Video: Thai teacher loses it when the kids didn't complete their work - throws book out the window and slaps another

webfact

56 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I don't think people realize the realities of teaching in Thailand. How would you handle it if all but one or two students in the class refused to ever do their homework which is what it looks like is happening here? Would you use class time to do the homework they should have done at home? Fine, but then the teacher can't cover the planned curriculum, and is under increasing pressure as they fall behind.

Almost every teacher is confronted with this problem. Many stop giving out homework assignments entirely or with a wink and a nod find "creative" ways to pass students who haven't done a stick of homework, sporadically come to class, and have failed all the tests. Teachers like this never lose their temper, never discipline the kids, never get called on the carpet. Are teachers who follow such a strategy preferable to those who are passionate about teaching and sometimes resort to unconventional tactics to motivate their students? I don't think so.

The truth is, these outbursts, which admittedly can sometimes get out of hand, are often a sign of a teacher who gives a rat's a$$ about their pupil's education.

Yep with an absolutely! And as I just posted reply to another poster who it is quite clear does not understand the system, students are ranked and then positioned into classes at their supposed level, and this can make the worst class frustrating to say the least as one might have a lot of kids who plainly could care less as they know they will be passed and will graduate. There will always be some good kids in that class though, but it is the ones who don't care and lift a finger, don't pay attention and talk in class making a disruption that outshine the good ones.. 

43 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

sign of a teacher who gives a rat's a$$ about their pupil's education.

Quite right. At my first schools I saw much of the opposite, teachers who spent 90% of their time in the office chat chatting, playing on Facebook, running side businesses. They’d on occasion go to the classrooms to give an assignment, then run back to the office, with most of their “teaching” being to check a stack of notebooks they’d get at the end of each semester.

I know exactly why she’s tossing those notebooks. At one of my first schools I asked a colleague, do we have any spare paper? Most of the students had none, and I wanted them to do a writing exercise. She said oh yeah, and pointed at a stack of notebooks from the previous term. Almost all had only the first two or three pages with anything written on them. The teachers check these, give the mostly blank ones a required, minimum passing score, and extra points to anyone with more. That’s why most students do nothing, and why most teachers don’t care, and thus I had plenty of writing paper. But it looks like this teacher finally had enough.

I’ve been there, when upon giving a simple, planned out lesson with clear parameters, the students don’t even try. All your work is for naught. It’s crushing. I can see how tossing these mostly empty notebooks serves a symbolic, hopefully motivational purpose, that something ought to be in them. Yet this is nothing compared to what else I’ve seen, that served no purpose other than sadism. Like whacking kids with sticks, kicking them on the ground to get them out of the way, and going nuts on their heads with scissors when the haircuts were out of spec. Must be a slow news day to have made a piece out of this one.

• Like 2

What school was it? seems a very mild outburst of frustration.

Remember seeing a male teacher stand three M4 girls up on a table and then whack the <deleted> out of their legs with a cane......in full view of everyone, seemed it was standard practice for him.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I know exactly why she’s tossing those notebooks. At one of my first schools I asked a colleague, do we have any spare paper? Most of the students had none, and I wanted them to do a writing exercise. She said oh yeah, and pointed at a stack of notebooks from the previous term. Almost all had only the first two or three pages with anything written on them. The teachers check these, give the mostly blank ones a required, minimum passing score, and extra points to anyone with more. That’s why most students do nothing, and why most teachers don’t care, and thus I had plenty of writing paper. But it looks like this teacher finally had enough.

I can understand why someone who's never been in a Thai classroom would be appalled by these "caught on tape" videos that surface from time to time. I think people think to themselves 'how hard could teaching be?' which is what I used to think as well.

They probably imagine teaching in a Thai school is a piece of cake. They probably think, with my debonair style, sense of humor, and command of the English language, I'll have those kids eating out of my hand and composing Shakespearean sonnets in no time. I'll have those high school girls so wrapped around my little finger, they'll be begging for extra credit homework assignments. The boys, might be a little bit more of a challenge, but I'll go the father figure route, maybe bond with them out on the soccer field, slowly get them to understand how English will unlock so many untold opportunities in their lives. In no time I'll have them conjugating the future perfect tense in their sleep. And if by some chance, there's one or two who can't quite get with the program...well, that's simple, it'll be parent-teacher conference time, and we'll get that sorted out right quick.

And then reality sets in. Oh? This kid kind of stopped doing homework 5 years ago. Oh? This kid never brings so much as a pencil to class. Oh? This kid only comes to class occasionally. Oh? The parents work in Bangkok and only the grandmother can come to the conference and she can't hear too good? Some of these guys would be calling in sick on the second day of teaching, trying to buy a horsewhip online after a week.

I know you know all this already, but I'm just trying to let others know that there's a huge chasm between what you might imagine is going on in some of these schools and the on-the-ground reality.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thanks 2

what a lot of complaints for the teacher, but has anyone ever stood in front of a class to teach them??? The whole education system here is rotten, Students are always right, can not do wrong, will always pass. It seems they need to be more respected than the teachers. This is an dedicated teacher who want to learn the kids but they don't care  so if you don't want to study you don't need the book and throw them away. I like it... Stupidity to punish the teacher for this. But parents , who can and will not educate their kids in any way, will complain and that is bad for the school image.. The Ministry of education should only accept people who had a long experience in all levels of teaching to reform the whole system, but it easy if you only rule from far away with none experience

• Like 2

They should have a national Spank the Teachers Day; as one person on youtube called it, Spanksgiving Day. All the teachers could line up and students could walk along with a paddle and give each one a wack. It fits here. It's the kind of stuff you'd expect to see in strange news from around the world.

10 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

They should have a national Spank the Teachers Day;

Some of the directors and senior male teachers already have a mutual spanking  arrangement with a few select students usually off premises......

• Like 1