Thai ID card

I have a friend who lives in Thailand. She holds a Laos passport. She is married to a Thai man (No paperwork) but they have very little contact with each other.

They have 2 children together (12 and 14) and the children live with other family members.

The children have Thai ID cards and they have a good relationship with their mother.

I would like to ask this question before employing the services of a lawyer.

Can she apply for a full Thai ID card? What paperwork might she need? Cost?

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The only way she could get Thai nationality would be to apply for it and go through long process that all others have to go through.

Whatever the process is, I guess would be easier if she contacted some kind of agent for this.

Any suggestions?

Is the process easier for someone from another ASEAN country?

Sorry about all the questions.

To get a Thai ID card she would either have to:

1. Be formally married and have the support of her husband throughout the process, or

2. Apply on her own cognisance, which would require gaining permanent residence first (which is a task all in itself).

Importantly, I believe Laos nationals are only allowed to hold one citizenship, so gaining Thai citizenship may possibly be problematic.

4 minutes ago, jaiyenyen said:

Whatever the process is, I guess would be easier if she contacted some kind of agent for this.

Any suggestions?

Is the process easier for someone from another ASEAN country?

Sorry about all the questions.

An agent can hardly help at all in these situations. You either qualify, or you do not. There is no way to circumvent the process, which takes years to complete.

There are extremely long topics in this forum where members have shared their entire, years long journey through the citizenship process.

By far the quickest way would be if she was formally married to a Thai citizen and he fully supported her application.

Don't get a lawyer, total waste of money. 

Get married, then it's an easy process, as long as her husband is working.

Having a Thai ID card makes life so much easier here. Forget the pink ID card, waste of time and not a Thai ID card as so many wrongly assume. 

11 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

My wife is pushing me to get a pink ID........I asked her what are the benefits...she said no idea.....is it worth it? I am a Brit living her None O-A marriage.

I'm not sure it is. I've lived here 15 years without one. I just use my Thai driving license for proof of ID. If there were medical benefits like before, then I'd probably get one.

10 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

My wife is pushing me to get a pink ID........I asked her what are the benefits...she said no idea.....is it worth it? I am a Brit living her None O-A marriage.

This is taking the OP off topic and for every protagonist for getting a pink alien's ID card, there's an equal amount of antagonists.

If you already have a Yellow Book, that should suffice for most of the circumstances where evidence of an aliens domicile in Thailand is required. Neither the Yellow Book nor the pink alien's ID card confer any rights and they're primarily just proof of address that some Immigration and Driving License offices accept.

If your Amphur's office easily processes a pink aliens ID card and you want something to do, then why not?

Archived