Eliminating mosquito and drain-fly breeding from bathroom drain?

davidupatterson

Hey all, 

I seem to find a dozen new mosquitoes a day in my bathroom lately, along with the occasional drain fly. They've been a nuisance and I'd like to get rid of them. I'm not 100% sure the mosquitoes are coming from my drain, but I keep the house tightly sealed and I only see them in the bathroom. This leads me to believe that they might be living/breeding in there. 

For context, I was out of the country for about a year and just recently got back about a month ago. My guess is that mosquitoes may have taken up residence inside the shower drain while I was away. 

Any experience with getting rid of them? I tried dumping vinegar down the drain and some bleach as well. Neither has proved successful thus far. 

Home Pro sell a strong deodorising disinfectant, white plastic container with a pink label.  I pour this stuff neat into all the drains and sinks in the house, leave for an hour then follow that with boiling hot water. I do this once a week .  Seems to do the trick, or at least help, as I have no creepies or flying stuff in the house. 

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Home Pro sell a strong deodorising disinfectant, white plastic container with a pink label.  I pour this stuff neat into all the drains and sinks in the house, leave for an hour then follow that with boiling hot water. I do this once a week .  Seems to do the trick, or at least help, as I have no creepies or flying stuff in the house. 

Thanks. Is it specifically designed for pests or more just of a disinfectant? 

17 hours ago, KC 71 said:

I know i am stating the obvious (sorry),

but i usually stick something over the top of the drain cover whilst it is nit needed.

Yes, I had thought of this too but would rather find a way to eliminate them if possible. 

11 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

Screenshot_20210305_215058_com.lazada.android.jpg

I researched these a bit. What are they called in English, i.e. what should I search for on Lazada? 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

They breed in standing water. I think if you just flood the drains everyday for a few days they should be gone.

Thanks. What's the best way to flood the drain? 

4 minutes ago, davidupatterson said:

Thanks. Is it specifically designed for pests or more just of a disinfectant? 

Yes, I had thought of this too but would rather find a way to eliminate them if possible. 

I researched these a bit. What are they called in English, i.e. what should I search for on Lazada? 

Thanks. What's the best way to flood the drain? 

Just pour water into them, Also if you want to kill the larvae stage....buy something called Temephos..can get it on Lazada. I use it in outside drains in the driveway.

• Like 1