Video: Thai teacher loses it when the kids didn't complete their work - throws book out the window and slaps another

webfact

Video: Thai teacher loses it when the kids didn't complete their work - throws book out the window and slaps another

6pm.jpg

A video posted online showed a M5 (late secondary) Thai language school teacher lose her temper at a school in Khon Kaen.

The high school children had not all completed their work.

She tosses one book out the window in a rage and then slaps a student who didn't complete their assignment.

The post talked of the school not being a safe environment any more and reported shoes being thrown, books being torn up and water being tossed.

The director of the school responded by removing her from teaching duties in M5 and finding a  replacement. The local education authority were informed so that a way forward could be found.

The teacher was contrite saying she was "mai sabai jai" uncomfortable after seeing the secretly filmed footage online. 

She appologised for losing her temper. 

Students didn't want to take the matter further and indicated that the teacher was usually a good sort who went over the top on this occasion. 

They advised her to be "jai yen yen" (more relaxed) in future suggesting she should be given a second chance. 

Source: One31

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, darksidedog said:

Yet another masterful display by one of those supposedly charged with helping kids to grow and mature into responsible adults.

Yes and then you wonder how much truth there is in saying that she normally does not do this. Maybe students been coached to say this as not to let this get bigger. Or it really was a one off. But you have to wonder in Thailand.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What are all those kids doing videoing with their phones in the classroom

In case they're assaulted or sexually abused by the Thai teachers. Being able to produce video evidence means they be able to get an apologetic wai from the teacher, before everyone continues on as normal. 

• Haha 1

A post with a reply within the quoted post has been removed.  Please learn to reply to a post without making your reply within the quoted post. 

A post with a video from an unapproved source has been removed. 

52 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What are all those kids doing videoing with their phones in the classroom

Exactly right!  Students in Thailand are incredibly lazy and while I do not condone the striking of children, it can be a very thankless job where you get an earful because they fail tests, but the little turds won't even try for you.

Teaching in this country is a massive waste of time and energy in a system that rewards laziness and the easy way out. (cutting corners)  ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

The truth is, these outbursts, which admittedly can sometimes get out of hand, are nevertheless often a sign of a teacher who gives a rat's a$$ about their pupil's education.

Or, conversely, the sign of an untrained 'teacher' prone to fits of rage with sadistic tendencies and delusions of grandeur. 

You can dress it up in whatever way you like to fit your own narrative. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Are teachers who follow such a strategy preferable to those who are passionate about teaching and sometimes resort to unconventional tactics to motivate their students?

Unfortunately - Yes.

I am regarded as a trouble maker in my Uni because I bring their attention to the student's shortfalls and the department as well. I have learned to keep it to myself. ????

At my school in the UK, beatings were handed out daily and I mean real beatings. This teacher had a hissy fit but harmed no one. If I'd been in her class I'd have just laughed. besides she's kinda cute, probably a hit with the boys.

I've seen many examples of real abuse by teachers in Thailand including my own son who was beaten by a teacher when he was 5 years old, however this is not one of those examples. The teacher needs help, reduce her class size and offer training so that she has the ability to do her job. A Valium after breakfast might also help, teaching can be very stressful.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

She's quite a good shot with those books ????.

She doesn't really slap the kid either, more of a symbolic gesture that a lot of Thai women do to show displeasure with someone.

Not very professional, but I'd say a stern/final warning is OK in this case.

Agree, she doesn't appear to be one of those main abusers that slaps or throws coffee mugs at kids, she was having one of those bad month days, clearly showing in her mood.

I wouldn't be a teacher for quid's, I was slapped across the face when I was about 6 or 7, can't say I deserved it, but can understand a teachers frustrations, but violence isn't the answer. Even been asked to teach English here, told the Principal that I would be the last person here you would want to teach the kids, just ask my kids (4) I said, and her reply being, we need someone strong, like you who can discipline the kids, I said, solly, I suffer enough guilt trying to discipline mine, who knows what mental damage they will suffer when they grow up......lol 

• Haha 1

Had a similar incident in a school I taught at a couple of years ago.....she never hit the kid but shredded his book into pieces and dumped it on the desk in front of him.......up until then she had been extremely competent and very professional......turned out she was physically sick every morning before coming to school as she was so fearful and hated teaching so much......she now trains teachers!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

A Thai adult acting like a 4 year old.

Groundbreaking news. 

Don't think you know a lot about the students behavior and the education system here. She is just frustrated and fed-up. some classes can be better or worse than others. The kids are put into classes based on their learning ability.,

Edited by holy cow cm

34 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I don't think people realize the realities of teaching in Thailand. How would you handle it if all but one or two students in the class refused to ever do their homework which is what it looks like is happening here? Would you use class time to do the homework they should have done at home? Fine, but then the teacher can't cover the planned curriculum, and is under increasing pressure as they fall behind.

Almost every teacher is confronted with this problem. Many stop giving out homework assignments entirely or with a wink and a nod find "creative" ways to pass students who haven't done a stick of homework, sporadically come to class, and have failed all the tests. Teachers like this never lose their temper, never discipline the kids, never get called on the carpet. Are teachers who follow such a strategy preferable to those who are passionate about teaching and sometimes resort to unconventional tactics to motivate their students? I don't think so.

The truth is, these outbursts, which admittedly can sometimes get out of hand, are often a sign of a teacher who gives a rat's a$$ about their pupil's education.

I always tried to push for a change in policy.....fruitless as a minion.

I wanted a clear, agreed program of homework established for each pupil, which would be conveyed to the parents and the responsibility for completion of homework placed on the parents.

Come results time.......well what did you expect?....you never once got them to complete their homework...job done.

that is assault, she needs to be charged and the student given a fail mark but being Thailand it would cause too much loss of face for both

Edited by seajae