Pink ID card

I gives me a wry smirk when I read 'Depends on the Amphur' regardng pricing because you never read 'Depends on the DLT' when you go to renew your driver's license. The fees are mandated at a national level and are the same everywhere, and the pink ID card is issued free of charge. Any fee charged for it is just plain vanilla theft.

I have the Tabien Baan, Work Permit, Social Security card, Pink ID, everything you can think of I have it. . . I never used the Pink ID once, for anything. The only thing I can think of where it MIGHT be used it for getting out of some kind of translation hole. In any case, it took 30 minutes to get and cost nothing, so why not have it? IIRC, I believe there is some law that states you are SUPPOSED to get it anyways if you're on a Tabien Baan.

Edited by NilSS
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NilSS said:

I gives me a wry smirk when I read 'Depends on the Amphur' regardng pricing because you never read 'Depends on the DLT' when you go to renew your driver's license. The fees are mandated at a national level and are the same everywhere, and the pink ID card is issued free of charge. Any fee charged for it is just plain vanilla theft.

I have the Tabien Baan, Work Permit, Social Security card, Pink ID, everything you can think of I have it. . . I never used the Pink ID once, for anything. The only thing I can think of where it MIGHT be used it for getting out of some kind of translation hole. In any case, it took 30 minutes to get and cost nothing, so why not have it? IIRC, I believe there is some law that states you are SUPPOSED to get it anyways if you're on a Tabien Baan.

I had to pay 20 baht for my Pink ID card (I think it was 20 baht, it was a negligible amount)...

Not sure I’ll call that plain vanilla theft, rather it falls into the ‘grey area’ of an Amphur office attempting to recover the costs.

----

Immigration charging 500 baht for a Letter of Residence is theft - 50 or 100 baht to cover any costs, fair enough. 

The Embassy Charging 2600 baht for an Affirmation of Residence is theft... I don’t care if their prices are published and they give you a receipt !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NilSS said:

Won't argue with that. in 20 years I only had to visit the British Embassy once, and twice to renew my passport. I managed to largely avoid the place by doing everything through local channels.

Strange, it's over 20 years since the embassy outsourced this service. 

On 3/5/2021 at 2:24 PM, CharlieH said:

Personally, it was easily obtained, better to have than not have

This sums up the position well and succinctly.I believe that its value will increase as years go by and it is more widely recognized.I have been assured its use in line with government policy.The problem at present is that one can never be entirely sure whether it will be accepted as ID or not, and thus need to carry one's passport just in case - which defeats the object of the exercise.I must confess to fibbing when checking in to a five star hotel which asked for my passport.I said the pink card was all I had with me (untrue - the passport was in my pocket). They accepted the pink card albeit reluctantly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jayboy said:

This sums up the position well and succinctly.I believe that its value will increase as years go by and it is more widely recognized.I have been assured its use in line with government policy.The problem at present is that one can never be entirely sure whether it will be accepted as ID or not, and thus need to carry one's passport just in case - which defeats the object of the exercise.I must confess to fibbing when checking in to a five star hotel which asked for my passport.I said the pink card was all I had with me (untrue - the passport was in my pocket). They accepted the pink card albeit reluctantly.

Now heres another example of how things can vary. I went to a Hotel a few days ago, they didnt ask for anything! Nothing at all. Just the wifes ID was enough. Thailand ...geez.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd like one but once I see that you need the poo yai baan and certified translations I just can't be bothered. I've never seen my local poo yai or police and I don't see why I have to inconvenience them to get the yellow book. If living here for nearly 10 years and seeing me every 90 days along with the visa extension is not enough proof that I'm legitimate I don't know what is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm sure the pink card will impress the go go girls. 

Its been law for many years that foreigners need to have an alien certificate which was then replaced by pink Non-Thai card. 

This was only ever enforced with migrant workers. 

These days, some western people think it elevates their status somewhat, which is total BS. It gives you absolutely no rights. 

I'd like the pink card to avoid paying 5 times the Thai entrance fee to enter national parks, not have to get a immigration certificate of address everytime I renew my licenses, etc.etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Why didn't you give your passport if it was in your pocket? 

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Now heres another example of how things can vary. I went to a Hotel a few days ago, they didnt ask for anything! Nothing at all. Just the wifes ID was enough. Thailand ...geez.

I recently went to a Hotel and all they needed was my ID, not my wife or kids. 

They just need one per room usually. 

2 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

I'd like the pink card to avoid paying 5 times the Thai entrance fee to enter national parks, not have to get a immigration certificate of address everytime I renew my licenses, etc.etc.

How would showing a card with NON THAI written on the front get you the Thai price? 

In my local driving place, they don't accept pink cards, only yellow housebooks or other proof. 

Edited by Neeranam

Just now, Neeranam said:

How would showing a card with NON THAI written on the front get you the Thai price? 

Lady who took my money to enter a national park told me next time come with a Thai pink ID card and you only pay Thai entrance fee.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I'd like one but once I see that you need the poo yai baan and certified translations I just can't be bothered. I've never seen my local poo yai or police and I don't see why I have to inconvenience them to get the yellow book. If living here for nearly 10 years and seeing me every 90 days along with the visa extension is not enough proof that I'm legitimate I don't know what is.

The pink card has nothing to do with immigration. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

It depends on the class of hotel.Five or four star tend to ask for it.As you say majority very flexible or will only ask for wife's ID.

1 minute ago, Banana7 said:

Lady who took my money to enter a national park told me next time come with a Thai pink ID card and you only pay Thai entrance fee.

Strange logic. 

I used to get in these places just by speaking Thai. They told me a few times that was the only reason. 

Only ever been refused entry to one, Phi Mai 

3 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Because, as I thought would have been obvious, I wanted to check if the pink card could substitute for passport.

I used my pink ID before to not have to do some nonsense with the immigration, TM something if leaving home. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I too have had extensive contact with migrant workers and employed them for a decade. Spend a lot of time in labor office  and immigration dealing with it.

Many DO in fact have passports and visas.  Not all of course, but certainly very many. I just got back from going through the process now necessary to extend work permit  and visa for those here under LA visa arrangement whose LA visa's have expired. Mobbed with migrants with passports and LA visas.

Good to hear. As I just heard things are upgrading here especially after the last couple of years. My wife said the workers she and her friends with business mostly now hire the young to middle age ones as many will have the passport. It is categorized as work passport and they are in-fact regulars workers which enjoy more travel freedom. I also just called a friend of mine who is director of a very large factory in Samut Sakhon. She said now more have  or are getting work passports as now easier for them to get since most of their workers are pretty young to middle aged, but there are still many who do not but are registered as they never went through the (NV) National Verification process. They are irregular workers and these are the ones who are restricted to travel only in their work province. So again going back to the pink id and drivers license, I believe it is attached to cover the irregular workers of how the old days were regarding their travel restrictions of moving about freely, and now the normal regular workers still get a pink id but will get a drivers license using their passport. so yes, you are correct and more are getting or have those passports now. BTW. My wife said 2 of her last workers did not have that passport but her permanent ones do.

Edited by holy cow cm

13 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Good to hear. As I just heard things are upgrading here especially after the last couple of years. My wife said the workers she and her friends with business mostly now hire the young to middle age ones as many will have the passport. It is categorized as work passport and they are in-fact regulars workers which enjoy more travel freedom. I also just called a friend of mine who is director of a very large factory in Samut Sakhon. She said now more have  or are getting work passports as now easier for them to get since most of their workers are pretty young to middle aged, but there are still many who do not but are registered as they never went through the (NV) National Verification process. They are irregular workers and these are the ones who are restricted to travel only in their work province. So again going back to the pink id and drivers license, I believe it is attached to cover the irregular workers of how the old days were regarding their travel restrictions of moving about freely, and now the normal regular workers still get a pink id but will get a drivers license using their passport. so yes, you are correct and more are getting or have those passports now. BTW. My wife said 2 of her last workers did not have that passport but her permanent ones do.

Do migrant workers still get their pink ID with English writing on the front? 

I have had yellow tabien baan and pink ID card for about five years. The book and the ID card are not as useful as I wished they should be, e.g. getting Thai price at national parks. I have however, on a few occasions, found book and/or ID card useful for certain things, such as opening a bank account, hospital visits and renewing my drivers license. And no need to ever pay the 500-baht-without-a-receipt for a residence certificate at immigration anymore.

I have found a really good thing though, and that is that the yellow book is really useful for the Thai citizen application (going straight for this one is possible if you're married, no need to go for PR first). Of course many more things are needed than just a yellow tabien baan, but it is at least a start. I even took notice of the translation guy at MFA asking me if I, later on, wanted to become a Thai citizen.

Edited by Bertil
no particular reason
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, arick said:

Yes you can register with anything but do you get anything for free. 

Yes. I have had free flu jab and free check up at the mobile health clinic.

I had another appointment with the mobile health clinic in Jan but was cancelled due to the restrictions, just waiting for it to be rescheduled.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, gamini said:

Absolutely essential if you use government hospitals. If you don't have 

a p[nk ID you might have to wait an hour or two while they  get somebody to translate the required information from your passport or whatever else you use before they  issue a hospital card. Which is now only valid for one day. I have had to attend a government clinic every day for a wound treatment and each time they insisted on the pink card.

Yes indeed. I am registered with 5 government hospitals but 2 of them and in particular the one I use the most have a system that has your photo on the appointment card. You only need to show ID card if no previous appointment.

The ID card is great improvement on the old days when you had to keep handing in your passport.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1