Pink ID card

18 hours ago, CharlieH said:

You will hear shouts for and against equally strong. There are MANY topic on this item.

Personally, it was easily obtained, better to have than not have, convenient for some things as you dont need your passport etc. 

BUT  as with so many things in Thailand its use and acceptance will vary from province to province and even by who you are dealing with.

Some cant even get one for all the red tape, others its a breeze.

Many will have a different story relative to their location and use.

Might help if the OP states where he is for more local comment to his area.

Very good advice.

The absolute key is how easy/difficult it is to get at your local district office.

I was lucky because I have permanent residence and it took all of 15 minutes to get my pink id card at my local office (Wattana district in Bangkok).

I have since experimented a lot with using the card, and (surprise, surprise) find huge variations as to knowledge and acceptance, even within central Bangkok. Some banks and my local post office accept it without a second glance instead of my passport, but some other places have never even seen one before, and look at it with deep suspicion! When I renewed my driving license last year it actually helped a lot, because as a PR I don't have a valid 'visa' in my passport, and none of the junior staff had ever seen a PR book before, and didn't know what to do. Luckily the manage recognised it, and asked if I had a pink id card which she said helped a lot because it has my 'local' id number on it.

If its easy enough to get go for it, it doesn't do any harm having one, and only cost about 100 baht if I remember rightly.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, carlyai said:

On the back of my car licence is a heading called Restrictions. The restrictions are that I have to take a piece of paper from the local amphur when I travel outside the district and show it with my licence if asked by police.

Can you post a picture of this? I've never seen it

8 minutes ago, Susco said:

The Pink ID card is a replacement for a certificate of residence (aka address), but it is not a replacement for your passport (aka identification).

That's wrong, it's exactly the opposite.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, carlyai said:

On the back of my car licence is a heading called Restrictions. The restrictions are that I have to take a piece of paper from the local amphur when I travel outside the district and show it with my licence if asked by police.

could you post a photo of that please. 

23 minutes ago, Susco said:

You can't renew a driver license without your passport.

Yes you can. I know someone and have seen his licence and it has his pink ID card number on it, not his passport.

By coincidence his pink ID card issue number is the one previous to mine, long before we ever met.

21 hours ago, Surelynot said:

My wife is pushing me to get a pink ID........I asked her what are the benefits...she said no idea.....is it worth it? I am a Brit living her None O-A marriage.

It's not worth it. Just use your driving licence. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, arick said:

It's not worth it. Just use your driving licence. 

I don't know about your local medical services, but around here you cannot register at a hospital or use the free mobile health clinics with a driving licence.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

As Charlie said.

Visit your Amphur to determine what requirements are needed for the yellow book and the accompanying pink card.

Then make up your mind as to whether it is worth “ jumping the hurdles “ or is it just  “ a walk in the park “.

My Amphur office insist that I must be married to get a Yellow Book/ Pink Card. Hurdles or walk, I am not doing it!

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I don't know about your local medical services, but around here you cannot register at a hospital or use the free mobile health clinics with a driving licence.

Just need a yellow book to register 

19 minutes ago, sandyf said:

When I arrived here 26 years ago, there were no yellow books or pink cards, but there were diver licenses.

Guess what I used to register at the local government hospital

It is also good for checking into hotels, I use my pink ID instead of my passport and never had any problems. I don't carry my passport anymore (Although, I do carry a lamenated wallet size passport of my ID page and extension page).

• Like 2

Married since 2000 and living here full time since 2010. Asked the wife, and she says she never heard of either yellow tabien baan or pink card, and she goes with me to Immigration every year for extension.

Edited by mahtin
typo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Getting the Tabien baan - yellow book, was a real pain for us. Our local office clearly had never done it (Khlong Sam Wa) because we needed copies of legalised marriage certificate, legalised passport, in fact pretty much everything legalised and then to cap it all they insisted on at least 3 interviews, the last one must have a proper interpreter present (employed by me of course) to interpret and protect me. When i pointed out that my wife spoke fluent English that was discounted as she might be cheating or deceiving me. Cost a 1000 baht plus for the interpreter and finally once thee decided they could put no more hurdles in my way they only issued the yellow book in a ceremony held in the marriage room with photographers etc picturing it being handed over and a congratulatory speech by the head of the office and several of the senior staff in the picture. The picture later appeared in their in house magazine! But the pink I.D card was a matter of paying a few baht, showing the passport and yellow book and took only a few minutes. However, I  have to say I have NEVER had occasion to use it, the bank refuses to even look at it and no one else takes any notice of it so I question it's value.

Edited by cliveshep
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, dsj said:

It is also good for checking into hotels, I use my pink ID instead of my passport and never had any problems. I don't carry my passport anymore (Although, I do carry a lamenated wallet size passport of my ID page and extension page).

Do they ask to see the laminated page dsj?...because I thought-they are suppose to send a fax page to immigration office everyday reporting what guests they have.

8 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Do they ask to see the laminated page dsj?...because I thought-they are suppose to send a fax page to immigration office everyday reporting what guests they have.

The report is only sent once after a guest checks in. The are done online not by fax. They might be doing them by email to immigration while the site is down.

For what it’s worth I think it’s worth having. Stops you having to use your passport to check into hotels in Thailand for one thing, and post offices will accept it instead of your passport if you’re sending registered mail.  Once you’ve got your yellow book it’s a couple of hours at city hall to get it. Cost was Thb 200 from memory.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

Stops you having to use your passport to check into hotels in Thailand for one thing, and post offices will accept it instead of your passport if you’re sending registered mail.

A Thai driving license works on both of these occasions as well, and most people have one and carry them around already anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

You can't renew a driver license without your passport.

The Pink ID card is a replacement for a certificate of residence (aka address), but it is not a replacement for your passport (aka identification).

[quote] I don't know anymore as it was the first time a mob of us eating Wednesdays lunch together had ever hear of it or noticed the Restrictions on the back of the licence.[/quote]

I suggest you avoid the person who was telling that BS, because there is no such restriction, and that is also why you never heard about it.

You can get/renew a license with yellow book/Pink ID.

ID number is then on your license instead of Passport number.

It comes down to the document you originally used as ID, as to what appears on your license and what is the ongoing document for ID.

Start with a passport, passport number is on licence and passport is used for subsequent renewals etc.

Start with a Yellow/pink ID and the ID number appears on your license and is the ID used for subsequent renewals.

Its a case of most people dont have a pink ID when they get initial license, but if they do it is accepted.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1