Prisoners Put to Work in Thai Factories Desperate for Labor

webfact

2 minutes ago, djayz said:

Although I'm not opposed to the idea of prisoners working for their upkeep, I have to wonder what happened to all those who lost their jobs in the hospitality industry over the past year? Are they overskilled, underskilled or simply too good for this kind of work? 

I believe that under the prisoners there will be skilled locksmiths, chemists, security experts, car mechanics. I don't think the hospitality sector has many of them

7 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

The Thais have certainly vastly out performed their SEA cousins. Very smart people the Thais.

What you mean like Malaysia and Singapore?

Oh , maybe you mean they have done better than Myanmar,Laos & Cambodia.

I can feel the pride waiting to erupt. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just like Prison industries for the California Department of Corrections has been doing for years.  Making stuff for the State.

Not just California - many American penitenaries are selling the labour of their inmates for cash, making those inmates forced labour in contravention of slave labour laws at home and abroad. 

10 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Are you on the payroll or something .. 

If not you should be .. 

I'm surprised he hasn't posted, or used as his avatar, pictures of Prayuth, or would that be too obvious?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

There are enough lazy Thai Males laying around up North to fill up ten factories with workers while their Wives/Girlfriends slave away in the Local Markets fom 4am to 8pm every day of the week to provide food for the family plus Beer and Smokes for the Men   It's time Thailand got its own Men working instead of relying on Foreign Slave Labour !

My lady friend works in a factory in Pathum thani making parts for the motor industry, most 

of her co workers are female, her sister works in a factory down in Amata city and again most 

of the workers on the factory floor are female.

I am not qualified to generalise about what the young men do, I'm happy to leave that to the 

experts, but a hell of a lot of physical work, whether it be factory, construction or agricultural 

seems to be done by the women.

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I would say this is a good idea, but my previous experience with such work for prisoners is that they do not actually get paid the going rate, or even close to it. Nong Plalai prison near Pattaya pays factory working inmates 40 Baht a day, leaving me suspicious that the factory owners and prison officials are pocketing the balance.

Surely not!

I mean, no Thai would do that to another Thai?

I thought that such corruption had been rooted out...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just like Prison industries for the California Department of Corrections has been doing for years.  Making stuff for the State.

In many countries, prisons not only make stuff for the "state", they make furniture for retailers, welding and steel filing cabinets, powder coating for industry, clothing in some instances although mostly now it is outsourced to developing nations. 

Some develop skills which will assist them to find work outside, however I think the best thing that could occur would be education and addressing literacy issues.

If using "slave prison labour" pay a decent wage into a trust account for assistance upon release,  after all the corrective services and the industry owners are profiting from enforced labour.