3/5/2021 at 9:48 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

2nd hand! Yep  I get western size and cheap price and donate it when I leave..also just come there with a carry on bag! ????

Yes what is it with these rows of jeans on hangers by the roadside , where do they come from ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

Hate it at the markets forever catching my head on umbrellas or worse. At the fishing park have to be very careful the shelters from the sun are about 170cm high and they don't take prisoners(ouch!). Struggle finding shoes and socks mostly, as I wear only shorts don't have to worry about long trousers.

Years ago a friend bought a small cottage in a village in England dated around 1750 and you had to duck through every doorway, people get taller with each generation due to better diet. Thais are just getting milk and other proteins this will make them taller over the coming years, may take a couple of hundred years though.

I came here from Plymouth and there is a village called Tamerton Foliot where the oldest pub in Plymouth and environs is called The Seven Stars , the bar is the right height but the ceiling is about 6" above the average head height , I wonder if tall folk avoid this pub. I believe the pub to be 600 years old. Have to google to be sure.

20 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Yes what is it with these rows of jeans on hangers by the roadside , where do they come from ?

My guess is charity aka here in the states we have goodwill shops--then it goes to a GW warehouse where u buy by the pound-weight, then I assume goes to 3rd world...thai--etc......as the stock keeps rolling in.......Im all about GW shops as you can find some real deals.....just got a nice pair of keens all terrain for LOS  $7(100 new)

Not sure of your issue.  I live in the northeast and have found the exterior doors as well as all the interior doors to be at least 200CM high doors.  This includes resorts too.  Maybe the entry ways in the old Thai farm village homes to be a little shorter but most farang don't spend any real time there.  All the beds I have seen are at least 6' by 6'6" (king-sized).

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 9:41 AM, nikmar said:

im 190cm - the only trouble i have is buying jeans. 

I am 190cm and I don't buy jeans here.

But I don't have problems same as the OP at all except sometimes urinals are made for dwarfs up in the sticks!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fceligoj said:

Not sure of your issue.  I live in the northeast and have found the exterior doors as well as all the interior doors to be at least 200CM high doors.  This includes resorts too.  Maybe the entry ways in the old Thai farm village homes to be a little shorter but most farang don't spend any real time there.  All the beds I have seen are at least 6' by 6'6" (king-sized).

I agree,

and that's my bed size too, I have had a few problems getting linen to fit with a good mattress and a topper but that's another story.