Pink ID card

31 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I've not read every post, but does anyone have a pink ID which does NOT have the following text on the back?

I think they are all the same. Event those with PR get the same card.

As far as I know it is not enforced.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think they are all the same. Event those with PR get the same card.

As far as I know it is not enforced.

Yeah, that would make sense.

There are a couple of members who have apparently had restricted driving licences issued (or at least threatened) based upon the "can't leave the issuing area" clause.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, that would make sense.

There are a couple of members who have apparently had restricted driving licences issued (or at least threatened) based upon the "can't leave the issuing area" clause.

I've posted on this before in a thread on Pink ID cards.

A few of us Falangs meet for lunch Wednesdays. At one lunch session it came up that if you use your Pink ID card as your identification to renew your licence you get the district restriction written on the back of your licence. So you are supposed to get a letter from the local Ampur that says you can drive outside the local area. Then, if you are challenged by the police you show your licence and letter. The letter part doesn't seem to be enforced. One of the guys was stopped at a Covid check point and a junior police asked for the letter but a senior police said not to worry. 

Soooo when you get a licence extension or a licence it is best to use your passport as ID, then you don't get a licence with Restrictions written on it. ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@carlyai yeah, I knew I'd read that somewhere. I wonder if it's just a few DLT offices or countrywide.

The blanks they are using for the pink IDs are pretty old as they don't have the smart bit, so I suspect they are using up old stock from when they were just issued to migrant workers / Karen etc. That PR holders have the same wording on the back suggests that.

Just another of the quirks of the Thai system.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2021 at 3:09 PM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I have the Tabien Baan, Work Permit, Social Security card, Pink ID, everything you can think of I have it. . . I never used the Pink ID once, for anything. The only thing I can think of where it MIGHT be used it for getting out of some kind of translation hole. In any case, it took 30 minutes to get and cost nothing, so why not have it? IIRC, I believe there is some law that states you are SUPPOSED to get it anyways if you're on a Tabien Baan.

Oddly, since I said that just a few months ago, I've had cause to use my pink ID a number of times and it's started proving very useful. For example. . .

• It was accepted by AIS as ID for registering a SIM card (didn't have my passport with me)
  • When ordering a new True internet package yesterday, they told me foreigners have to pay 1 year in advance, but showing pink ID got me treated like a Thai and only pay first month in advance
  • A number of other use cases which I can't remember just now, but all in the last few months. Strange that I had it for so many years but all of a sudden it became useful in a flurry of incidents

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

It's getting weirder. A couple of days ago I went to make a complaint to the police about a robbery. The police weren't interested in my passport for their report, they wanted my pink ID card. It's like some switch has been flicked and everyone wants me to show it now. Got to admit I'm scratching my head.

The paperwork the police use is designed to be completed using a thai id card, not a passport that will have a different number or digits. The lazy officer probably doesn't know how to complete lt using not enough/too many digits for the number of boxes provided on the form. 

On 5/29/2021 at 2:37 AM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

It's getting weirder. A couple of days ago I went to make a complaint to the police about a robbery. The police weren't interested in my passport for their report, they wanted my pink ID card. It's like some switch has been flicked and everyone wants me to show it now. Got to admit I'm scratching my head.

In some cases scratching your B...S feels better. 55555????

1 minute ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

This week my wife went to do some kind of paperwork regarding my social security. They insisted my SS ID be changed to the number on my pink ID card. My old SS card can now be tossed in the bin apparently.

Meanwhile, I asked my office to change my SS to my pink card number - "Too hard" was the response.

• Like 1

I stopped by the Phuket Dept of Transport yesterday to make an appointment to renew my Thai driver's license (currently I have the temporary 2 year license that expires this month).  It was a spur of the moment decision based on my Thai wife pushing me to stop when we were driving by (its easier to stop and be refused by DOT than argue with my wife).  I had just come from getting the 'medical certificate' from a Doctor.  I didn't have my Yellow Book with me, but the staff member at the Department of Transport noted my address on the back of my Pink ID card, and they made the appointment (in about 6 weeks time). They did thou advise me to bring my Yellow Book as proof of residence, when I come for the appointment.  I've been told other's (who don't have a Yellow Book / Pink ID) in a similar situation to mine, had to obtain paperwork from Thai immigration to state their residence for licence renewal, so the Yellow Book / Pink ID combination appeared to have helped me avoid that extra step.

My wife specifically asked at the License bureau, would using my pink Thai ID result in them putting a limitation on the Thai Driver's license for driving only in Phuket and she was told there would be no such restriction - and that it would be good across Thailand.

Of course, we won't know for certain, until after 6 weeks time, when I go for the appointment and hopefully get the renewal.

But at present, the Thai ID appears to have helped.

I also opened a new bank account at Krungsri bank here in Phuket last week, and the pink ID helped for that also.  Was it 100% necessary?  Absolutely not IMHO, as the "Yellow Book" (for proof of residence) together with "Passport" combination appears to have more 'weight' as a foreigner, than only the pink-ID. But the Pink ID is a LOT easier to carry around - and can help to start the paperwork moving.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

They did thou advise me to bring my Yellow Book as proof of residence, when I come for the appointment.  I've been told other's (who don't have a Yellow Book / Pink ID) in a similar situation to mine, had to obtain paperwork from Thai immigration to state their residence for licence renewal, so the Yellow Book / Pink ID combination appeared to have helped me avoid that extra step.

That's because of the yellow book, has nothing to do with the pink ID card.

My wife specifically asked at the License bureau, would using my pink Thai ID result in them putting a limitation on the Thai Driver's license for driving only in Phuket and she was told there would be no such restriction - and that it would be good across Thailand.

If you would use your passport instead of the pink ID card you can be certain that the driving license doesn't contain such a limitation.

No it hasn't, the yellow book helps you to not need a certificate of residence from immigration, but the pink ID card has nothing to do with it.

I also opened a new bank account at Krungsri bank here in Phuket last week, and the pink ID helped for that also.  Was it 100% necessary?  Absolutely not IMHO, as the "Yellow Book" (for proof of residence) together with "Passport" combination appears to have more 'weight' as a foreigner, than only the pink-ID. But the Pink ID is a LOT easier to carry around - and can help to start the paperwork moving.

You can open a bank account at Krungsri with just passport and rental contract.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

That's because of the yellow book, has nothing to do with the pink ID card.

Actually it does. You can't get the latter without the other, and once you get a Tabien Baan, there is some legalese that states you're supposed to get the Pink ID. Back in the day when I got my Pink ID, long before lots of farang started doing it (I was the first person at my Amphur to do so) my wife used this legalese to show the Amphur staff I was supposed to be issued the ID, as they were being obstinate about it. Once reading that, they thanked her for the information and issued the card.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 10:22 AM, jackdd said:

No it hasn't, the yellow book helps you to not need a certificate of residence from immigration, but the pink ID card has nothing to do with it.

Yes it did help.

I would have had to go back home, get my yellow book, go back to the Department of Transport, and show the Yellow Book to them, before they would have made an appointment.  They wanted proof of the residence prior to making the appointment. But since they saw the pink ID, they knew pretty much to get that ID I needed the yellow book, so they believed me when I said I had a Yellow book, so they made the appointment - but cautioned me to bring the Yellow Book (and a copy of appropriate pages) when I returned.

It may not be the same for everyone else's experience, but in this case, since I did not have my yellow book with me (and did not have paper work from Immigration saying my residence), without the pink ID I would not have obtained the appointment.

Edited by oldcpu

On 6/9/2021 at 9:57 AM, oldcpu said:

I stopped by the Phuket Dept of Transport yesterday to make an appointment to renew my Thai driver's license (currently I have the temporary 2 year license that expires this month).  It was a spur of the moment decision based on my Thai wife pushing me to stop when we were driving by (its easier to stop and be refused by DOT than argue with my wife).  I had just come from getting the 'medical certificate' from a Doctor.  I didn't have my Yellow Book with me, but the staff member at the Department of Transport noted my address on the back of my Pink ID card, and they made the appointment (in about 6 weeks time). They did thou advise me to bring my Yellow Book as proof of residence, when I come for the appointment.  I've been told other's (who don't have a Yellow Book / Pink ID) in a similar situation to mine, had to obtain paperwork from Thai immigration to state their residence for licence renewal, so the Yellow Book / Pink ID combination appeared to have helped me avoid that extra step.

Of course, we won't know for certain, until after 6 weeks time, when I go for the appointment and hopefully get the renewal.

Why would you even show them the Pink ID card at DOT and how did it help? Because it had your address? I thought the address was on the front. You only have to renew every 5 year, not too big an inconvenience to take your yellow book.

How did it help in the bank? Most banks only give an account if you have your passport.

On 6/9/2021 at 10:42 AM, phetpeter said:

OMG, I never more negative, and opposing views anywhere except on Thai Visa, I never carry passport anywhere, when asked for ID. I produce my Pink ID card. It has enough details to satisfy everywhere. Number name and address, plus photo. I suppose if you turn drunk, giving attitude, looking like you wear the same clothes all week. perhaps you have a problem. Yellow book starts the ball rolling, Pink ID costs anywhere from Free to 100baht. No more lost or damaged Passport. There are no problems to get except if you cause it yourself.

There is a fee, 60 baht.

This card is not accepted at most hotels, airlines. Those people that accept it, don't know what it is. 

It is basically for people who don't have a passport. 

On 6/10/2021 at 12:49 PM, oldcpu said:

Yes it did help.

I would have had to go back home, get my yellow book, go back to the Department of Transport, and show the Yellow Book to them, before they would have made an appointment.  They wanted proof of the residence prior to making the appointment. But since they saw the pink ID, they knew pretty much to get that ID I needed the yellow book, so they believed me when I said I had a Yellow book, so they made the appointment - but cautioned me to bring the Yellow Book (and a copy of appropriate pages) when I returned.

It may not be the same for everyone else's experience, but in this case, since I did not have my yellow book with me (and did not have paper work from Immigration saying my residence), without the pink ID I would not have obtained the appointment.

You can make an appointment by phone.

On 3/12/2021 at 5:57 PM, jackdd said:

Here an example of the back of a driving license which you might get if you apply for it with your pink id card instead of a passport (thanks to @carlyai)

p91cgbk0bIvUyPq6HgE-o.thumb.jpg.2ffc03949ce62b23c15de43c1b5b5883.jpg

My own translation of the line below "Restrictions":

In case of driving out of the area(*) it has to be used together with a permit which allows to leave the area.

*It is issued by the amphoe, so I would assume area = amphoe in this case.

I have the Pink card ID on my Licence but it doesn't list Restrictions 

45 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Why would you even show them the Pink ID card at DOT and how did it help?

It helped because they were not going to make an appointment for me. Yes - some DOT will make an appointment over the phone, but not Phuket. They wanted to confirm I had all the needed paper work prior to booking an appointment.

They wanted to see a COR (Certificate of Residence) from Immigration proving my address.  My wife and I noted I had a Yellow Book which is an official document of one's residence address, and my Pink ID has the address from the Yellow book.   They asked to see the Yellow Book (so to make the appointment) and I did not have it with me.  I did thou have my Thai Pink ID, and they stated that would be sufficient to make the appointment and told me to bring the Yellow book when I show up for the end-July appointment.

Now they also told me (prior to accepting the Thai pink ID) I could NOT make an appointment, but go immediately to Immigration and get a COR, come back, and they would make an appointment.  Or I could immediately go home, get my yellow book, come back and they would make an appointment.  Or I could argue with them that to make an appointment I should need no document, and waste both their time and mine,  and get no where.

So they accepted the Pink ID.  Did it help?  I think it did help.  You can form your opinion if arguing with them for 1/2 hour, or if going to immigration and back (to get a COR), or if going home and back (to get Yellow Book) helped more. 

Was the ID essential?  Of course not.  No one is saying it is.  Did it help. For certain.  I guess we will disagree here.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

It helped because they were not going to make an appointment for me. Yes - some DOT will make an appointment over the phone, but not Phuket. They wanted to confirm I had all the needed paper work prior to booking an appointment.

They wanted to see a COR (Certificate of Residence) from Immigration proving my address.  My wife and I noted I had a Yellow Book which is an official document of one's residence address, and my Pink ID has the address from the Yellow book.   They asked to see the Yellow Book (so to make the appointment) and I did not have it with me.  I did thou have my Thai Pink ID, and they stated that would be sufficient to make the appointment and told me to bring the Yellow book when I show up for the end-July appointment.

Now the also told me I could NOT make an appointment, but go immediately to Immigration and get a COR, come back, and they would make an appointment.  Or I could immediately go home, get my yellow book, and they would make an appointment.  Or I could argue with them that to make an appointment I should need no document, and waste both their time and mine,  and get no where.

So they accepted the Pink ID.  Did it help?  I think it did help.  You can form your opinion if arguing with them for 1/2 hour, or if going to immigration and back (to get a COR), or if going home and back (to get Yellow Book) helped more. 

Was the ID essential?  Of course not.  No one is saying it is.  Did it help. For certain.  I guess we will disagree here.

I see, it did help you, saved you a trip home. For me, the DOL is 5 minute drive from my home. 

46 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

This card is not accepted at most hotels, airlines.

I haven't tried it with an Airline.  I have not tried it with most hotels.  Do you really know the policy of most hotels?

I have only been at 2 Thai hotels since getting the pink-ID. Both accepted it in lieu of my passport. Was I surprised they accepted it in lieu of the passport?  Yes I was surprised.  But they accepted it.

I have only been to 2 hotels, not to most.  I seriously doubt I will ever know the policy of most hotels - and those who do know most hotels policy must travel a LOT to have visited most hotels (or they simply generalize).

Edited by oldcpu

1 minute ago, oldcpu said:

I haven't tried it with an Airline.  I have not tried it with most hotels.  Do you really know the policy of most hotels?

I have only been at 2 Thai hotels since getting the pink-ID. Both accepted it in lieu of my passport. Was I surprised they accepted it in lieu of the passport?  Yes I was surprised.  But they accepted it.

I have only been to 2 hotels, not to most.  I seriously doubt I will ever know the policy of most hotels - and those who do know most hotels policy must travel a LOT to have visited most hotels (or they simply generalize).

According to the law, the hotel must see your passport, for sure, there will be some that accept the card instead. 

The problem with this card, unlike the Thai ID card, is that the name is in Thai. Actually, for refugees/stateless people, the pink card is in English.

2 minutes ago, wozza said:

I used my card at the security checkpoint at the airport and they couldn't accept it because my name was in Thai and my boarding pass was in English , had to show passport to confirm 

Domestic travel or international?

30 minutes ago, wozza said:

I have the Pink card ID on my Licence but it doesn't list Restrictions 

Its interesting.  My license is only the 2 year temporary, and I will have it renewed (hopefully) end-July for a longer period of time.  My temporary license has no such restriction (but I did not use the pink-ID to get such). I will find out end-July, if the new license has such when I use the pink-ID.  As noted, DOT told me already, there would be no such restriction - but one never knows.

Still I confess I wonder if there could be more than 'just the pink ID' being the reason for the restrictions - although I have no valid alternate explanation.