Driving licence renewal today March 5th. 2021 Pattaya

2 hours ago, thoengthaied said:

I was renewing a 5 year licence for the second time and didn't expect that, but it was possibly because of the Covid situation.

There was a report about a recent change of the rule. So now always medical required (which makes sense in a way?).

Also the form for the medical has changed. Some self declaration to be filled.

2 hours ago, thoengthaied said:

appointment for 23rd.

I think you are pretty lucky with "only" 18 days.

And that has likely to do with the Covid situation (managing the crowds, no stuffed rooms or the like).

Member @NanLaew has done a useful contribution:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1207931-medical-for-drivers-licence/?do=findComment&comment=16289768

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thank you KhunBENQ for that link. I had been searching for any up to date info before I went and had missed that post. I would have just popped into a local doctor's shop in Jomtien where I have had the usual very quick medical before at a cost of 100 baht, but now I'm not so sure that they have a "real" doctor there and so I will have to ask for advice about a more legit facility in the area who can issue the required form. 

Does anybody on this forum have recent experience of getting the correct certificate issued in the Pattaya area with the name of the clinic and cost?

My licence is due for renewal, in Bangkok, and I'm wondering what documents they actually require. Medical cert is easy enough, but what about proof of address? Is a lease sufficient? What else do I need?

1 hour ago, Jackson B said:

My licence is due for renewal, in Bangkok, and I'm wondering what documents they actually require. Medical cert is easy enough, but what about proof of address? Is a lease sufficient? What else do I need?

You'll need to get a certificate of residence from Immigration. To do that you'll need a lease if you have one. There are also other docs that they require including photocopies of your passport and latest entry stamps and TM6 departure card. You'll find details on a search through this forum. Sorry but I'm not at my computer right now so cannot be more specific.

• Like 1

At Wednesday's meeting of the Pattaya City Expats Club, I mentioned the new form to a friend of mine whose appointment was the next day (4th March). When he went previously and received his appointment, they told him he would need a medical certificate for his 5 year license renewal. 

I showed him a copy of the new form, part 1 for self certification and part 2 for the doctor's certification. He said the one he rec'd from the doctor was the old version.

He said he would go for his appointment with the old one and hope they would accept it. I asked him to call me and let me know what happened. He telephoned me yesterday and said he presented the old form Medical Certificate and they accepted it without comment - he also mentioned that there were others with the old form and they also rec'd their license.

It seems many doctors/clinics are not yet aware of the new form and, for now, the Banglamung Land Transport Office is accepting the old form -- but how long that will continue - who knows?

Edited by soisanuk
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2021 at 3:00 PM, thoengthaied said:

Thank you KhunBENQ for that link. I had been searching for any up to date info before I went and had missed that post. I would have just popped into a local doctor's shop in Jomtien where I have had the usual very quick medical before at a cost of 100 baht, but now I'm not so sure that they have a "real" doctor there and so I will have to ask for advice about a more legit facility in the area who can issue the required form. 

Does anybody on this forum have recent experience of getting the correct certificate issued in the Pattaya area with the name of the clinic and cost?

Just now, bsa650 said:

I did my 5yr renewal 4th March. Do not concern yourself about the Med Cert you were given by the Doc; they are all using the old previous Cert. B100 cost for car same for m/c Still total confusion, there for 2hrs 30. Absolute joke.

On 3/6/2021 at 12:23 PM, bronzedude said:

Where is the easiest and cheapest place to get a medical certificate done in Pattaya?

I got mine done yesterday at a clinic in Bangkok. It cost 80 baht. Any clinic with a doctor present should be able to certify. Download the form (in Thai) from the DLT.

Edited by Jackson B

I went to the DLT today, armed with lease, other evidence of address, passport, photocopies, and medical certificate.

But no. Must have certificate of residence from Immigration Police. My embassy (AUS) no longer issues affidavits for the purpose of Thai bureaucracy -- and rightly so.

So much for Thailand 4.0 and joined up government. Surely COVID would have spurred them on to make it all electronic. ???? If only...

So, yet another trip to Immigration tomorrow. And how much will it cost? The various reports on here suggest anything from free to 1,500 bt. It's enough to make one's eyes roll.

And another thing. Only 50 foreigners per day allowed at the DLT. So, even though there was no queue in the afternoon, mai dai.

I'm beginning to understand why people drive without a licence.

On 3/5/2021 at 3:00 PM, thoengthaied said:

med cert was/is not required for 5 yr licence or has it changed ???

On 3/5/2021 at 6:30 PM, Jackson B said:

proof of address you will need cert of residence !!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

med cert was/is not required for 5 yr licence or has it changed ???

As of Feb 19, 2021, a medical certificate is required for all licenses including renewal of 5 year license.  Although the new 2 part medical certificate is also supposed to be used, reports from those renewing at the Banglamung Land Transport Office (Pattaya) are that the old form is still being accepted.  How long that will continue is unknown.

4 hours ago, soisanuk said:

As of Feb 19, 2021, a medical certificate is required for all licenses including renewal of 5 year license.  Although the new 2 part medical certificate is also supposed to be used, reports from those renewing at the Banglamung Land Transport Office (Pattaya) are that the old form is still being accepted.  How long that will continue is unknown.

ok must have changed as things do in thailand

A couple of things - here in Pranburi when I went to renew on expiry 2 Feb they told me to come back 1 Aril and gave me a slip of paper stating passport and visa, doctor's cert and residence cert. Said my Tabien Baan was not accepted (Yellow book)

Went yesterday to check - now accept Tabien Bahn so that saved 2,000 baht at Immigration for residence cert - went to my local docs and he gave me a certificate for 200 baht. Pranburi does 2 'training sessions' 0900 and 1300 - docs have to be processed by 30 mins beforehand. Going Monday and will be interested what they give me- they have me a six year licence last time when I renewed my expiring 5 year oe!

• Like 1

Went on Monday 22nd March - handed in my docs - did the colour blindness, spacial and reaction tests without a problem - I felt sorry for the young girls who came for motorbike licences as they probably only encounter an accelerator and footbrake every 5 years!

Then sat for an hour watching the 'training video' accompanied by several sleeping Thais and others engrossed on their mobiles. Then got my 2 licences within 20 minutes (yet again they gave me 6 years so not complaining) 255 baht motorbike and 500 baht car