Author tag for Original Poster (OP)

lopburi3

Once again forum knows better - we have called starter of thread OP for 20 years but now they say we are wrong and it is "author".  So be it - it is nice to see included on OP relies in any case.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Pilotman said:

what the <deleted> is this all about, get a life,  it really doesn't matter a damn. 

Not arguing with you, but I offer an anecdote. . . Many years ago, maybe 20+, my mother used to work night shift in an old folks home. When it was taken over by a private company, all staff were informed they were no longer allowed to call the old folk 'old folk'. They were from now on to be rereferred to as the 'Service Users' and the old folks home and company was now to be called the 'Service Provider'. You can call it progress or whatever it is they call it. To me they'll always be old folk in an old folks home.

19 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Once again forum knows better - we have called starter of thread OP for 20 years but now they say we are wrong and it is "author".  So be it - it is nice to see included on OP relies in any case.

I am trying to figure out what this topic is about.

On this page, I see the word "author" twice:

1. In the topic title.

2. In the OP (original post, meaning the first post in the topic) written by the OP (original poster, meaning the person who created the topic)

On what page on forum/thaivisa.com does who say that it is wrong to call the starter of a thread OP and that it is "author"?

Was pointing out that forum software now prints "author" on any post made by the OP in a thread they started - making it easier to remember who is posting what - a good thing.   My satire was missed it seems.  Forum software has a habit of calling things something other than what users normally call them.  OP has been our term for decades but software new feature decides to call them author (like a new member title).  Forum software believes all four letter words need to be removed even when they are not offensive and that we now must edit posts in a different manner.  Daddy is watching.  PC I can understand - ridiculous software not so much.

Edited by lopburi3

13 hours ago, NilSS said:

Not arguing with you, but I offer an anecdote. . . Many years ago, maybe 20+, my mother used to work night shift in an old folks home. When it was taken over by a private company, all staff were informed they were no longer allowed to call the old folk 'old folk'. They were from now on to be rereferred to as the 'Service Users' and the old folks home and company was now to be called the 'Service Provider'. You can call it progress or whatever it is they call it. To me they'll always be old folk in an old folks home.

By any definition, I am one of those 'old folks' and I would take great exception at being called so by anyone, as it is highly insulting.  'Senior citizen' is fine, 'old folks' is definitely not.  Good on her company for seeing them as customers, as indeed they are. Your attitude is typical of a insensitive breed that have little respect and even less understanding.  Your turn will come my friend, if it hasn't already. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Was pointing out that forum software now prints "author" on any post made by the OP in a thread they started - making it easier to remember who is posting what - a good thing.   My satire was missed it seems.  Forum software has a habit of calling things something other than what users normally call them.  OP has been our term for decades but software new feature decides to call them author (like a new member title).  Forum software believes all four letter words need to be removed even when they are not offensive and that we now must edit posts in a different manner.  Daddy is watching.  PC I can understand - ridiculous software not so much.

Got it. I generally read the forum on my phone in the mobile Chrome browser and there the "Author" label does not show in the OP's posts. Switched to "Desktop site" for this topic just now and there it is, to the right of your posts' date stamp.

So now all of us who have ever started a topic on thaivisa.com can join the ranks of authors like Charles Dickens, George Bernard Shaw, Douglas Adams, John le Carré, Agatha Christie, Charlotte Brontë, etc. Next, I shall get a cheque for royalties, I guess.

This could change my perception of myself.

So I've been an "author" all along.

By golly, perhaps I actually did write the Great American Novel after all. 

I reckon a really long one too. 

Honestly I hadn't noticed this detail until the "author" here pointed it out. 

Edited by Jingthing