Songkran 2021: Last year was a "washout" but this year looks just as gloomy

webfact

5 hours ago, Sydneyboy1 said:

There will be a Songkran in Thailand.  Maybe not at Pattaya,  Phuket and other tourist areas but go to a thai village/town where there is very few falang and the party will be in full swing.  

Absolutely spot on ..

This year the party will be big , for those fools who wish to denegrate what is a wonderful custom., Really ? 

If you don't like it , self isolate by choice and question what you are doing here . This year will no doubt be BIG loud and bright , it's a great festival , embrace it , or lock yourself up , but don't be critical , you have a choice .

• Like 1

Well, that's 2 Songkrans effectively cancelled against a supposed death toll of 85 people, which is such a small figure that it essentially meaningless against the background noise of normal deaths from old age, or other complaints. For comparison, almost 400 UK citizens die each year in Thailand, for one reason or another.

Supporters of lockdowns and the destruction of Thailand's tourist industry will reply that if there hadn't been lockdowns and border closures, the death toll would have been way higher.

It's a claim which may or may not be true; but there is no evidence for it at all; in fact, there cannot be any evidence for it, as no country did that experiment.

Governments around the world have been so good in following China's apocalyptic hazmat lockdown policy that they have petrified their citizens into believing that we are facing something akin to the Black Death.

The reckoning will come this year and next year, as the ruinous consequences of these policies manifest themselves, in ways that will be surprising, may be anarchic, and quite possibly violent.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Sydneyboy1 said:

There will be a Songkran in Thailand.  Maybe not at Pattaya,  Phuket and other tourist areas but go to a thai village/town where there is very few falang and the party will be in full swing.  

We can only hope not.

6 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

I know there are a few people in this forum that will be happy about the demise of Songkran for another year. I am not one of them! I enjoy a bit of fun and while being soaked with ice cold water is not my ideal cup of tea, it is only once a year. I do know how to avoid t if I don't like it. But I am thinking of those whose business woes get little respite given their problems for more than an entire year already.

I think also of the children who love their Songkran and for the activities of throwing water over everything that moves is so exciting for them when at any other time it's obviously no go!

Songkran - where you can let your hair down a bit - if you have any!

Songkran 2015.JPG

So why do you think so many old farts on here every year act like it’s the end of the world?  These people have a year to make plans if they don’t want to participate and stay home or go elsewhere. Then there are the motorcycle guys who freak out if water is splashed on them but they go out anyways “ because it’s my right I’m a angry geezer “ but those same people can rent a car for a couple days or a week.  It’s a great fun unique holiday that most big complainers have not even tried out in the last 10 or more years to feel how fun it is!! 

10 hours ago, Artisi said:

Certainly agree to a point, unfortunately it has got completely out of hand and now only viewed as a massive income source - it certainly needs pulling back into line and treated as it should be - nothing wrong with a few street parades and water throwing, but within reason.

Yes,I agree  "within reason" but how you achieve that is the problem.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

I know there are a few people in this forum that will be happy about the demise of Songkran for another year. I am not one of them! I enjoy a bit of fun and while being soaked with ice cold water is not my ideal cup of tea, it is only once a year. I do know how to avoid t if I don't like it. But I am thinking of those whose business woes get little respite given their problems for more than an entire year already.

I think also of the children who love their Songkran and for the activities of throwing water over everything that moves is so exciting for them when at any other time it's obviously no go!

Songkran - where you can let your hair down a bit - if you have any!

Songkran 2015.JPG

Looks like Friday bath time.